Opinion on Hotels/B&B for UK Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've tweaked my itinerary somwhat and think I'm now happy with it.

What I need now are opinions on my hotel/B&B choices or your recommendations. I'm trying to keep rates below 80 GBP but would consider splurging on one or two properties.

8-9 April: Shrewsbury -- Abbots Mead Hotel

10-12 April: Conwy -- Bryn B&B

13-14 April: Yorkshire Dales -- Frenchgate Guest House in Richmond or Wenslydate House B&B in Hawes

15-17 April: Keswick -- Badgers Wood or Greystoke House

18-21 April: Callander -- The Crag's Hotel or Brook Linn Country House

22 April: Ullapool -- The Sheiling

23-26 April: Isle of Skye -- White Heather Hotel (Kyleakin), Urquhart Caledonian (Portree), Tir Alainn (Breakish), Ben Tianavaig B&B (Portree). Others?

27-28 April: Loch Lomond -- Lomond View Country House. Others?

29 April: Haltwhistle (Hadrian's Wall) -- Ashcroft Guest House. Others?

30 April: Manchester Airport -- ??

Thanks for any input.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
bettyk: You may get some feedback - but to give you an idea, I've been to every single place on your list. Some, many times, yet I personally have not stayed in a single property from your list. Does not mean anything one way or the other - each of those towns/areas are major tourism centers and have tons of accommodations.

I have walked past the Crag's hotel every time I've been in the area (I've stayed near Callander for as long as a week probably 8 times) - yet have not stepped inside the place.

I generally do not rely on trip advisor for B&Bs - Just too small a sample size to get reliable info. I do check TA for larger hotels though.

If a place looks good to you, and the rates fit in your budget - just go for it. Afterall - the worst that can happen is a couple of nights you can laugh about later

Just on a gut feeling - if those are your two choices in Callander - I'd pick Brook Linn just because it is not on the main road.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at the Ben Tianavaig in Portree, and would definitely stay there again. Can't help with the others. I used tripadvisor extensively for my last trip to S. Italy and Sicily for B&Bs and small hotels, and was in general pleased with the results - only one didn't live up to my expectations.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

janis, the reason I posted was to get opinions or recommendations.

If you have stayed somewhere that fits into my budget, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

We have never stayed in a B&B before, but I've found it almost impossible to locate decent hotels for under $100 or so which is what we are use to paying in Germany & Austria. So I've had to up my budget to nearer $150.

If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it would be nice to hear from others who have stayed there.

Thanks much.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM

Bryn B&B is wonderful. The rooms are lovely, and the breakfasts (prepared by Alison) are great. She will be full of ideas for your stay in Conwy -- all of her recommendations to us were fine.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

azzure, thank you. I sent Alison an email today to see about availability since it is Easter Weekend. It does look lovely.

Thursdaysd, thanks for that info. Any problem with noise? I know that overlooking the harbor puts it close to restaurants, etc., but wondered if it would also make it noisy. I noticed from the website that there are new owners. One can only hope that they are as good as the previous ones.

Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
betty - no, no problem with noise, it's not right in the center, which isn't that busy to start with. However, if it has new owners my info is out of date - sorry!
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

That's OK, thursdayd. It still looks like a nice place to stay.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:55 AM

I spent 2 nights at the Ashcroft Guest house in Haltwhistle and it was great. The same for White Heather in Kyleakin. If you do stay in Kyleakin make sure you get tour host to make dinner reservations in Kyle in Lochalsh as dinning is limited.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Sorry for the typo, meant your, not tour.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Roger. I had read good things about the Ashcroft and it looks quite nice.

Glad to hear about the White Heather too. I also appreciate the info about restaurants.

I got email confirmation from the Bryn B&B in Conwy so I know I at least have a place to stay on Easter Weekend!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I've stayed at Tir Alainn in Breakish (in 2000), and the host is delightful, the view is great, the rooms clean and neat and comfy. Nothing fancy, but very homey. We have also stayed (in 2008) at the Lodge at Edinbane on Skye, and the place was absolutely fabulous - by far our favorite place on our whole trip. Great food and prices, too!

We researched the Brook Linn place and then they said they wouldn't take our reservations because we wanted two single rooms in July, and they can make more money renting them as doubles - understandable, but that sent us to Craigbuie in Killin - another nice, comfy place. Very good prices.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, GreenDragon. I have read your trip reports and appreciate your input.

I had looked at staying in Killin as there are several nice places there, but Callander seemed more central to what we wanted to see.

I'll take another look at the Lodge in Edinbane. My only concern was that it looked a little isolated. Are there any restaurants nearby?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:57 PM

For Haltwhistle you might wish to consider Hall Meadows. Friendly B&B, en-suite, reasonable price - we have been there several times.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, wasleys, I'll take a look at it.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:57 AM

The Lodge has great food at the Lodge itself - Hazel and Pete both cook, and it's very tasty. They run a pub with food in the Lodge. There is also another hotel a block away that does the same. Anything more and you'll have to drive. Dunvegan is about 5 minutes away, and Portree is 15 minutes away.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Richmond (Yorkshire) is a great little town in itself. We used it as a base for exploring the dales. If you're up for a splurge, stay at Millgate House, especially if you like gardens. (Don't know what the gardens are like in Yorkshire in early April, but you can see this one for a fee if you don't stay there.)

Anyway this B&B gets rave reviews. It's a beautiful Georgian house, just off the main square. The rooms look out back to the award-winning garden, the river, the countryside and the castle. Very good breakfast.

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

OK, GreenDragon, thanks for that info. Sounds good.

Mimar, I have looked at Millgate and it is a little dear, but good to know that it's worth it. I'll take another look. Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2008, 08:31 AM

My folks just visited from the States (I live in Shrewsbury) and stayed in the Abbots Mead, which is about a 5 minute walk from my house. They stayed in room 16, which is apparently the biggest room in the place, so maybe you can ask if that's available? I've been in it, it's typically English (read: a bit twee) but my step-mom, who travels around the globe for work, says it was really nice and comfortable. It's extremely handy for town. There is a pub next door, but during the week my folks were there they never heard anything. And one of the best Indian restaurants in town is a 10 second walk away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -