Open air museum in Crete

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open air museum in Crete

Nona1, Can you tell me where the open air museum in Crete is located? I went to the website you posted but could find no map or directions. We love open air museums and would like to visit Crete's when we are there next May. Thanks.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:04 AM

Do you mean Knossos? It is a few kilometres south from Iraklion.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM

Oh crock crock crock -- All of Crete IS an open-air museum!!!

I did not see Nona's post so don't know which ruin in particular she was referring to, but I'll bet it's Knossos. If you will look back at my postings, I recommended that you put it on your itinerary.

Crock, I think it's time for you to invest in a guidebook... or borrow one from the Library free. I recommend the DK Eyewitness Guide to the Greek Islands. This has a VERY thorough section on Crete -- including color graphic schematics of Knossos and other "palace" sites. I recommend that you do color xeroxes of any interesting pages & take them along (PS: you have to be careful at public Xerox places or they won't copy pages of a copyrighted book).

PLEASE do consider investing in a book or two -- if you are spending many THOUSANDS on this trip, you should not begrudge $15-$22 on a guide book. PLUS, the Eyewitness guide is perfect for showing your friends afterwards exactly the sites that impressed you most.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Jan - There really is an open air museum www.cretan-openair-museum.gr but the website offers no map or directions. I have a guide book (old) but will invest in a new one along with Greek maps. Knossos -- a real openair museum -- is #1 on our list of to-dos, but we have enjoyed openair museums in other countries and thought the Cretan one would be worthwhile. I love all your input.
Crock
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Well, it says Hersonissos, so I suppose it is in Hersonissos. And Hersonissos is in the northern coast some 20+ kilometres east of Iraklion.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, elina