Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One week to departure and just stubbed toe... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-week-to-departure-and-just-stubbed-toe-979435/)

schnauzer May 28th, 2013 02:56 AM

One week to departure and just stubbed toe...

I stubbed my toe this afternoon, didn't think it was too bad, hurt but not excruciatingly so. I did put on ice but just checked it now 4 hours later and it swollen and really purple. Leaving for France next week. Can't believe it.... Any suggestions? Have it elevated and can't take ibuprofen.
Schnauzer

nytraveler May 28th, 2013 03:04 AM

Get to an ER or urgi center and have it x-rayed to make sure it isn't broken. As long as it's one of the smaller toes they can probably do something with it - but there is no way I would travel without knowing exactly what is wrong.

sparkchaser May 28th, 2013 05:23 AM

Cancel your trip. You did buy trip insurance, didn't you?

Or, go see a doctor and make sure you didn't break anything. You might get lucky and have a big ol' cast put on it and then you can pre-board the airplane with the elite status members and "people that need additional time".

greg May 28th, 2013 07:17 AM

I have had this. After checking with x-ray to make sure it was not serious, I only took shoes with stiff soles, especially at the tip, to keep the toe from bending when walking.

sarge56 May 28th, 2013 07:59 AM

Get a "boot" from the pharmacy. Helps to not bend the toe. Good luck!

schnauzer May 28th, 2013 01:17 PM

Thanks but no way am I cancelling my 4 weeks in France, even with insurance. I have waited too long for this trip...It is still purple this morning but doesn't feel so sore. Hopefully that is a good sign,

I like the idea of elite status that is definitely me!,, will check with pharmacy to see what they have. It is the second little toe so I can get away without it!!!!

Thanks for the help,
Schnauzer

Dukey1 May 28th, 2013 01:32 PM

Schnauzer, quite frankly this is the very LAST detail we needed to hear about your personal life. Gert a damned band-aid and move ON.

socialworker May 28th, 2013 01:48 PM

I am sorry to hear, of this, schnauzer. DS did this (at age 14) right before a trip to Europe and we bought some hiking type shoes that did the trick, but you sound like you are on the mend and it is a "lesser" toe :)...His was the big toe and it was pretty bad...

(I am not sure what is going on w/you, Dukey.....gratuitously unkind....)

StCirq May 28th, 2013 03:10 PM

Sorry to hear this. Have it checked out, get a boot and anything else the Dr. recommends, and ask for wheelchair assistance at the airport (went to Paris with a broken foot in September and SAILED through the airports and train stations!)Don't know what airline you're using, but the Air France personnel were just incredibly helpful at every turn.

jaja May 28th, 2013 03:10 PM

Might help to tape the toe in question to the one next to it.

schnauzer May 29th, 2013 12:21 AM

Band-aid on, problem now removed....why didn't I think of that!!!!

LouisaH May 29th, 2013 03:50 AM

Dukey, is this the type of advice you would give your patients? Your rant was totally uncalled for.

schnauzer, do take care and have it checked out if for no other reason than to get assistance at the airport.

schnauzer May 29th, 2013 04:56 AM

Thanks Louisa, I think it is feeling better ( now the band aid is on), still purple but not so painful. I think Dukey is trying to be funny, surely? At least I read it that way,

thursdaysd May 29th, 2013 05:09 AM

Really, if it's not your big toe, there's nothing you can do except tape it to the next toe and wait it out. Pain killers if you must. I did the exact same thing while traveling in Nepal (hit the trailing foot on the threshold of the "Chinese" temple at Lumbini), and just kept going despite limping. I didn't even tape it, but I was wearing fairly sturdy hiking boots.

socialworker May 29th, 2013 08:50 AM

I guess my sense of humor button was on pause when I read Dukey's response.....sorry if I misread.....