European Vacation

Search

European Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Vacation

My Wife and I are early planning and budgeting for a June 2017, vacation London, Paris and Prague. We are looking to spend the following days in the below locations:

1. London - 3 day and 2 nights
2. Paris - 4 days and 3 nights
3. Prague - 4 days and 4 nights.

My questions for anyone who replies are:

Is this a feasible schedule?
Should we spend more or less time in any particular cities?
Should we add more locations to our itinerary?(we are not interested in going to Switzerland)

Thank you in advance for your reply
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 08:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is this a feasible schedule?<<

Not really. You have mis-counted your itinerary.

2 nights nets you 1 day in a city, 3 nights = 2 days, and 4 nights = 3 days.

Soooooo how many actual nights do you have? If it is nine nights and you land in London and fly home from Prague . . . then you will have 1.5 days in London, 2.5 days in Paris, and 3 days in Prague.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 08:58 PM

I think that would be a very hectic trip. Is it possible to do? Yes, but it wouldn't be fun.

I'd suggest choosing just two areas. London and Paris can be combined fairly easily, say, 4 nights London, 5 Paris. This would afford time to take a day trip to Versailles, for instance (or something else that would interest you in the area).

Or, 5 nights in Paris, 4 in Prague, flying between the cities to save a long train trip.

My suggestions above are very basic, very preliminary. They are just to get you thinking about whittling down to two cities with your time frame. Personally, if it was me, I'd choose Paris and London as they are closer together. Or, just choose Prague and maybe do day trips exploring the environs.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:21 PM

Planning and thinking about a trip is a good part of it.

Since this is very preliminary, when laying out your itinerary, you must include not just the basic travel time, but also the time you need to get from the airport or train station to your hotel and the return time from the hotel to the station or airport.

Are you coming from the US? Where? Once you finally book tickets, you can pin down times more, but this is one way to see what you have

Day 1, depart US, probably evening
Day 2, arrive London, probably morning, get to hotel mid-morning to noon.
1/2 day in London. You may be jet-lagged. Don't plan major sight seeing.
Plan walking and early dinner. (night in London)
Day 3, London, whole day (night in London)
Day 4, London, whole day (night in London
Day 5, early train to Paris and to hotel, late morning. 1/2 to 3/4 day Paris
(night in Paris)
Day 6, Paris, whole day (night in Paris)
Day 7, Paris, whole day (night in Paris)
Day 8, Paris, whole day (night in Paris)
Day 9, early flight to Prague, 1/2 day Prague (night in Prague)
Day 10, Prague, whole day (night in Prague)
Day 11, depart for home

You can see that to get 2 & 1/2 days in London, you need 3 nights.
To get 3 & 1/2 days in Paris, you need four nights, etc.

Have fun planning. You have time to enjoy the anticipation.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as others say, the first day is written off by jet lag

I'd spend more time in London (it is by far the bigger city)

don't add, though you could reduce
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies they have given me some great insight. After reading the replies and remapping the trip it would be a major undertaking to do all three locations.

Starting points.

We are starting the trip from Texas.

We can spend at least 14 days for our European vacation so we can stay longer in one or two locations and take day trips. She has visited London and Paris (many moons ago), I have have not. We both want to visit Prague this would allow us a day trip or two to see Terezin or other concentration camps.

We both would rather focus on enjoying the trip and instead of rushing through in an attempt to check off places.

Thank you.
Old Aug 8th, 2015, 11:07 PM

14 days is longer than you first posted. So, 14 days Texas > Europe > Texas will net you 11.5 days to use 'on the ground'.

Fly open jaw (multi-city) into one and home from another. Which order really depends on flight schedules as much as anything. You will want to add a day or two to your arrival city because jetlag will slow you down. So an option for 14 days:

1) fly to London
2) arrive London (half a jet lagged day in London)
3-6) London
7) train to Paris (half a day in Paris)
8-11) Paris
12) fly to Prague (half a day in Prague)
13) Prague
14) Fly home

But this will not give you time for any day trips really. If you want to do day trips, you probably should just do London and Paris. If you want more time in Prague you'll need to cut somewhere else . . .
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM

I don't count that way, 3 days and 2 nights is not necessarily only 2 days in a city at all. I presume the OP means that. If you arrive in a place in the morning, you do have most of that day there. Or you could be leaving in the afternoon, who knows. Also, I don't think the OP is necessarily counting the day they leave home as part of their 14 day vacation time in Europe, hard to say, I never do as flights leave at night from where I live. If you leave on the weekend, it can't even be an issue of vacation days.

If you have 14 days on the ground, I think the original schedule is very doable, I just spent 10 days in Prague and Paris, so why not.I would spend them equally (ie, about 4 days in each location, the extra for moving around). I would not add another location.

I would also take the train between London and Paris and fly from Paris to Prague (or vice versa).
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM

>>I don't count that way, 3 days and 2 nights is not necessarily only 2 days in a city at all. I presume the OP means that. If you arrive in a place in the morning, you do have most of that day there.<<

Using your logic they will have 9 nights and 11 days . . . just doesn't work that way.

>>also, I don't think the OP is necessarily counting the day they leave home as part of their 14 day vacation time in Europe, hard to say<<

Look at the OP's post - he clearly lays out how many nights they have . . . which ain't 14.
Old Aug 10th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

All -

Thanks to everyone who posted information it has greatly heighten our desire to travel. Even through my days/nights may be off the information shared will greatly assist us.