Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Only two days in Venice: the city or the Lido? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/only-two-days-in-venice-the-city-or-the-lido-904008/)

chillout Aug 25th, 2011 11:05 AM

Only two days in Venice: the city or the Lido?

I'll be taking the scenic train from Munich to Venice on the last leg of our trip in mid-September with two teenagers. We've never been to Venice so we'd really like to see it before heading back home even though we'll be going out of our way to see it after spending a few days in Austria.

I initially wanted to stay in Venice and just savour it for two days but then I read about the Lido and it seems like a very special place. So is the Lido really worth visiting or is it just a mediocre beach that isn't worth visiting on such a short visit?

Jean Aug 25th, 2011 11:19 AM

You'd better see what lodging you can find at this late date. Although the teenagers might enjoy it, I wouldn't stay on Lido especially if you haven't been to Venice before. But if you're not planning to wander the streets and explore the major sights in Venice (Doge's Palace, St. Mark's, Rialto, museums, the piazzas), it doesn't matter where you sleep.

kappa1 Aug 25th, 2011 12:28 PM

I would say Lido is not worth on this particular stay of yours. You would not have enough time even to visit Venice proper. Have a place to sleep in Venice and enjoy the night walk of Venice.

tarquin Aug 25th, 2011 12:38 PM

I went to the Lido last year on perhaps my seventh or eighth trip to Venice. It is of some interest but does not compare in any way with Venice itself, and it is far enough away that it would be a nuisance to have to go back and forth.

mamcalice Aug 25th, 2011 01:29 PM

I stayed on Lido my first trip to Venice as a teen. It wasn't the least bit interesting and we've stayed in Venice ever since. With two days, you don't want to be trekking back and forth. Venice is unique and incredible. Stay there.

chillout Aug 25th, 2011 03:00 PM

Thanks a lot guys, you're such lifesavers!

I was just a little concerned that the teens might run out of things to do in Venice but it seems like there are even less things to do in the Lido. And with only two days there, I will have to let go of the Verona day trip as well.

Peter_S_Aus Aug 25th, 2011 03:33 PM

Venice is all about canals and boats, and you walk everywhere.

The Lido is a beach resort - well, a kind of resort. With cars, busses, traffic, noise.

In two days you won't run ot of things to do. Maybe this treasure hunt might interest your kids:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-teenagers.cfm

nytraveler Aug 25th, 2011 05:26 PM

The Lido isn't special - it;s actually quite boring. The convention center is there and a bunch of not very pleasant or clean city beaches. You really want to be IN Venice - not so far away by vaporetto.

Mimar Aug 25th, 2011 06:12 PM

Staying in Venice you live in a city without cars and trucks and traffic. Instead of buses there are vaporettos; instead of of taxis there are speedboats; instead of garbage trucks there are garbage scows and so on. It's a unique experience not to be found on the Lido. If the teenagers get bored, just send them out to get lost. They can't go far.

chillout Aug 26th, 2011 04:47 AM

I agree nytraveller, I definitely want to be IN Venice. Mimar you put it so perfectly and I'm utterly convinced now :-)

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. I just wonder if these brats would be willing to try it!

ira Aug 26th, 2011 10:11 AM

Hi Chill,

You are going to Venice and are considering staying out on the beach instead of in one of the most remarkable cities on Earth?

Not to mention the inconvenience of going back and forth.

((I))

chillout Aug 26th, 2011 01:57 PM

Well I agree ira, plus I've found this photo that made me realize that the their beach leaves a lot to be desired. I still might visit it if I'm in Venice for a week or so.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/2824315

nytraveler Aug 26th, 2011 05:03 PM

we stayed in the best hotel on the Lido (for business) which had it's own beach. Even that was sub par -- in comparison to a public beach - as in state or town beach - in New York. And the water certainly is nothing to write home about.

Venice should be fascinating for teenagers unless they are completely lacking in imagination. Have them look at the guide books in advance. Then give them a little money and a map and tell them you'll meet them for dinner.

ira Aug 27th, 2011 08:41 AM

>Venice should be fascinating for teenagers unless they are completely lacking in imagination. Have them look at the guide books in advance. Then give them a little money and a map and tell them you'll meet them for dinner.<

Good idea from nyt.

Make sure that they have a card with the hotel's name and address.

((I))

Steve_Harvester Aug 27th, 2011 08:57 AM

Just returned from our first trip to Venice and we are in love! Start by touring the Grand Canal. You can spend a whole day just at San Marco Piazza, exploring the Ducal Palace and the church with its 24 karat gold mosaic tile ceilings. Art of great masters going back eight hundred years; twisting narrow streets crammed with tiny shops selling world class crafts, fashion, fine art; delicious gelato and cappuccino to get you through the afternoon, delightful dining al fresco late into the night. Try an Aperol spritz, and wish you had saved more time for Venice!

joannay Aug 27th, 2011 10:54 AM

The Lido is like a lot of other places but Venice is like nowhere else on earth.

annhig Aug 27th, 2011 11:01 AM

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. I just wonder if these brats would be willing to try it!>>

our kids, then 15 & 18, spent a week in Venice with us and we all loved every minute - no-one got bored at all, not even me.

if you can, find a little hotel overlooking a canal and drink it all in.

flygirl Aug 27th, 2011 01:25 PM

Is the Lido a special place?

CaliNurse Aug 27th, 2011 02:12 PM

stay in Venice "town. and skip the Lido. I cna't recall anythign specia about its beach. It was fine because first time in Venice, had lots of extra days, but for such a short visit, stick to Venice proper.

CaliNurse Aug 27th, 2011 02:14 PM

p.s Before leaving, book the Secret Tour of the Doges Palace!! totally fascinating. You'll learn so much about their justice system, their psychology of getting prisoners to "talk" etc