Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Only 4 days in Switzerland!! Were to stay? What visit?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/only-4-days-in-switzerland-were-to-stay-what-visit-68756/)

Roger Apr 17th, 2000 08:36 AM

Only 4 days in Switzerland!! Were to stay? What visit??

I'm travelling to Europe in July with my wife. It's our first Europe trip, and we have only four days to expend in Switzerland. <BR>What is the best city to stay, Genebre or Zurich? <BR>We are intending to visit Montblanc, Interlaken, and we had already bought "Eurail Pass". <BR>Any other "must see" recomendation? <BR>Really thanks for your help!

s Apr 17th, 2000 08:57 AM

Roger, <BR>Geneva is probably the best city for your plans. This is the travel time I found at the Swiss Rail site (www.rail.ch): <BR>Zurich - Interlaken 2.5 hours <BR>Zurich - Chamonix 5 hours <BR> <BR>Interlaken - Chamonix 5 hours <BR> <BR>Berne-Interlaken 1 hour <BR>Berne - Chamonix 5 hours <BR> <BR>Lucern - Interlaken 2 hours <BR>Lucern - Chamonix 5.5 hours <BR> <BR>Geneva - Interlaken 3 hours <BR>Geneva - Chaminox 2.5 hours. <BR> <BR>Obviously, staying in Geneva will minimize the time you spend on trains. However, Geneva is not the best that Switzerland has to offer. If you can be flexible with your "must-see" spots, you ought to consider staying in the Berner Oberland, which pretty much delivers the best of alpine scenery, villages, & ambiance. Do a search on the Forum for other views on the B.O. My own favorite spot is Montreux on Lake Geneva, but it's not a central spot for day-tours. Write if you want more info. <BR>s.

dan woodlief Apr 17th, 2000 09:14 AM

Is Switzerland your only stop or part of a larger trip? Where else are you going? Without considering where else you are going, I also recommend the Berner Oberland. Either Murren, Wengen, or Lauterbrunnen. Grindelwald is another option. Interlaken is very touristy, but if you want somewhere to shop, it is the best spot around there. Do a search on Switzerland, or these specific places, and you will find many discussions comparing the towns I mentioned. They all have their own relative positive and negative aspects. If you want to spend one day outside the Berner Oberland, either Bern or Luzern would be terrific choices. You could do either as a daytrip, but it would probably be better to stay overnight in Luzern if you go there because the train ride is longer than to Bern. The Berner Oberland is a very beautiful area with lots to do. I did notice that you also mentioned Mont Blanc. I would suggest staying there and then staying in the Berner Oberland. It would be kind of hard to see both from the same place. I would stay at least two nights in the Berner Oberland, but three would be better.

richard j vicek Apr 17th, 2000 10:15 AM

Good afternoon, Roger <BR>My suggestion would be spend the four <BR>days in the Berneroberland, from there <BR>you can not only go to the tops of the <BR>Jungfrau, and Grindelwald Firstand you have the lakes of Brienz and Thun. Wonderfullittle towns such as Grindelwald, Murren,Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. You could also take <BR>a day trip to Bern or Luzern. If you <BR>want any more information on the Berner <BR>oberland drop me a line and willrespond. <BR>Secondly, would be Luzern as again there <BR>are Pilatus, Rigi and Titlis, along <BR>with Lake Lucerne and all the towns on <BR>its shores. <BR> <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL... <BR>

Ed Apr 17th, 2000 11:19 AM

One more vote for the Berner Oberland. Unless you have interests specific to Geneva or Zuerich I'd skip them. You might want to include a day in Luzern. Our suggestions for a short visit to Switzeralnd at www.twenj.com/swissshort.htm <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com