Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Only trip to Europe. Austria/Switz or Austria/Prague/Budapest? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/only-trip-to-europe-austria-switz-or-austria-prague-budapest-326062/)

myst Jun 10th, 2003 02:57 PM

Only trip to Europe. Austria/Switz or Austria/Prague/Budapest?

I am taking my father on a trip to Europe. Probably can only afford to take him once, and don't know that we will be back.

Is Austria a good idea? Or should I stick with France/Italy? He really enjoys natural scenery as well as cities and I want this to be a memorable trip.

If Austria is a good choice would you recommend going the Switzerland route or Eastern Europe.

We will take a tour because there are six of us going with very different tastes and it will be too complicated to control everyone. (several fussbudgets)

Thinking of Collette or Trafalgar tour.

BettyBubb Jun 10th, 2003 06:10 PM

May I suggest that you look into Grand Circle tours rather than Collette and Trafalgar. We've been to Europe a few times and last year's Grand Circle Tour of Eastern Europe was great. We did not spend every other day on the bus which we find too tiring. Also, those other tours nickel and dime you for many Optional Tours, only giving you a quick tour of each city when you arrive and then if you really want to see the best it costs you. We ended up spending as much on optional tours with Trafalgar as the cost of the basic tour.
I think your Father would be happier with 3 or 4 days in each place vs. 1 or 2. Look at Grand Circle brochures before you make any decisions. HAPPY TRAVELING.

eurotraveller Jul 26th, 2003 08:19 AM

Tough choice! I just got back from a trip to Austrai and Switzerland and I would have to say that for scenery those two countries can't be beat! There are mountains and lakes everywhere you turn. Hallstatt, Austria is one of my favorite cities in Europe. Salzburg is also very nice.

On the other hand, Prague is an amazing city as well! Beautiful, friendly and not terribly expensive.

Good luck choosing!

eurotraveller Jul 26th, 2003 08:20 AM

By the way, I have travelled through France and Italy. As much as I loved those two countries I would say the scenery in Austria and Switzerland is better, in my personal opinion.

donw Aug 5th, 2003 05:08 PM

I wouldn't do a tour, we prefer to be on our own rather than on a tour schedule. Italy is our favorite of all so far and haven't been to Eastern Europe yet but going on 9/1.

Every country is magnificent and differnt. They're all great! Go get an overview of as many areas as you can pack in is my advice!

LindaW Aug 5th, 2003 08:23 PM

Interesting that you want a tour when the 6 of you have different tastes. That would make me want to either rent a van or take the train because you have flexibility when you stop somewhere.

Austria/Switzerland definitely has the scenery and you can get in some good shopping as well.

Vienna, Prague, Budapest (with side trips) would be very interesting because they were a part of the same empire but because of recent history have large differences. This would be the most diverse trip and they are all fabulous cities. Daytrips could get you some of the scenery but not the beautiful Alps. If you added Krakow, you could see the Tatras.