Reload this Page >

Opinions: London Layover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 09:49 AM
bly

Please give opinions or advice regarding my London itinerary. <BR> <BR>We'll be 6 adults arriving into Gatwick at 10:40am and departing from Heathrow at 4pm. On return, we'll be arriving in Gatwick at 8:45pm and departing the next day at 1:30pm. All int'l flights. <BR> <BR>My idea is to hire a driver w/ van for tranfers Gatwick to Heathrow. It's about L65 for driver vs. L17/pp on Airlink (coach). Any suggestions on passing the time at or near Heathrow? <BR> <BR>On return, since 3 of those travelling have never been to London, I was thinking of getting a hotel near Victoria Station and taking Gatwick express (L19.50/pp rt). Then get up in morning, see the Tower and Tower Bridge via tube. Return on Gatwick Express to airport. <BR> <BR>Anyone know the opening time of the Tower? I'm thinking it was around 9:30am. Too optimistic? OR should we stay near Gatwick instead? Suggestions on hotels near Victoria Station or Gatwick (I was looking at Holiday Inn Express) Any help would be appreciated. Becky

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 11:06 AM
Tammy

I believe the Tower opens at 9am, but to do it justice, you really need at least 3-4 hours. Since your initial plans are to stay near Victoria, I would suggest sightseeing in that area. Maybe taking a tour of Westminster Abbey or the Cabinet War Rooms. However, you need to keep in mind that you should be at Gatwick at least 2 hours before your flight leaves and the Express takes about 30 minutes. Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Tammy

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 11:19 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>just a suggestion: on your way in, you land at 1040 & should be at Heathrow by 2 PM (given intl flights). My guess is you won't be at Heathrow until 1230 or so, if you go straight there - which really doesn't leave enough time to explore that day. I SUPPOSE it would be doable if you really hoofed it & didn't have a lot of luggage, but why? <BR> <BR>the return - you are leaving from Gatwick too? if you don't mind the sleep factor, you could head into town that evening - but again, it's gonna be late. as in, no earlier than 11 PM when you get there and what are you going to do, save walk around and look and the sights in the moonlight? London closes up early - including public transport. <BR> <BR>if you got up really early & were packed & good to go, you could do as you like - just be at the airport by 1130 - which means don't leave London any later than 1030 (actually, earlier, given rush hour, if it is during the week). <BR> <BR>You know, I was just in London twice this past year, and pardon my ignorance (I have friends there to take care of me) but I know Heathrow has an express train - when did Gatwick get an express train? The last time I used Gatwick (which was a while ago, I have to admit) you cabbed it or had friends to pick you up. maybe I am confusing it with regular rail... <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 12:39 PM
elvira

The van idea is sooo worth it (the driver meets you outside immigrations, helps with the bags, and leads you to the van - which is usually parked curbside). As others have mentioned, you won't really have that much time at Heathrow (when you get to the airport, try to check your bags immediately so you don't have to drag them around; otherwise, consider going in groups, with one or two people left to watch the bags) but there's really good shopping and places to eat. Relax and take it easy at Heathrow - windowshop, get something to eat, washup in the bathroom, get your sealegs. <BR> <BR>On the way back, find a hotel at Gatwick (the Meridien? I think that's the name of one of them), get a good night's sleep, then, in the morning, take the Gatwick Express into London (Beth, it goes into Victoria Station) and take the double decker tour bus. With folks who haven't been to London, this is a lovely trip around the city, hitting all the high spots. Best part is that you can get off anytime you want, at any stop, so that you can catch the Gatwick Express back to the airport. You should be at Gatwick by 11:30 to check in.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:46 PM
Lori

By all means hire a van to get from Gatwick to Heathrow - well worth the money for convenience if nothing else. Be sure they understand there are 6 of you which means quite a bit of luggage. <BR> <BR>As for the return .. well I may be the only person on the planet who worries about missing flights but I would not try and go into London. There is really not enough time as you will need to check in at least 90 minutes ahead of your flight. <BR> <BR>You arrive at Gatwick at 8:45 so allow at least an hr for luggage collection, etc. meaning you won't get away from the airport until nearly 10 p.m. Too late to go into London I think - pretty much everything is closed anyway at that time. Unless you plan on getting up at 5 a.m. and taking the Gatwick Express Train into Victoria it does not pay to go into London for a couple of hours only. You would have to head back out nearly as soon as you got there. You always have to allow for some delays too, you never know. I'd get a hotel at Gatwick and get up in the a.m. normal like, have a decent breakfast and then be over at the airport by 11:30-noon. It amy not be too exciting but you won't run the risk of missing your flight and even if you get into town there is really not enough time to go anyplace. You will hit rush hour on the tube, etc. which is not a lot of fun.

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 05:36 PM
Peg

Windsor is only 20 minutes away from Heathrow. A perfect place to fill in a few hours. Peg.

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 07:47 PM
Julian

Sorry, but I concur with previous entries. You probably won't have any time to do much at Heathrow (Windsor is a smart idea, but even that is pushing it); and on the return you won't have time in the morning to do the Tower - the suggestion to do sights around Victoria, Westminster etc is sound (how about the London Eye?) if you think that going into London is worth it for that little time.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 06:28 AM
David White

Bly, <BR> <BR>Have to agree with some other posters...on the inbound leg, you'll just have enough time to get your bags, clear customs, etc at Gatwick and to get to Heathrow in time to check in (2 hours ahead) for an international flight. <BR> <BR>On the outbound leg, you just might have enough time to see a little of London. If you chose to book a hotel near Victoria Station, you can check-in for British Airways Gatwick departures at the rail station. The BA office, located on the upper level of Victoria rail station, will check your bags on the morning of your flight. Contact BA to get the details, but this could give you a little extra time in London that morning. <BR> <BR>A good morning walk to take from the Victoria area is up to Buckingham Palace, through St. James's Park, to Whitehall, then right to Parliament and Westminster Abbey. It is a long walk, but it hits some of the highlights of central London. <BR>Guess it would take about 2 hours. <BR> <BR>At the end of the walk, you can hop the Tube back to Victoria station and take the Gatwick Express to the airport. Just don't miss your flight... <BR> <BR>Good luck <BR> <BR>David White <BR>www.KidsToLondon.com <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi, <BR> <BR>It did occur to me - regardless of where you stay, Victoria Station area or Gatwick area - you really want to make sure your luggage is taken care of before you head into town. (or at least in a safe place). <BR> <BR>I like David's suggestion of checking it with BA at Victoria (if you can) - if not - I am wondering if staying near Gatwick is the least hassle. You don't want to be schlepping into town with all your stuff on your outward leg, only to sleep & get up & schlepp it BACK. <BR> <BR>Stay near Gatwick, get a good night's rest, get up, ready yourself, leave your luggage in your hotel room as you typically don't have to check out before noon - just be sure to give yourself a little more time to collect your stuff. If you are quite near the airport - it shouldn't be a prob. <BR> <BR>Don't waste your time in the AM trying to get into Gatwick to check it all before you go into town - talk about wasting time in line! that is what your two-hours-ahead-of-the-flight-time is for... <BR> <BR>good luck! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 08:07 AM
Julie

What ever you do DO NOT waste your time and money at the Tower Bridge Experience. It is horrible, takes forever and costly - the worst part of our trip.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:22 AM
Bob

I have been investigating a stopover similar to yours on the return (flying into Gatwick in the evening, leaving from Gatwick the next afternoon. Thanks for the hints, folks. <BR> <BR>One other idea I had regarding luggage. There are luggage checkrooms ("left luggage" in British parlance) at both North and South terminals at Gatwick. I plan on leaving most of our stuff there, just taking an overnight back into London for the overnight.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:53 AM
A Local

Just one piece of advice to add to the above. Please avoid referring to a "van" when booking your transport between LHR and LGW. Here in the UK a van means a vehicle used to transport goods - the sort of thing a repairman would drive - with 2 or 3 seats and a storage area behind with no windows (not very comfortable for an airport transfer). <BR> <BR>What you want is a "minibus" in British terms... The term "people carrier" is also understood.