Opinions on Air France?

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 05:55 AM
liz

Opinions on Air France?

I'll be taking Air France to Madrid via Paris. Is anyone familiar with that route and how the service is typically? Just curious what experiences people have had....Oh, I'm departing from Chicago, as well in case that factors...

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 06:07 AM
anne

We've flown in both their 777's and airbus 340 from IAD to Paris in the last few months and have been very happy with the aircraft, food, and service.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 07:01 AM
Bob Brown

If it is real Air France, and not some code share like with Delta, I think AF is ok. I flew it back from Zurich via CDG (in Paris) to Atlanta. The major problem was that the flight from Zurich was over an hour late on a clear day, and we had a mad scramble to get to our
flight home. There was absolutely no assistance from anyone to get us to the connecting gate in another building on time. That may be more a CDG function, but AF is the big brother in that airport. So I would say good luck.
At least our luggage made it, much to my surprise. But, the flight home was delayed for a navigational check -- so I was told. Thank heavens, or we might have been stuck.

I think the moral to the story is this:
allow at least 2 hours of connecting time at CDG if you can because afternoon flights are often delayed I am told.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 07:02 AM
Paul

We flew Air France last year Boston-Paris-Florence and back. We had very nice flights all around, and found AF to be a very pleasant airline on which to travel. Since the French believe that you should have wine with every meal except for breakfast, Air France offers wine to passengers in coach at no additional charge - quite a nice touch! I'd definately use AF again.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 11:44 AM
Diane

I flew Air France last year from Paris to Athens. It was pleasant. We were in first class which was a bit different from what I expected. The seats were the same in both classes of service -- 3 across on each side of the aisle. The only difference was that they put a tray on the middle seat in first class so no one could sit there. Also they drew a curtain differentiating the sections; otherwise they were identical. The food in first class was superb. Before boarding one of the flights (I don't remember in which direction) we had to walk out to the plane and identify our checked luggage before they would put them in the hole. That's the only time I've had to do that.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 11:47 AM
Diane

I must add, too, that on the way back to Paris, Air France decided to have three classes of service: first, business, and coach. The only thing that set the three classes apart was the drawing of a curtain. There was one man in business class and he was complaining loudly about not being in first class. We really laughed at this one. The seats in all three classes were exactly the same.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:00 PM
MarkJ

We flew AF (thanks to SpanAir) from Madrid to Washing D.C. The Madrid to Paris leg was in a single cabin jet and the crew were very nice. Paris to Washington we were in business class, very very nice. The seats were large leather that almost reclined to full horizantal. They were definatly nicer than coach but different from 1st class. The crew, food service etc were excellent.

Have a great trip.

MarkJ

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 03:43 PM
Julie

Just make sure you don't check any luggage. On the flight to Paris they lost the one bag we checked. While trying to track down the bag we were informed that it was at the airport but since we were not 1st class passangers they would not put the luggage in a taxi to send it to our hotel - they said we had to wait for their carrier service which was backed up and so we would have to wait 2 or 3 days or pay for the taxi ourselves. We were just a little upset and called the parent company who said they would reimburse us for $200 worth of clothes but would not pay for the taxi. Oh - then on the way home we checked 3 bags and they lost 2 of them. Not a very good track record.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:24 AM
mark

I've checked the Delta/AF code share flights from ATL to Vienna, via CDG. It appears the only choices are A) staying overnight in Paris because the connections don't match up or B) having only 45 minutes to change planes. Can anyone shed light on this?

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 06:25 AM
lynn

I made the Delta/AF flight to Munich via CDG last September, and I had one hour to make the connection. I mapped out CDG ahead of time and hustled once I landed! No problem. On the return flight, I had the same type of connection at CDG, and even less time to make it. People were boarding the flight as I arrived at the gate. It can be done, but you need to move quickly!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:07 AM
s.fowler

My experience with AF is that they are fine in the air, but lousy on the ground. The only exception was the last trip [when we were flying AF on Delta tickets to get swissair miles!. The refuelers were pulling a "work stoppage" - AF couldn't have been better about arranging for Sabena to rescue us.
Then there was the time at CGD when we were on consolidator tickets [read sub_steerage] - we had come to the airport eons early - and the agent said she had no seats together - and when I said I didn't want to be apart from my husband - she said "It's only 7 hours." I walked away in tears. Wonderful hubby got in another line and managed to get us seats together.
In the air you can hardy do better - on the groud - eeeeuuuwww.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:09 AM
s.fowler

My experience is from Chicago. I've had only pleasant dealings with them there. It's when you get to CGD that you can kiss civility goodbye.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:20 AM
Paul

Mark - you will probably come into Terminal 2C at CDG, and leave from Temrinal 2F. When you get off at 2C, you have to follow the signs for "Correspondence" (transfer), which will take you down to the street level, but still inside the airport. You will then get onto a transfer bus which will drive you to 2F. 45 minutes is tight - ask the cabin crew if you can get off first to make the connection.

The web site for the airport is:
http://www.paris-airports.com/gb/roi/frame.htm

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 12:34 PM
beth

Flying was ok, not great, but their ground service is lousy...they are not helpfull and have no concept of customer service at all. All I would say about Air France is if you are checking luggage...beware, as someone else mentioned they have lost quite a bit of luggage..including mine returing from a trip to E.Europe through Paris. Tag your bags very clearly! and dont pack anything you cant replace!!!

Old Mar 6th, 2000, 05:35 PM
anna

Aside from the fact that they seem to go on strike every year or two, my only other complaint was that when they DID go on strike, two weeks before our trip, it was impossible to get any information from their 800 numhber. When I did get through, I got only rude French people, until I did a thorough search on the internet and came up with the direct line number to their desk at O'Hare and got a lovely woman who was incredibly helpful and got us rerouted, but told us she never would have been able to find us an alternate route if we had waited til 24 hours before flight time to call back like the rude French lady told us to do. Oh, and the restroom stunk on the return flight.