Open Jaw Airfare in September

Mar 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Open Jaw Airfare in September

I need some advice on when to purchase open jaw plane tickets. Several postings have talked about how there should be some fall airfare sales to Europe this spring. Is this true and how long should I wait for them?

My wife and I are planning on leaving from St. Louis, MO or possibly Kansas City, MO in the early afternoon on Sept. 1 and arriving early the next morning in London. Then returning from Rome on September 20 around noon and arriving in Missouri at about 7pm.

I have been watching the travel websites for a few months and the rates seem to inch up every month or so. Currently the best rate at the most convenient times for the two tickets is from American Airlines for $1105.00 each.

Any advice on when and from where we should book the tickets to get the best rate?

Thanks, Richard
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:56 AM

Last year the airline's tickets were much cheaper.. then I paid only 750 dollars for an open jaw tflight from SAT to FCO and CDG to SAT, with the AA.

This year I was lucky because I had enough mileages for a free Business class ticket, always open jaw for the end of August.

This year is very different with the gasoline's prices going up and up, I dont really know what to tell you other than keep looking at the fares and if you see a bargain buy it.
Buona Fortuna or Bonne Chance..
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:26 AM

It seems to me they don't start advertising fall fares until the summer. Your dates probably aren't going to fall under many Fall sales, if any, though, they are too early (especially the Sept 1st one). So I wouldn't get my hopes up for great Fall fares.
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:42 AM

When you asked the same question three weeks ago, the cheapest price was on American Airlines, at $942 from STL. Here's the thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...2&tid=34764328

It's now $1063 for the same flights.

I think you can do better on British Airways or Northwest, but there are no killer sales that have yet appeared. If you wait another three weeks, it might go up another hundred bucks or so, as the cheap seats are sold off of the flights.

Poker player?
Mar 31st, 2006, 09:48 AM

You can check for sales but the airlines may not be worred about unsold seats in October yet. Come July, they will get nervous as October is not a high travel time.
Mar 31st, 2006, 10:18 AM

Well - no one KNOWS what air fare sales will be and when. But typically they don't bregin until sometime in October - September is still high season. And if I were you I woud get the best tickets I could now - esp for Rome.
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:02 AM
rex

Anyone who told you that September air fares go on sale "in the spring" must be referring to the 15-30 days right before spring turns over into summer... at the summer solstice. No one knows what September fare sales will come along, but I think they're just as (or more?) likely to show up in late May, early, or even mid-June.

Best wishes,

Rex
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM

You can fly NW for $864 all in, for the dates you want. But if you must fly AA, then it's hard to say if prices will come down or not.

BA is about $100 more; but you can't earn AA miles for US-LHR flights on BA.
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:39 AM

Frankly, you may be asking for too much..you want the cheapest fare and at a "convenient" time...which is most important?..time or price since you may not end up with both.
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:01 PM

I think your early September dates will preclude your getting an off-season or shoulder-season fare.

There are no absolutes in fares, but a rule that has served me well is that prices rarely go down more than four months before the departure date, and start to increase two months before the departure date, so I pick a price I will be happy with, and start looking, then look more seriously as my window opens, and either buy or abandon the trip if I haven't found a good fare by the time my window closes.

I would also suggest you monitor the cheap flights forum at http://eurotrip.com
and perhaps post a question there. They are a particularly knowledgeable lot, particularly the moderator.

Having said all this, the fare listed by rkkwan looks pretty good to me, and if you would be uncomfortable waiting for the possibility of a lower fare, perhaps you should jump on that. Its hard for me to estimate what a good fare would be, because London often has very low fares, while Rome seems consistently more expensive.
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:20 PM

well, the guy's flying in early September, not October. Besides, September-October is a heavy travel period for major European cities that have a lot of business travel, and for Italy, that is still pretty fine weather.
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:36 PM
ira

Hi R,

>... planning on leaving ... in the early afternoon on Sept. 1...

You will find much cheaper fares if you can go after Labor Day.

Mar 31st, 2006, 12:41 PM

Here's the way how I really see it. If you just want a good fare and doesn't care about airline, schedule, or whether the airline will suffer a strike, then go buy the NW tickets. It's a pretty reasonable fare.

But if you must take AA, then just wait a little. I don't think the fare will go much higher than $1,100; and there's a relatively good chance that it will come down a bit to match the $850-900 fares.
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:43 PM
ira

PS,

www.kayak.com has your dates for $993.

If you shift your dates back a week, the price drops to $883.

I estimate that you have about a 40% chance of saving an additional $100.

Search this Thread