Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Only 10 days & must begin and end (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/only-10-days-and-must-begin-and-end-265846/)

June Oct 14th, 2002 11:30 AM

Only 10 days & must begin and end

in Madrid - PLEASE suggest the best use of my time - How long for Madrid - What other places (driving to) and how long in each. I've never been to Spain and need your wise thoughts. Thank you

Rex Oct 14th, 2002 12:15 PM

Just a quick note to suggest trying the message board at www.madridman.com as well as here - - for the best of all kinds of information on Spain travel.<BR><BR>I usually use this phrase referring to France (or Italy), but it's true of Spain also: it's like ten countries in one. <BR><BR>So you're going to have to start with some good general books to focus on two, maybe three general destination(s)/area(s) and then hone in.<BR><BR>Strongly recommend you checkout the website www.parador.es as part of your planning - - but then that's a personal preference - - I like building a trip with a skeleton of cool places where I would like to stay.<BR><BR>I have been to Spain three times, and I am itching to go again soon - - and none of my trips have ever even included Madrid!<BR><BR>Galicia is high on my list of places that I would like to try to combine with a trip that includes Madrid.<BR><BR>Last of all, if you need general route planning/mileage/time info, you will probably want to check out one (or all) of these three excellent websites:<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy. com<BR><BR>or<BR><BR>www.geoshellstar.com<BR><BR>B est wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

nancy Oct 14th, 2002 04:40 PM

I spent about 3 1/2 days in Madrid and it was way too long - did 1 half-day trip to El Escorial & Franco's monument to himself (all interesting), saw all the major museums in Madrid (don't like Spanish painters so wasn't great for me) and the palace, then what?! Wandered around a lot thru plazas and sat in cafes while everything was closed for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. Really had to search for stuff to see.<BR><BR>Would suggest getting out of Madrid as soon as possible and seeing Toledo and Seville - my 2 favorites unless you could make it all the way to Salamanca. Did want to see Avila but couldn't make it there.

Michael Oct 15th, 2002 09:20 AM

From Madrid you might want to visit Segovia and Avila. I believe that these can be visited in a day, although using a few of days and baking a round-trip to both might be a better option.

topper Oct 15th, 2002 11:15 AM

topping<BR>

lincasanova Oct 16th, 2002 03:16 PM

the hub around madrid can keep you busy for a week.. try el escorial, pedraza, segovia, toledo, avila, aranjuez, chinchon, or if you want to branch out all the suggestions of sevilla and granda and that area are excellent.<BR><BR>and do take note of the parador offer of 5 night coupon books. you pre-pay 5 nights at particapting paradors. they also have a special 9 night deal with breakfast, too.. off season.<BR>

lincasanova Oct 16th, 2002 03:19 PM

the hub around madrid can keep you busy for a week.. try el escorial, pedraza, segovia, toledo, avila, aranjuez, chinchon, or if you want to branch out all the suggestions of sevilla and granada and that area are excellent.<BR><BR>in madrid, don´t miss the convent of the barefoot nuns.. ( descalzas).. quaint ... <BR>fun restaurant near american embassy in madrid is called SEPTIMO.<BR><BR>and do take note of the parador offer of 5 night coupon books. you pre-pay 5 nights at participating paradors. they also have a special 9 night deal with breakfast, too.. off season.<BR>