Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Opera at Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista

Aug 10th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be in Venice for a week in October and are thinking about attending a performance of La Boheme at Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista. This sounds like a wonderful idea to us; I'd love to hear Fodorites' experiences/opinions/reviews/whatever...before we buy the tickets (reasonably priced, I think, at 35 Euros). This will be our second visit to Venice, and we had already planned to visit SGdiSGE for the art. Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Anyone??

Thanks!
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I haven't been to the school, but the price is reasonable. Why are you hesitating? I would think it would be very interesting.
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM

I asked the same question here about a year ago and got mixed reviews so we decided to try it and bought tickets to see La Traviata at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista. I don't really recommend it.

The inside of the building is gorgeous and worth seeing but you don't have to attend a concert to see it. The operas performed there are not full scale performances. They are shortened versions (although still not short)with a much smaller cast. The lead singers were decent, but the chorus and the small orchstra (about 10 pieces) were clearly students and left a lot to be desired. There was no set to speak of and the whole thing is clearly designed for tourists. It was OK, but rather amatuerish an we left before it ended as it got rather tedious by the second act.

If you're an opera buff, you're better off splurging for tickets to see a real performance of something at La Fenice, even if you're in the nose bleed section.

There are concert all over Venice, all designed for tourists and in my opinion, most are a rip off if you're a real music fan. We did find, however, that the Swiss consulate, in the Dorsoduro section of Venice, sponsors free concerts that are wonderful, with very high quality musicians from all over the world! I'm not sure how to get a schedule of what's planned though. Our hotel (La Calcina)had a flyer up so we found out about it that way.
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, plafield. That's the kind of informed opinion I was hoping for. We are opera lovers, and we've seen several wonderful productions of La Boheme, so we don't need to see a mediocre one. We can spend that money on gelato, for heaven's sake! There is nothing on at the Fenice during our stay, sad to say. But we will definitely look into the free concerts once we arrive. Of course we will still visit the building for the architecture and the art. Thanks again.
Aug 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM

kagoo, have a great trip. If you're a pastry or chocolate fan, check out Tonolo Bakery and Vizio Virtu chocolate shop. They are quite near each other in Doroduro (Crosera San Pantalon)and well worth seeking out. Get off at the San Toma vaporetto stop and walk straght ahead and you'll find both. Enjoy Venice.
Aug 13th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Oh yes, pastry and chocolate -- oh yes. Funnily, when I opened my in-progress Venice document to cut and paste the info, I find that both places are already there. So someone -- quite possibly you -- had already recommended them. But I didn't have directions -- in Venice a most valuable commodity. I assure you we will visit both! Thanks again!!!