Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Opinions about hotels in VALENCIA. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/opinions-about-hotels-in-valencia-887874/)

jelopez33 Apr 23rd, 2011 03:15 PM

Opinions about hotels in VALENCIA.

hi all:

Requesting your help and opinions on a pre selection of hotels in Valencia,Spain:
Vincci Lys.
Medium Conqueridor.
Senator Parque Central.
We will visit Valencia in june,as part of our stay in Spain after visiting Turkey for some 12 days.
Vincci(is a no error shot,as is reccommended by Lincasanova, an excellent poster and Valencia local).
Medium has very good reviews in Tripadvisor.
But we are very interested in opinions on Senator,as has good reviews and a very good price.
I will appreciate your cooperation.Thanks in advance.

lincasanova Apr 23rd, 2011 04:02 PM

The Senator, ( changed names/owners recently I see), is most likely a very nice hotel on the inside. However, it is on a VERY busy intersection ( about 8 lanes and a HUGE roundabout).Perhaps try streetview on google.

That said, it is across the street from the new Ave train station.

If the price is LOTS better than the Astoria AYRE or Vincci Lys, I would consider it but know there is no charm in the neighborhood at all.

It is a hike to the old section of town.It is on the "edge" of town.

Willing to save money, if you tell me your exact dates I will try to see what is out there for a bit of inconvenience on the location but better transportation options.

Medium Conqueridor is better located downtown.

lincasanova Apr 23rd, 2011 04:17 PM

I was just putting in some dates and I do see that great rate at Senator. That is hard to pass up.

I have also seen pretty good rates at the lovely boutique SH Inglés which is across from the Ceramic Museum. Some rooms there can be on the small size but speaking with someone who stayed there recently, she said her room was fine in size. It is in an IDEAL location.

Also, the Sercotel Sorolla Palace, bus out front to bring you downtown to the central market area in 10 minutes, sometimes has great rates.

Do use many websites plus the hotels' own to check rates. I am amazed sometimes that dhr.com or hotels.com, or booking.com can have a MUCH lower rate than the hotel itself.

I would find it difficult to pass up the fabulous Senator rate. Let me know if you find anything else close to it and I will try to help.

If anyone is reading this that hotel used to be run by Hesperia as the Hesperia Parque Central.

jelopez33 Apr 23rd, 2011 04:53 PM

Hi Lincasanova:
I knew I can count on you!!!
Our dates are 10 to 13 june,and I think Senator rates are hard or impossible to beat,but will consider other option a little higher if much better located.
Plus:we will arrive in AVE,,so,the station being really the Senator is a plus.
Will study prices for the SH Ingles.
Of course,will appreciate any help!!! Many thanks.

jelopez33 Apr 23rd, 2011 05:05 PM

Lincasanova:
Is the Senator really at a 20 to 25 minutes walk to the old city? We can live with this,(as far as there is no rain of course).

lincasanova Apr 24th, 2011 02:23 AM

There is a bus out front that takes you into the very center from the Senator. So I don't think that is a problem, plus if you are coming in on the AVE it is a simple walk once you figure out which way to go!

well.. all I can say is the AYRE, SH Inglés, AC Valencia (new Science Center area) might come up 15-20E a night higher.

I wouldn't be too worried about the location if I were saving a substantial amount, which it looks like you will be in this case.

Only you can know if the trade-off is worth it to you.

P.S: I would not pay more for the Medium than for the above mentioned. In fact, even if they were a tiny bit more, I would go for them more than the Medium. However, this is just gut instinct as I have not stayed in that hotel nor had anyone in it. I am not a travel agent or a tour group organizer so I do not base my feelings on a professional visit.

I HAVE stayed at the Ayre, and had clients and friends at the others, so I can vouch for those. Not my favorite street anyway. I much prefer all the others I have mentioned.

jelopez33 Apr 24th, 2011 03:25 AM

Thanks Lincasanova!!!
I will take a decision tomorrow,as today we will expend almost all the Easter Sunday with family on the beach house(we still have nice weather in Uruguay).Your advice is greatly appreciated and we have to think about the trade off of course,location vs price.Tahanks once again and Felices Pascuas!!!

lincasanova Apr 24th, 2011 04:19 AM

P.S. You basically have two areas of interest in Valencia.. the historic area.. easy walk from ayre, sh inglés, short bus ride..20 min. walk from senator and bus from AC valencia.

Or the Science center complex, an easy walk from AC Valencia and several new hotels over that way, bus into city center.. bus to beach ( which is closer to science center than downtown).

Then you have the riverbed itself which winds around coming close to both these areas where you can bike, play, take bus 95 along it in both directions, see a concert ( Palau de la Musica) or stop in the Museo de Bellas Artes and the park Viveros for a stroll, or the quaint Jardines de Monforte hidden behind a large red brick Pagoda style building on the corner of the Puente Real.

Whatever you decide, ti looks like prices are fairly reasonable during your stay which of course give s you more options. I also saw the previous 5* Eurostar hotel ( now a 4*) has amazing prices on some websites also. Why is this?

It got low reviews during the America's Cup because it was tooted as a 5* hotel, and frankly, did not have the services or staff one would have expected. It is on the top floors of a modern building that houses two other hotels n a new residential area near the Palacio de Congresos, two blocks from Sercotel Sorolla Palacio Congresos.

This hotel would require a 10 minute bus ride to Mercado Central or a 5-6 euro taxi ride back at night to your hotel.

Very convenient for shopping at a mall, some restaurants and supermarket below. Safe, new, crisp area.

Have fun today at the beach. One of my best friends from the U of Cincinnati is from Uruguay. We hope to get there one day.

jelopez33 Apr 24th, 2011 04:34 AM

Lincasanova:
Now you can tell you have two more friends from Uruguay(Candy and José)!!; and of course,we will be happy if we can do something for you or your friend if you come to this little country.Obviously,spring and summer are much better.Your information is excellent,and will be used certainly.Historic area and Ciudad de las Ciencias (Oceanic) are two of the sites we will visit,for sure.I have downloaded two good maps with walking tours of the historic zone from the web site of the city;complemented your good info!!
Gracias!!! I will let you know our choice of hotels.

jelopez33 Apr 25th, 2011 01:33 PM

Lincasanova:
Finally,we choose and booked our hotel:the SH Ingles; in june 12 to 15; for a good rate with breakfast included.Once again,muchas gracias por su invalorable ayuda!!!(many thanks for your help).We expect we will really enjoy your city!!

lincasanova Apr 25th, 2011 03:19 PM

Glad you got a good rate. You will love the location which is especially beautiful at night when the facade of the Ceramic Museum is lit up.

Since you are around the corner, ask your hotel how to get to the Patriarca church. Find out when it is open (probably only during mass) and take a look at the ceilings and frescoes. You will think you are in Italy.

Across the street /plaza is Valencia's original university from 1492. Walk inside their courtyard and admire the space, and IF the little chapel is open take a look.

Restaurants worth a meal.. midday is always cheaper than evening

Seu Xerea..off Plaza de la Virgen

Appetite..in the Ruzafa area. Asian International fusion, chef from singapore. Tell her I sent you. She does cooking classes where I attend once a month or so and her food is very tasty.

In the port area for excellent rice either Casa Navarro, L'Estimat or more variety and nice presentation Bar La Aduana.

Try FRESCO, a chain around Spain, for correct unlimited fresh salad fixings and hot dishes, one drink, simple desserts or fruit and coffee for under 9 E.

Like to go REAL local?

My favorite "Bar" restaurant attached to a market with a very proud chef. Nothing special to look at but a great variety of simple, tasty fresh home cooked dishes at Bar Restaurante Rojas Clemente. Menu about 10E plus coffee.

Read ekscrunchy's report as I took her to a nice place for the view and drink near the beach and she has some interesting observations, as usual, of things to do and see here.

Have a great trip!

jelopez33 Apr 25th, 2011 03:53 PM

Lincasanova:
As usual your information is amazing!!!Just one question; exact address of Bar Rojas clemente? For sure we will visit the churches,museum you told me; and of course I read and plan to make good use of Ekscrunchy's report and your notes on it.Gracias!!Ahhh hotel booked at 228 for 3 nights breakfast included.

lincasanova Apr 25th, 2011 04:06 PM

great price. which website did you find that on?

Bar rojas clemente is at plaza rojas clemete. Wedged between the gran via fenando el católico and guillem de castro. This is not nouvelle cuisine,just good home cooking with a personal twist and 6-8 first and second and dessert courses to choose from.

Map below

http://maps.google.es/maps/place?cli...59502645527560

jelopez33 Apr 25th, 2011 05:00 PM

Lincasanova: the website for booking the SH Ingles was dhr; best price and booking was a breeze; please,note we choose non refundable payment(our risk of course); we decided to pay a little more than the Senator,but much better location.Thanks for the info on Rojas clemente;will visit,for sure.

lincasanova Apr 25th, 2011 05:03 PM

Have a great trip!