only 3 days IN IRELAND! help!

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
only 3 days IN IRELAND! help!

First week of July, I arrive Dublin Wednesday at noon, depart Saturday noon. Would love to
- See a bit of Dublin (+museum)
- Get out into some green country! (I live in rugged mountains, so green hills sound great)
- Avoid tourist traps
- Get a taste for what locals love (pubs I already know about)

Is there a way I could do the below WITHOUT a car? If so, can you pass along how I would do it?

Wed at noon: train to Kilkenny, see sights, stay the night
Thurs: go to/hike around Glendalough or Wickow, stay the night there (don't know if there are cheap places?)
Fri: back to Dublin (along the coast if it's possible!)
Sat: flight leaves at noon

Thoughts/suggestions? Was hoping to miss Friday/weekend crowds in Dublin, but do you think it's the best way to get it all in?

Thanks for your help!

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:09 AM

Hello,

I'm Dublin-born and bred and write an alternative travel guide on Dublin called hidden Dublin. You have already got some good ideas and I would add:
- Kilmainham Jail visit; essential to understand modern Ireland
- get the DART electric suburban train to Malahide (castle, marina, nice seaside village), Howth (walk to the top of the hill and there is a cliff walk) or Brey (Victorian seaside resort - lovely DART journey). You will mingle with the natives on the train - fun!
- Kildare is interesting - about 40 mins by train from Dublin and has Japanese gardens (lovely in June) plus the National Stud (horses).

You can't travel by public transport between Kilkenny and Glendalough - the easiest way to go is via St. Kevin's Bus which departs daily from St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.

Hope this helps,

Peter
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Peter!

I'd love to see both Kilkenny and Glendalough somehow - would you suggest I rearrange my itinerary somehow to fit them both in? Or would you suggest I drop one? Are there good walking/hiking areas around Kilkenny?

I'd rather be in a sea of green than a sea of blue (ie I'll stick inland rather than coastal areas - will save those for the next trip!)

thanks!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM

You want green and you want outdoorsy stuff? That's not Kilkenny, which is a small city. It's also a bit of a tourist trap, but I wouldn't hold that against it.

If you are a real walker/hiker, Wicklow should give you plenty of pleasure. Consider this: http://www.wicklowway.com/

Accommodation outside Dublin is generally cheaper.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Hello nativebajan,

Padraig's suggestions are great - if it's walking you're after, then Glendalough is far better. There are various paths and trails and you can walk from Laragh/Glendalough to see St Kevin's bed, the medieval home of the great saint. Kilkenny is a lovely little city but quite brash and busy, excepting its lovely castle.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks for all your help, I'll definitely look more into Wicklow/Glendalough.