Active Family looking for Itinerary Advice for Northern Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of five planning a trip to Spain for two weeks in late June/early July 2011. The kids will be 18, 15 and 12 and we all love to hike, bike, kayak as well as eat good food and explore. We tend to get bored sitting on the beach and we are not shoppers. We will begin in Barcelona (4-5 nights?) and I'm trying to figure out what will work best for the remainder of the trip. The Basque region is very appealing, Costa Brava sounds great - and then there are the Pyrenees... What do you recommend given that we only have two weeks? Should we split the time between Barcelona and Bilbao/San Sebastian, perhaps going on day trips to the French basque region? Should we work in Costa Brava? Or do a walking trip through the Pyrenees in Aragon, perhaps? Any recommendations would be so appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Check the Picos de Europa area in Cantabria/ Asturias in Northern Spain. Fantastic area for hiking. Kayaking in the river Sella near Ribadesella, Asturias is very popular. There is an annual big kayaking competition there every summer.
Old Jan 4th, 2011, 07:22 PM

Costa Brava shouldn't be too crowded in late June, but tends to get busy around the 1st of July.

The Basque country is much better at that time of the year.

For the Pyrenees, check out: www.pyreneesguide.com/
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 03:39 AM

I suggest fabulous and very different Bilbao and San Sebastián and the beautiful coastal area between the two. Here you'll find several small towns/villages such as Lekeitio and Getaria.
http://www.lekeitio.com/
http://www.getaria.net/castellano.asp
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM

I suggest my blog for unusual places in the BAsque region, www.blogseitb.us/basquetourism, from a local point of view
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. I think we'll go to Basque. It seems like there's a lot to do there and we can get to the foot of the Pyrenees as well. Do you think it is worth a few days away from the Basque region to go to Costa Brava? I'm thinking that we could spend two nights there after Barcelona and then fly into Bilbao and spend the rest of the trip between Bilbao and San Sebastian. Or is that trying to cram too much into two weeks, given how much there is to do in Basque?
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Personally I'd spend the entire trip in the Basque country but I understand your desire to visit Barcelona. I don't think I'd take a few days away from the Basque Country to visit the Costa Brava - it could feel a little rushed particularly with a group of 5.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Assuming we take a week for the Basque country, how would you break up your time? I'm thinking a couple of days in Bilbao and then maybe 5 days in San Sebastian area. I've been looking at the Hotel Itugerri in Getaria. It looks beautiful. Would you recommend that as a base or are we better off in San Seb itself. I love the idea that there is so much walking we could do right from the Inn in Getaria. The kids would love the accessibility of the outdoors (as well as the pool). Or maybe we are better off trying to find an apartment in San Sebastian. I would appreciate your thoughts and any recommendations. Thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 12:12 PM

You can do quite spectacular walking from San Sebastián as well. For example up Monte Ulia in the eastern end of town along the coast towards Donibane/San Juan (including a short boat-ride), and perhaps even further over Mount Jaizkibel towards Hondarribia close to the French border. Or take the funicular up to the old fun fair at Monte Igueldo in the western end of town and walk along the coast in this direction. Great walking and unbeatable views in both directions.

I would definitely have stayed in San Sebastián and made sure to visit small Getaria for maybe some walking and a lunch/dinner in one of the fabulous fish and seafood restaurants in the harbour area.

Here are some apartment suggestions for San Sebastián:

http://www.rentalia.com/houses/file.php/ref/80152.htm
Two blocks away from the Zurriola beach on the other side of the river in the Gros district, five minutes walk to the Old town and the city center. Some of the city's most popular pintxos/tapas bars on your doorstep (Patio de Ramuntxo, Bodega Donostiarra and Garbola). The Zurriola beach is popular for surfing and different kinds of sports events etc.

http://www.rentalia.com/houses/file.php/ref/63452.htm
This is just by the nice Plaza Easo, close to the center of town and 10 mins walk to La Concha beach and the Old town/Parte vieja.

http://www.rentalia.com/houses/file.php/ref/69355.htm
This is also in the Gros district, on the far end of the Zurriola beach (right on the beach). Would be a 10-15 mins walk into the center and Old town.
http://www.rentalia.com/houses/file.php/ref/26665.htm

This is ideally located on Calle San Martín in the city center, just by the La Concha beach and five minutes from the Parte vieja/Old town.

You should also check out http://www.friendlyrentals.com/en/ap...modation-5.htm
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thsnk you, kimhe, that is great information. I appreciate it.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 07:51 AM

I would absolutely stay at least 5 nights in San Sebastian it is well worth it. Your kids will be very bored in Getaria. Lunch at Elkano or Kaia in Getaria is a must though. I would even skip Barcelona and spend your time in the Basque country, or 5 nights in SS and the rest in Cantabria, Picos de Europa if you really like hiking. I like the ocean and the North coast of Spain is one of the finest places I've ever been.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Egbert, I totally agree with your last recommendation, maybe because I'm one of the few people in the planet that is not so enamoured of Barcelona as most people seem to be.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM

cruiseluv-I'm one of those few also....