Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   OneSim International SIM cards (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/onesim-international-sim-cards-874129/)

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 02:22 PM

OneSim International SIM cards

This company claims to sell one SIM card that can be used in some 190 countries. The card cost $30, air time is extra...

Has anybody heard good or bad or used it? Is it reliable?

Thanks.

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 02:49 PM

I use ebay #130339364168, "ekit SIM" costs $16 incl. shipping. Free incoming in Europe, 50ct to US.

Checked working in Germany, France, CZ, Austria, Italy. UK (Isle of Man) phone number. The card comes with $10 calling credit, but they want you you recharge at least $10 per year. Fair deal.

If you forget to use callback and dial direct, depending on your phone you might be charged far more. So read the manual and make sure you always use the code in the manual to initiate callback if you're unsure about your phone.

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 03:25 PM

Thanks, logos.

We're planning to use this in Italy, Germany, CZ, France and Spain.

Question is, how's the reception quality... I read some reviews, and was a bit surprised to read some giving it 5 stars, others say it's a terrible service, bad reception, etc. But the number of those reviews is very low, 5-6 at the most, which makes it difficult to establish an opinion....

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 03:39 PM

The ekit works nicely so far for about a year. The worst that can happen is that you lose those $16. Free incoming works great for me since calling a UK cellphone number is rather cheap from anywhere in Europe and I don't need to pay anything for receiving calls.

DeborahAnn Jan 18th, 2011 03:58 PM

logos, I think the ekit card depends on how you will be using it. I've had it for about a year now and the good news is I just top off the minutes to keep it active. The bad news is that it is fairly expensive to use if you are calling mobile phones rather than receiving calls. I had several instances when I couldn't get service. It is 35 cents a call plus 84 cents a minute. I had several problems using it in Italy, Ireland and even the UK but it is cheaper than using my T-mobile in Europe. Deborah

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 04:04 PM

The card I was planning to get is the Passport from Telestial (based in the USA), for $29, incl. $10 airtime.

They'll give me a USA number and a European number, so calling us from the US will be very convenient (and free for us). At least that's what it SHOULD BE...

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 04:11 PM

DeborahAnn, check which Network it's using. If it doesn't work properly on one network, it'll roam on other networks too. You'll get service if you set your mobile on automatic (=default) network search. Basically, it roams on all networks I checked so far.
What you have to do is use the codes given in the manual to initiate a call. Direct dial sometimes doesn't work. It always works with the codes.
(I'm a frequent customer :-) )

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 04:16 PM

mamamia2, it's the same card. Most companies that offerd such a service went bancrupt in 2008. There are just two services that remain. One is "Isle of Man", the other is from Estonia.
Call recieved on the US number will cost you airtime.

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 05:03 PM

That's not what they say at Telestial.... If I purchase the $29 card in all, or most of European countries incoming calls are free....

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 05:07 PM

Only if they call you on the UK number.

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 05:49 PM

Is that what it says or implies there?

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 05:59 PM

Yes. If call recieved on the US number would be free, 300 million Europeans would buy the Telestial card. :D
It's jaust a forwarding service.

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 06:41 PM

Good point.

So now, Logo, please explain to me how this thing works.... From the very beginning, like you explain it to an idiot. OK, not an idiot, one who never used this kind of a system before...

..Thanks.

Sher Jan 18th, 2011 07:14 PM

I purchased the OneSim card at the New York Times travel show where they had a booth.
The calls are on an Estonia number. So when you use it let me say in Italy, the calls are made with roaming through Estonia.
I placed the SIM in my phone and somehow I actually don't know what I did but the SIM locked an I never have been able to use it.
So it may be perfectly reliable but I haven't been able to use the one I purchased.

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 07:30 PM

It comes with a multi page manual!! Point is, when you're dialing out, you dial *YYY*+1xxx xxx xxxx# , hang up and wait for the callback. Your phone will ring and after you pick up you'll be connected after a short "please wait, connecting your call".

If you dial +1xxx xxx xxxx, it may work too or maybe not, depending on your phone. Sometimes, there may not be a callback and you'll be connected instantly, which will be quite expensive.

Other than that, there's nothing you need to keep in mind. Incoming free, if called on UK number.

logos999 Jan 18th, 2011 07:34 PM

Forget about the Estonia SIM. Almost impossible to reach, even from Europe. It's good only if you travel to Russia.

mamamia2 Jan 18th, 2011 08:57 PM

I think that original company I mention, OneSim International is based in Estonia. This 2nd one, Telestial is a UK-based. the woman I talked to this evening was in the USA (I asked).

I think I'm gonna order their Sim card. Makes more sense than spend time looking for a new Sim card every time we cross into another country, and then having to let our family and friends (in our case our next-door neighbor) know the new number, which will be applicable for 3-4-5 days....

Besides, we would be able to use it again next time we go abroad....

nukesafe Jan 18th, 2011 10:26 PM

Bookmarking.

mamamia2 Jan 25th, 2011 07:53 AM

An update:

I ordered the Passport Sim card from Telestial. Got it within 3 business days (UPS express) even though I did not pay extra. Took me couple minutes to instal the card in an unlocked GSM phone we got from a friend, used the new pin code (had to add a "2" for usage in the US), and bingo, the phone was working. I had to call customer support in Boston to get my US number (the only number printed on the card is my UK number. They don't print a US number 'cause it expires if not used for a certain time), and all was good.

My daughter will be able to use the phone when she's landing in Washington to catch her TransAtlantic flight, and when landing in Rome. We will be joining her for a trip in Europe 3 months later. Before leaving I will have a US phone number to leave with my next-door neighbor or family.

Still need to test it in action, working in Europe, but SO FAR this has been a positive experience.

Thanks for all the help, Fodorites!

scatcat Jan 25th, 2011 10:47 AM

I have had a Telestial phone for several years. Last August I bought a new one from them that had the US number too. The incoming calls to most European are free. I have never had a problem with either phone. Recharging the minutes is easy online.