Switzerland passes

Search

Switzerland passes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland passes

Our trip consists of a train ride from the airport in Geneva to Murren, eight nights in Murren hiking and traveling in the area. Then a train back to Geneva where we will take the train to Paris.

From what I can tell, it seems that our best bet would be to get the Swiss Transfer Card and the Berner Oberland Regional Pass.

Would everyone agree with that?

Thanks so much.
Windygal
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 06:40 AM

Hi windygal,

Did you compare with the Half Fare Card?

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always buy the Half-Fare Card.

You have to crunch your numbers to figure out what is best.

You would get better advice if you posted your itin. here.

Are you going to be using the train a lot whilst in Murren?

Every time you want to leave Murren to go down to Lauterbrunnen, you will have to take the Grutscalp Cable Car. I think full price is 12 CHF.

To do the Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg Post Bus and then up to Gimmelwald by cable car and cable car to Murren is about 27 CHF full price.

This all adds up.

Are you taking a boat ride on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun? You can use your half-fare card for your ticket.

Go to www.sbb.ch for train schedules and ticket pricing. The site will ask you if you have a half-fare card so can see the exact fare.

The Half-Fare Card was 110 CHF as of Sept. 2012.

Tschuss,
Pepper
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM

OP - Yes the Swiss Transfer ticket and Berner Oberland Regional pass OR the Jungfraubahn Pass would probably be the best deal dor you if you are not traveling outside that region - regional passes cover many things 100% that Half-Fare Card obviously does not - Swiss Transfer ticket must be bought outside of Switzerland I believe - check out these sites for more info - www.swisstravelsystem.com (may have prices for Transfer Ticket in Swiss francs but I believe must be bought outside of Switzerland); www.budgeteuropetravel.com (I highly recommend Byron there for great personal servie after buying passes from him for years) and www.ricksteves.com - there may be a mailing fee so check various sources for one that has none or the least. Could be sold in Switzerland like Swiss Passes but my current info says no but things could change so check www.swisstravelsystem.com for that.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks so much. I will compare the trips. And it is nice to know that there is a person to purchase from. I had assumed that we would spend a few of our days going to the Jungfrau area and Grindalwald I didn't even see that there was a Jungfraubahn pass. I'll have to look at it. I also need to read more to know where we want to go I think.

I appreciated the help. After I look more I may have some more questions.

Thanks,
Windygal
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 08:17 AM

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/tourism/travel-information/

Jungfraubahn Pass prices and details - I found recently that just two trips - Murren to Schilthorn and Wengen to Jungfraujoch paid for a Jungfraubahn Pass which also covered many other things - buy this pass at any train station in the Jungfraubahn Railways, including Interlaken-Ost. Not as wide-ranging as Berner Oberland Pass, which also goes to places like Bern I believe and gives discounts to say Lucerne, etc. but better perhaps in the Jungfrau region itself.
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 08:45 AM

Hi again,

I think PalQ meant to say that the regional passes will cover 100% some things that the Half Fare Card will only cover at 50%, or half fare. The HFC does cover pretty much everything that moves in the country, but not at full fare.

s
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Yes the regional passes I meant to say if not cover 100% of things like the Jungfraujoch train and Schilthorn cableways whereas Half-Fare Cards and Swiss Passes cover at most only 50% - in the cast of Jungfraujoch from Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch Swiss Pass only 25%.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM

http://www.budgeteuropetravel.com/id3.html#transfer

See the Swiss Transfer ticket costs $143, 2nd class so that is $71.50 each way - check www.sbb.ch to see what regular fare costs.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 11:40 AM

the Swiss Card costs $207 p.p. 2nd class and gives you a trip from any Swiss airport or border point to any place in Switzerland and back to any airport or border point - same as Transfer Ticket but then in between those trips for up to one month it acts as a Half-Fare Card where you get 50% off everything that moves in Switzerland - trains, boats, buses, cows, etc. so for an extra $64 you get half off everything wherever you base - aerial cable ways, mountain trains, etc. And if you stay in a place like Wengen or Murren where it is costly to get up there and back if taking day trips anywhere else it may be easy to spend 2 x $64 - the break even point.
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:00 AM

The Half-Fare Card was 110 CHF as of Sept. 2012> or about $130 but then you pay 50% for everything - nothing covered 100% such as your two long train trips - seems the Swiss Card, which offers everything the Half-Fare Card does but only costs about $75 more than the Half-Fare Card would, between the two be a far better choice for your plans. I would strongly look at a Swiss Pass as well as if poor weather sets into the B O, not unusual even in summer then you may want to do day trips to places like Bern or Lucerne - cities that can be enjoyed in wet weather - passes also cover lake boats 100% - Swiss Card would cover them 50% - again Swiss Card is just like the Half-Fare Card in 50% on everything that moves but also gives two transfers coming and going which would seem to be better - but again if doing a regional pass then Swiss Transfer ticket or just regular tickets, which ever is cheapest is the best - again www.sbb.ch Swiss Railways site has current fares to compare.