opinions about these hotels in Venice?

Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

opinions about these hotels in Venice?

Would be interested in feedback about these hotels. (Yes - I've checked Trip Advisor and Slow Travel). I'm going at the beginning of November (off season - whatever that may mean) Being near San Marco isn't nessecary.

Antica Locanda Al Gambero
http://www.locandaalgambero.com/index.htm

Locanda Orseolo
http://www.locandaorseolo.com/

Ca' Arco Antica
http://www.inns-venice-hotel.arcoant....com/index.htm

Antica Locanada Sturion
http://www.locandasturion.com

Hotel San Moise
http://www.sanmoise.it/
Apr 22nd, 2005, 03:14 PM

I'm not familiar with all of the ones you posted, but I've read great things about Locanda Orseolo.

Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM

I recall seeing reviews of most of the hotels you name here on Fodors.

Have you tried putting them one by one into the search box?

I think you are more likely to get input that way than by expecting people who have already posted reviews to reply to your question.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

only Sturion and San Mosie are listed with Fodors and even then only San Moise has reviews. I've found that the hotel and restaurant sections to be some what lacking in reviews compared to what gets posted here.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 04:48 PM

go to www.tripadvisor.com and go through the Venice hotels. What I usually do is then compare the different information with www.venere.com.

Reference to both web-sights will almost certainly give you all of the information you could want.

Have you looked on tripadvisor.com? Have you done a text search here for each name? The Orseolo get raves from absolutely everyone. I don't think I've ever read a negative comment. The 1st & 3rd are not so often mentioned to my knowledge. I was recommended to the San Moise went I went several yrs ago and found it to be more expensive than the others I considered. All things being equal, I'd go for the Orseolo.

I meant here; I should perhaps have said "Fodors Talk" instead of only "Fodors."

But the search box is here, in Fodors Talk.

I got 84 hits for "Locanda Orseolo"...
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

good idea Eloise - thanks - I had only done a general search for Venice

(to others - yes, I've checked Trip Advisor)
Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:40 PM

This is another place to try.

http://www.hotelgalleria.it/camereENG.html

We stayed there in January of 2003 and loved it. The current rate is about $160US which isn't too bad considering the state of things.
Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:00 PM
ktw

Hi Carta,

I stayed at Locanda Orseolo during carnevale this last Feb., it was great. We felt like family. The rooms were very nice and spotless, one was small but a single was staying in it. The corner upstairs room was quite large. In the past we have always stayed at Europa Regina, but after staying at the Locanda I would not hesitate to stay there again. The location is right behind Piazza San Marco. We have stayed in Venice serveral times, the offseason is the best. The only glitch was that the tide was too low to take the water taxi directly to the Locanda and we had to drag our luggage across Piazza San Marco(something I had vowed never to do)I got over it quickly, it really wasn't bad at all.
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:23 AM

I'm researching Venice hotels.

Came across Locanda Orseolo via this Times UK article

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/arti...0204_1,00.html

and then searched the ranking on TripAdvisor (#1, unsurprisingly -- the hotel website links to TripAdvisor, so they must be very proud of it).

I stayed in Hotel San Moise in 1999. Fine location. I had a very small room. That's all I remember.

The reviews on TripAdvisor seem quite good in general but I recall reading a horror story.
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:30 AM

The one horror story you read on TA was false. The owner replied and obviously the reviewer made up everything that he or she said.
Jul 13th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Where do you see that, francophile? I'm referring to TA on Hotel San Moise.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ce_Veneto.html

Anyway, I've no complaints. I remember that the room is small. But then, I think that our Rome hotel on that trip was even smaller (we stayed at Condotti, if memory serves).

I also remember checking out of San Moise very early. To go to Milan, if memory serves.

But, wow, it's been 6 years!
Jul 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo 3 years ago and it was the highlight of our trip. Gorgeous rooms (ours had a balcony over a canal), great locations, and super nice people. They were just dying to cook us special breakfasts. Book now!!!
Jul 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM

I have stayed at the Sturion before. I liked it, but there are a lot of stairs to climb. (I must be attracted to these kinds of places, because in Rome, I always stay in the "main building" at the Hotel San Carlo, where there are a lot of stairs!) It's in a really good location, IMO, near the Rialto Bridge. Staff members were helpful, place was very clean, and I found it overall a good value. I referred this place to my next-door neighbor for his honeymoon, and he really liked it.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Jul 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM

We stayed at Locanda Orseolo this past June and fell in love with it and it was one of the highlights of our trip. You won't be disappointed.
Jul 13th, 2005, 05:52 PM

Hi,
Just posted a trip report including Venice. We stayed at Locanda Orseolo, and have nothing but rave reviews. I also saw it on trip advisor, and it is definitely a deal! As I said in my report, it was possibly our favorite and definitely had the best breakfast.
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I have reservations for Locanda Orseolo. Two of my coworkers who are going to Venice during the next 3 months are also staying at Locanda Orseolo.

One interesting note - I asked Orseolo being that I was visiting Venice in November if I needed water boots for acqua alta. They told me they have 18 pairs of water boots for their guests - nice thoughtful touch.
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:26 AM

You are going to have a wonderful time. I read the reviews about how nice the people were, and I thought well, how could that really affect my vacation, I'm not going there to make friends. Well, they ended up booking our tours and train and dinners and making life for us generally much easier and more interesting. You will love it.
Jul 14th, 2005, 07:34 AM

The Locanda Orseolo has now moved to the #1 hotel spot for Venice hotels on Tripadvisor.com.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO