Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Open to Suggestions - Where Should I Go To In March 2002 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/open-to-suggestions-where-should-i-go-to-in-march-2002-a-187526/)

Leslie Sep 10th, 2001 09:23 AM

Open to Suggestions - Where Should I Go To In March 2002

I've got 8 available days (exclusive of traveling RT across the pond) to use in March and since the airfares are low, the weather is cool for sightseeing and there are fewer tourists so the lines are shorter, I'd like to take advantage of low season. <BR> <BR>This is where I have been: London (many times) and throughout most of the UK (my sister lives in Surrey); Athens and Rhodes; Rome, Florence, Lake Como and Lugano; throughout most of Switzerland; Salzburg, Graz and Vienna; Paris and the Loire Valley; and throughout most of The Netherlands. I'll be in Prague for 8 nights in November. I'm planning on 3-4 weeks in Spain and Germany over the next 2 years for September-October of 2002 and 2003. <BR> <BR>Here are the parameters: I don't want to spend more than $1500 for the air and hotel (I'm travelling solo -- air will cost me no more than $500). I don't want to rent a car -- I will only use trains and buses. I'm not a beach person and don't care to go to a resort, I would prefer to stay in cities. Two star hotels are fine, three star hotels are better. My likes are museums, theatre, music, and architecture. <BR> <BR>Any thoughts -- I was thinking of returning to Vienna and then taking the train to Budapest, but I am open to all suggestions. I would prefer not to travel to more than 2 destinations and would like to buy a roundtrip ticket instead of an open jaw ticket. <BR> <BR>Cold weather is not a huge concern, I live in Massachusetts. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, <BR> <BR>Leslie

Marc David Miller Sep 10th, 2001 09:29 AM

Budapest. When I was there in January several of the mid-size museums were closed, and in March you won't have that problem. They have a good (not world-class) opera house/company, which really knows how to stage Wagner in a traditional manner. The Astoria was about $50-70/night. <BR> <BR>Take a look at <BR> <BR>www.timeout.com <BR> <BR>for some general information, and <BR> <BR>http://www.hungarytourism.hu/angol2/index.htm <BR> <BR>for some Hungary information <BR> <BR>and <BR> <BR>http://www.opera.hu/operaeng/main.html <BR> <BR>for the opera (the schedule for next March looked pretty standard).

wes fowler Sep 10th, 2001 09:39 AM

Leslie, <BR>Consider Belgium with one of the most extensive rail systems in Europe. (Belgium was the site of the first continental rail system.) Distances are short, allowing for day trips from one central point. Consider Bruges as a central point from which to visit Brussels, Antwerp and West Flanders; consider Dinant, from which to tour parts of Wallonia and the Ardennes. You could even sneak into Luxembourg on a day trip. <BR> <BR>You'll find superb dining, economical accommodations, over 400 variety of beers and a country with varied culture, traditions and languages. Belgium, too me, is one of the most underated countries in Europe.

Rex Sep 10th, 2001 11:26 AM

Somewhere inside the region you get bu connecting the following points: <BR> <BR>Lisbon, Oporto, Santiago de Compostela, Bilbao, Biarritz, Madrid. <BR> <BR>Whaddyathink? The "Spring 2002 Fodorites' trip to Iberia"? <BR> <BR>Who would it have to be solo? <BR> <BR>Anyone else interested? <BR> <BR>R <BR>

elvira Sep 10th, 2001 11:49 AM

I like idea of Belgium too; you can eurostar to London if you get the urge, northern France (including Paris), the Netherlands, even Venice via Ryanair for about $120 r/t. <BR> <BR>And then you have all of Belgium (and its justly famous chocolate) to explore!

daniele Sep 10th, 2001 11:56 AM

Hi Leslie, <BR>why don't you try with Riviera dei fiori(Liguria), Cinque Terre, Arcipelago toscano?

amparo Sep 10th, 2001 11:56 AM

Have you been to Central or South America? <BR>Peru might me a good place to start: Machu Pichu <BR>Costa Rica <BR>Mexico (lots of possibilities) <BR>Colombia! (I am biased) It may be unsafe if traveling alone and don't know where to go. If you go with a native, no problem! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Rex Sep 10th, 2001 12:05 PM

Whoops - - sometimes a typo can render a sentence unintelligible (and sometimes my posts are unintelligible even withOUT typos!) <BR> <BR>Anyhow, it was supposed to read... <BR> <BR>WhY would it have to be solo? <BR>

xx Sep 10th, 2001 12:07 PM

Poor Espana: first the ETA, now Rex. I guess their tourism industry will now be completely dead in 12 months.

Leslie Sep 10th, 2001 01:03 PM

Rex, <BR> <BR>It would have to be solo, because I am going alone, because I don't think your wife would allow you to travel just with me. Of course, in case she wants to let you loose, you're more than welcome to join me. By the way, happy 48th birthday. <BR> <BR>Leslie <BR> <BR>

Tammy Sep 10th, 2001 01:05 PM

You said you had been to UK but did that include Scotland? Scotland has everything you require - scenery, museums, cities, architecture, history etc. March is springtime when daffodils, crocus and snowdrops abound. I know - I live here.

Howard Sep 10th, 2001 01:26 PM

Belgium is a good choice..some other ideas <BR> <BR>How about Copenhagen and Stockholm (since you don't care if its cold), or <BR> <BR>Portugal (Lisbon plus either Evora or Oporto),or as another person suggested, <BR>somwwhere outside of Europe - <BR> <BR>Guatamala (Antigua and Tikal), or <BR> <BR>Mexico - Mex City, San Miguel, Gunanjuato <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Leslie Sep 10th, 2001 01:48 PM

Great suggestions -- looking for more, but only in EUROPE. The airfare from Boston is cheapest to European destinations. <BR> <BR>My parents have been to Machu Pichu (one of the seven wonders of the world) and in all the places my Dad has traveled, Lima is the only city that he has been mugged in -- it hadn't even happened in NYC where he lived for 21 years. <BR> <BR>Also, I have done a lot of traveling within Canada, the USA, and Mexico. <BR> <BR>Keep thinking European destinations for me. I do like the Belgium idea, and it actually might be cheaper for me to fly into London instead of to Brussels and then either take the train or an inter-European flight.

Geri Sep 10th, 2001 02:00 PM

We were in Belgium this past March. It is a lovely country. Don't forget Ghent. It is similar to Brugge, but without the tourists. The Alsace region of France (Strausburg, Colmar) knocked our socks off, such beautiful cities. But, we were there in early September when the flowers were blooming and the grape vines full. We like to do independent bicycle trips. Walking the paths along the Cinque Terre, Italy is another incredible experience. It is a very safe region and the folks are a joy. Rick Steves has a great section on the Cinque Terre in his Italy book. You can add Lucca another incredibly beautiful town. We were on bicycles that trip, but took the train from Lucca to Cinque Terra's northern end and walked the path to the Southern end and took the train back to Lucca. March is strong bier season in Munich! We will also be in Prague this November. Maybe see you there :-)

Rex Sep 10th, 2001 03:20 PM

Okay, Leslie - - so it won't be Iberia with you as the "lead dog" this coming March. As I mentioned in an earlier e-mail to you - - if I do anything in the spring, it might be pretty last minute bargain, impulsive anyhow, with the summer and fall (family) trips I already have slated for next year! (but suggestions for a spring Fodorites' trip ARE still most welcome from anyone!) <BR> <BR>But I wanted to chime in on Ghent (and Bruges, too - - even if it is a bit "over-visited" and over-hyped). And, do, DO, DO stay at Hotel Erasmus in Ghent - - one of the most wonderful little hotels I have ever found in all of Europe (or anywhere for that matter). <BR> <BR>R <BR>

John G Sep 10th, 2001 03:21 PM

Lisbon, Barcelona, Ljubljana, Trieste, Balogna, Krakow. These cities I recommend. I hate Belgium. I think it would be absolutely miserable in March.

TAMMY Sep 11th, 2001 02:25 PM

What about Scotland then? You never said whether you've been here. come on then, have you been to beautiful Scotland?

Leslie Sep 11th, 2001 02:42 PM

Tammy, <BR> <BR>I have not been to Scotland yet. But, I have been to Wales. Scotland is a possibility, thanks.

Marc David Miller Sep 11th, 2001 02:57 PM

Go to any country that supports justice, and think twice about those who attempt to work with devils.

sandy Sep 11th, 2001 06:29 PM

My husband and I went to Venice in march last year and it was magical! Temperatures were in the 50's during the day, with a pale sunlight making everything look very beautiful. Of course, Venice is very romantic, so you might not want to go there alone. But it is very wonderful to just walk and walk, with no traffic and no noise. There's a very nice hotel next door to the burned out La Fenice opera house: La Fenice et des Artistes. They have some single rooms that are as large as doubles with big windows in the bathrooms. Tell them that you want one of their largest singles, because some of them are really tiny! Another place to consider is the Pensione Accademia, although it is not as cheap as it used to be. Enjoy!