Reload this Page >

Opinion what town to visit on lake Constance Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Anne

We will be traveling with our children to <BR>Germany this July. Most of the itinerary is <BR>made, but where to stay on Lake Constance. <BR>Meersburg or Lindau? Opinions on which town <BR>is better suited for family activities and <BR>any input would be appreciated ? Have any of you heard of the 3Stuben hotel in Meersburg? <BR>

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Russ

I think I might opt for Meersburg, mostly for its central position on the lake. The castle tour there is somewhat of a disappointment, but it's an attractive town with good connections across to Konstanz, to Insel Mainau, and to the west end of the lake, from about Radolfzell and beyond, an area that's quite nice for family bike trips. But don't skip Lindau! It's a real gem of a place that you can daytrip to from Meersburg. <BR> <BR>Sorry, don't know the 3 Stuben.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:17 PM
Cathy

Hi, Anne, <BR>We lived just outside of Meersburg for 5 years. Lovely town, mostly closed to car traffic. Old castle with its starvation-hole, bishops' palace with its Zeppelin displays. Nearby is the little harbor at Unteruhldingen with its bicycle-boats for rent, reptile house, and recreated stone-age dwellings. Beautiful Baroque church at Birnau--looks like a pastry chef gone beserk! We used to take our boys to the waterfront in Uberlingen and feed the swans, then have pizza and ice cream cones at the Eiscafe Capri across the street. Two lovely short car trips would be to Stein-am-Rhein to see its painted houses, and the ferry across the lake to Konstanz and then a very short drive to Gottlieben, perched on the lake on the Swiss side. It's a tiny storybook enclave with wonderful inns, etc. I say, Lucky you!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 11:36 PM
janny

Anne Lindau is lovely,you certainly get the feeling its upscale Swiss/German getaway destination, but i have nt been to Meersburg.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Anne

Thankyou for the great responces. <BR>I love all of the advice!!

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Patrick

We stayed in Meersburg for three nights and it was the perfect base for exploring the area. There was a great selection of restaurants in the town to come back to at night.

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Al

Across the lake from Meersburg is the garden island of Mainau. Don't miss it. Some of the most beautiful azaleas and camellias we have ever seen.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:50 AM
anissa

I was at the Uni in Konstanz for a year - what a wonderful place that area is. Since I lived in Konstanz we never stayed overnight any other place, but as a base camp I would have to agree that Meersburg is prob the better location. The castle is a disappointment from the inside, but from the walls you have some spectacular views - esp if the Alps are inclined to cooperate and be "out" where you can see them (this doesn't happen often, but is beautiful when it does). <BR> <BR>My friends and I took the boat trip down the lanke to Lindau, and to be frank we were disappointed with the city - I preferred the boat trip over there. Perhaps this is because Konstanz is so beautiful? <BR> <BR>There is so much to do in that area (the Rhein Falls, Konstanz, Meersburg, Insel Mainau, etc) if you have any quesitons on what to see/etc please feel free to e-mail me. In Konstanz I know of several places that are good to stay in and eat at.