Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Only 6 nights in Italy (2nd trip)--your counsel requested kindly, please (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/only-6-nights-in-italy-2nd-trip-your-counsel-requested-kindly-please-1677968/)

Prestonator Feb 21st, 2020 12:30 PM

Only 6 nights in Italy (2nd trip)--your counsel requested kindly, please

Hi,
I was on these threads recently discussing the idea of my wife and I (Mid 50s) splitting an all-too-brief 6 or 7 night stay between Venice and Florence. (We did Rome and Sorrento w/Capri, Positano 5 years ago).

Since that original question, we've started gravitating away from the idea of Florence. It's obviously amazing, but I'm not sure it's OUR thing (please don't flame me for that--I'm sure it's awesome, I truly do believe that!). So I've been wondering if it makes sense simply to plant a flag in Venice for 6 nights and do a couple side trips (such as Lake Garda/Verona) OR split stays--this time pairing with Siena.

Would you please share your thoughts on what makes the most sense for a couple celebrating their 35th anniversary--who like the beauty of nature, etc., mixed in with the many classic/iconic romantic venues to be experienced.

I know I'm kind of "all over the map" but your guidance would be so greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

RD

thursdaysd Feb 21st, 2020 01:15 PM

I'm with you on skipping Florence, I've been Italy several times and still haven't made it there. If I ever do go I'll want a very good guide and not too much time. (But I have OD'ed on religious art.)

If you want some time in the countryside I'd head for the Dolomites. Alternatively, I love Ferrara and it is a good base for a day trip to Ravenna.

dugi_otok Feb 21st, 2020 02:21 PM

Split the time ( 3 nights each) between Venice and Siena.
Day trips from Siena;
1. The Tuscan countryside- Pienza, Val d' Orcia, Montalcino
2. Florence- The one day visit may satisfy you for a lifetime.

StCirq Feb 21st, 2020 03:05 PM

A whole lot depends on what time of year you are going, and you haven't said.

Prestonator Feb 21st, 2020 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by StCirq (Post 17067490)
A whole lot depends on what time of year you are going, and you haven't said.

Sorry, this would be mid-summer. Only time we can get away, which I know is not ideal.

Thanks!

RD

Leely2 Feb 21st, 2020 05:14 PM

Since thursdays has mentioned the Dolomites...

If it's seven nights mid-summer, based on your stated interests, I'd go for four in Venice and three in the Dolomites. In Venice I'd choose a hotel in an out-of-the-way corner of a slightly out-of-the-way sestiere.

I did a Venice-Dolomites combo in June (or early July?) a couple summers ago. Granted, I had many more nights than you, but I got my culture fix, got my nature fix, and as my interest in the Dolomites was centered on hiking, I didn't even need to rent a car.

Traveler_Nick Feb 21st, 2020 07:50 PM

How are you getting here?

If you're stuck flying in and out of Rome with only six days life gets difficult. If OTOH you have more options you can be freer. Fly into Venice. Fly home from Pisa?

But with only six days you need to really think how much time you want to waste commuting between stops. The one big advantage Florence has is it's on the highspeed rail line. Making it a relatively quick two hours from Venice.

Prestonator Feb 22nd, 2020 06:35 AM

Thank you so much!! I will research the Dolomites--and the Ferrara-Ravenna combo. Much appreciated!

Prestonator Feb 22nd, 2020 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Leely2 (Post 17067535)
Since thursdays has mentioned the Dolomites...

If it's seven nights mid-summer, based on your stated interests, I'd go for four in Venice and three in the Dolomites. In Venice I'd choose a hotel in an out-of-the-way corner of a slightly out-of-the-way sestiere.

I did a Venice-Dolomites combo in June (or early July?) a couple summers ago. Granted, I had many more nights than you, but I got my culture fix, got my nature fix, and as my interest in the Dolomites was centered on hiking, I didn't even need to rent a car.

Thank you for your additional excellent counsel--so helpful. I really appreciate your opinions and insights. Thank you!

HappyTrvlr Feb 22nd, 2020 03:37 PM

One trip, we spent two weeks in Venice, our third time there, and did several day trips. Our favorite was to Alpine feeling Bassano de Grappa by train.
Another trip, we spent time in the So.omites, amazing hiking and scenery.

neckervd Feb 23rd, 2020 08:13 AM

If you want to do day trips from Venice to other places than Chioggia, book a hotel as close as possible to the railway station (Calle Priuli or so). Otherwise you waste too much time with local transfers within Venice.