Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Open Jaw Airline Tickets (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/open-jaw-airline-tickets-629350/)

frrodriguez78 Jul 8th, 2006 12:03 PM

Open Jaw Airline Tickets

I'm not familiar with this type of ticket. Would someone be kind enough to explain how I go about booking one, say landing in Paris from Miami, and departing from Rome to Miami?

LoveItaly Jul 8th, 2006 12:07 PM

Hi frrodriquez, I assume you are going on the website of the airline you want to fly with?

Anyway, another term for "open jaw" is "multicity". I hope this helps.

Perhaps some other Fodorite can give you better instructions. Best wishes.

J62 Jul 8th, 2006 12:11 PM

On any of the airline or travel websites you would book a multi city ticket

MIA - CDG for first leg
FCO - MIA for 2nd leg

QED.

Dukey Jul 8th, 2006 12:13 PM

LoveItaly has it exactly right: you want to use the "multicity" option. Some consolidator/aggregator sites do not offer it although I believe all of the airline sites do.

saps Jul 8th, 2006 12:17 PM

On a few airline websites you have to go to 'other options menu' which the link will be near where you enter the flight information. Usually the "quick" screen is preset for roundtrip.

frrodriguez78 Jul 8th, 2006 12:21 PM

thank you all!

kerouac Jul 9th, 2006 02:44 AM

Generally, an official open jaw uses two different airports in the same country (for example : Rome + Milan). Otherwise, one way fares may be applied for the segments, greatly increasing the cost.

J62 Jul 9th, 2006 03:20 AM

I've use open jaw flights to Europe on several occasions, and often to/from different countries. In my experience they have never been considered 2 separate 1 way tickets.

All my trips have been same airline to and fro, and all have been one stop.

Many airlines will be able to get you from Miami to Paris, back from Rome with a single stop somewhere along the way.

Dukey Jul 9th, 2006 03:47 AM

You can easily check all, or at least most, of the possible combinations by using www.itasoftware.com

Pick the "multi-segment" option and a new screen will appear with three blank segments. Fill in the first with MIA-CDG and the second with FCO-MIA then click the "remove last segment" button to eliminate the unused one.

Follow the other directions and you'll get the choices.

massagediva Jul 9th, 2006 04:21 AM

I regularly book open-jaw flights,and rarely pay more than I would for a basic round-trip ticket.

ira Jul 9th, 2006 04:26 AM

Hi fr,

www.kayak.com is very good for open-jaw discount fares.

((I))

Jed Jul 9th, 2006 05:58 AM

We have tickets for Philly-Venice, Florence-Philly.

I just checked with Expedia and Kayak. The economy RT PHL-VCE is slightly less than the open jaw. BC fare is about the same for both. Go figure! ((*))

SuzieC Aug 1st, 2006 09:15 AM

Anybody have any luck doing this "open jaw" plan on AirFrance?

pavfec Aug 1st, 2006 09:23 AM

SuzieC, nope. When we were looking to book our Montreal-Berlin and Amsterdam-Montreal tickets, we tried all the airlines that fly out of Mtl and Air France didn't offer that option.

We ended up going with British Airways. The price was the same as a return ticket and the travel times convenient. KLM offers it as well.

MFNYC Aug 1st, 2006 09:27 AM

We've done open-jaw a few times, once within Italy (Venice/Rome) and twice with different countries (Paris/Amsterdam, Madrid/London). The airfare was always in the ballpark of a round trip. This is a great approach if you plan on moving around.

bob_brown Aug 1st, 2006 09:38 AM

I am doing an open jawed, or multi city, flight in 3 weeks. We fly Atlanta to Munich and Zürich to Atlanta.
The cost was perhaps $60 more per ticket than a round trip ticket between Atlanta and Munich.

I suggest pricing with the airline first and then get a comparison with Expedia or some other agent. I found that dealing directly with Delta got me the best price for the dates I needed.

Nikki Aug 1st, 2006 09:58 AM

SuzieC, I have taken Air France open jaws flying from Boston to London and then from Paris to Boston. I just looked at the Air France website and I don't see the open jaws option there, but when I used Travelocity I could select Air France flights open jaws. It could be there is a way to do it on the Air France website that I just don't see, but if not, a phone call to Air France might solve the problem.

Nick4 Aug 1st, 2006 01:47 PM

I have recently done an open jaw trip, LAX to LHR to CDG and returned MUC to LHR to LAX using three different airlines. I don't know about the other sites, but Orbitz lets you pick from different airlines for each leg of your trip. This was just the best timing and schedule for my trip. The cost difference was not significant.

ira Aug 2nd, 2006 03:56 AM

Hi SuzieC
>Anybody have any luck doing this "open jaw" plan on AirFrance?<

Our last visit, we flew ATL/BOD and CDG/ATL on AF.

Booked through www.kayak.com.

((I))

MarciaMarciaMarcia Aug 2nd, 2006 04:21 AM

Ira and others, thanks for the kayak link. You suggested it on another thread and it does appear to have the most options. Very helpful!