Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Opinion/ advice on itenerary: Rome and Praiano (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/opinion-advice-on-itenerary-rome-and-praiano-511974/)

saraam Mar 13th, 2005 07:00 AM

Opinion/ advice on itenerary: Rome and Praiano

I have been lurking on this board for a while and everyone is helpful I thought I would give it a go.

My fiance and I are working on planning our honeymoon for mid June, we are in our mid-20s and just starting out (i.e. active and budget conscious). I have been to Rome before but it is my fiance's first time out of the US.

Here is what we have so far.
Day 1: Fly into Rome, arrive early morning. Take train to Florence for 1/2 day then back to Rome. Go to hotel, rest, then off to wander.
Day 2: Ancient Rome
Day 3: Vatican or Galleria Borghese, or both? Train/ Bus to villa in Praiano.
Day 4-10: Week at villa. Day trips to Pompeii/ Vesuvius, Amalfi, Sorrento, and Naples. Anything else?
Day 10: Back to Rome. See sights we missed earlier or maybe go to Hadrian's Villa.
Day 11: Fly out of Rome.

I already know the Florence trip is crazy but my fiance really wants to see it. Any better ways to make it fit? Also where would be a good place to stay in Rome under $150? Is it possible? Is Praiano an ok place to base ourselves? We aren't looking for nightlife or really any excitement, just relaxation. But we do want to be able to take day trips somewhat conveniently.

Sorry this is so long. Any advice or critique would be great. Thanks!
Sara

kybourbon Mar 13th, 2005 07:24 AM

If you must see Florence I would go on day 2. You don't want to drag your luggage to Florence on Day 1 and by the time you checked into a hotel in Rome and left your luggaga half your day would be gone. Day 1 see ancient Rome(coliseum?forum?). Day 2 Florence (if it's not a Monday when the museums are closed).

Sher Mar 13th, 2005 11:50 AM

Remember that you will have at least three hours transportation time to Florence and back on the Eurostar from Rome. So planning only 1/2 may be stretching it.
Will you have a car in Praiano? We stayed there and liked it because it is not touristy and the people are friendly. I think you will do o.k. with a weeks planned stay, but distances are deceiving on the Amalfi Coast and just know that even if it is only 6 or 7 km from Praiano to Positano it takes a little while to go back and forth. This is especially true using the bus system which is fine and will get you everywhere you want to go.
Have a wonderful honeymoon.

TravelsWithStDavid Mar 13th, 2005 01:25 PM

I think kybourbon's advice is the best. Trying to see Florence after an overnight plane trip in half a day, even though you are young, would find you near comatose. If you want to visit museums in Florence in a one day stay, be sure and make reservations. I am in Florence as I write this and today the lines at the Accademia and the Uffizi were wrapped around the block. Praiano is a great base for the Amalfi coast. Situated between the major towns, it is easy to reach them all by bus. Have a great honeymoon!

Henry Mar 13th, 2005 02:09 PM

Saraam,
How about
Day 1: fly to Rome go to Florence and stay there.
Day 2: Florence
Day 3-9:Praiano
Day 10-11: Rome
Sorrento is easier to day trip from.

JC98 Mar 13th, 2005 02:15 PM

Skip Florence. 1/2 day is not worth it!

Definitely the Vatican! You cannot miss it. A must-see in one's life.

guykb Mar 13th, 2005 02:29 PM

Can't you fly into Florence? this would make more sense. Actually, most sense would be an open jaw ticket flying into Florence, train to Rome, train to Salerno, bus to Praiano. Then bus to Sorrento, train to Naples, fly out of Naples.

PS, the bus around the Amalfi coast is an amazing experience.

panucci Mar 13th, 2005 02:47 PM

I would also skip Florence. You won't be doing Florence justice and you will be happy with the extra time in Rome. There is sooooo much to see in Italy. Don't ruin this trip by squeezing too much in. And this way you have a reason to go back. If you skip Florence, your next trip can be Tuscany (the hill towns, Siena, Florence)and the.... Italian Riviera or Cinque Terre. If you must go to Florence I agree with Henry. Cut back on Praiano.