only 3 days in Ireland- what's a must to see outside of Dublin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be arriving in Dublin by ship (Semester at Sea) and have only 3 days outside of Dublin to travel by car.I would love to get to either the Dingle Pennisula or the Ring of Kerry? Is it possible? Would travelling by train from Dublin to Killarney and then renting a car make any sense to save travel time? I want to see the beautiful southwest but not spend all of my time in the car. We can leave the ship at 8am -how far should we try to go the first day? Please help!
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 04:45 AM

I'd suggest sticking to the beautiful east or southeast. The southwest is great, but you'll lose so much time in transit, that you won't have time to truly appreciate the southwest.

My advice would be to concentrate on the sites between Dublin, Wexford and maybe Kilkenny. It's truly a beautiful area with so much to see and do.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 05:26 AM

What are your interests? I second the advice from yesiree100 that it would waste much of your precious time to travel to the southwest. It may not look that far on the map, but Irish roads are not straight and wide! It takes a LONG time to get out to the southwest.

If you like historic sites, there are scads of places to occupy you around Dublin. A day trip north to Newgrange, hill of Tara, and Slane Abbey would be fun, as would a day trip south to Powerscourt Falls, Gardens, and Glendalough Abbey.

Dublin itself has lots to offer, and could fill 3 days. Phoenix Park is a great spot for picnics, it has a zoo as well. Howth has a nice view of the land and the sea, as does Dun Loaghaire (sp?).
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 08:07 AM

I would also suggest staying on the East side. Glendalough area and the drives south of Dublin are really nice. If you like hiking and exploring, Glendalough is a beautiful place. Could easily spend a full day or more there.
Powerscourt Estate is nice as well. Then trips to Newgrange, Trim Castle, Monasterboice, are also a good time.
You could probably make a trip down to Kilkenny, and perhaps even Rock of Cashel, but after that it's a stretch for your timeframe.

I just don't think it would be an efficient use of time to go out to the SW... Hopefully one day you could get back to Ireland to go there because it really deserves a good amount of time.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 10:35 AM

I agree...not enough time to drive to the West Country. Dublin has lots to offer and as mentioned day trips to the south to Powerscourt and Glendalough, and to the north to include Trim and Newgrange/Knowth.

Enjoy!
ozarksbill
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:00 PM

IMO the East coast of Ireland is the most scenic.

I would go to Dalky and walk the Vico road to Killiney, Dart back to Dalkey and drive to Greystones.

From there you can visit some wonderful places in Ireland
Visit http://www.valeofavoca.com/
Glendalough, Eniskerry, Vale of Avoca etc are all within your reach and you are still within 1 hour from Dublin.

Enjoy your trip