Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One Week 'til Paris ! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-week-til-paris-915298/)

tomarkot Dec 18th, 2011 07:44 PM

One Week 'til Paris !

With our trip to Paris now only one week away, we're getting more excited each day. We'd like to thank the many Fodorite's who have offered so many helpful tips. We have our "list" of restaurant favs suggested by many of you. Denisea, your most recent information on that front is invaluable. We used your suggestion of Victor's Taxi Service for our airport-hotel transport. We appreciate the information offered by many of you regarding the use of the Paris bus system. We intend to play it by ear day by day, hoping to get a few sunny days to enjoy some outdoor strolling, a boat trip on the Seine, etc. Maitaitom, when we were in the early planning stages of this trip, we read your trip report and enjoyed your Christmas Video. We're sorry that your trip for Christmas week of this year had to be put re-scheduled. We'll enjoy a drink in honor of you and Tracy.

avalon Dec 18th, 2011 11:22 PM

The weather has been great accoring to fiends who are ther enow. Even if it isn't it is still Paris. Have a grwat time. Hope you have made your dinner reservations for Christmas

avalon Dec 18th, 2011 11:22 PM

That is friends not fiends!!

denisea Dec 19th, 2011 04:47 AM

I am excited for you (and jealous). We were talking on Saturday night about how much we really enjoyed Paris last Christmas and we really hope to go back at Christmas.

Victor is excellent. I do hope you make it to Reed but I look forward to hearing all of your culinary experiences. Where is Christmas dinner going to be?

You will get lots of outdoor strolling done even if it is snowy/sleety they way it was for us one day. We were lucky to get snow and I hope you get a little snow-like we had. very Christmasy!

Have a great time and a wonderful Christmas. Joyeux Noel and Bon Voyage!!

tomarkot Dec 19th, 2011 11:57 AM

Avalon, thanks for your info. We hope fair weather continues.
Denisea, thanks for your enthusiastic response. Our flight leaves the day after Christmas, so Christmas dinner will be at home. We've been so overloaded with entertaining (big family party at our place on Saturday night) that we haven't had time to focus on many details of our Paris trip, except for following the Fodor's forum, which has been a big help in collecting ideas. But this week it's prep time in earnest. Among the restaurants on our developing list, Reed is definitely a "must". Our hotel is on Rue Dauphine, close to Rue de Buci. So we're planning to explore the St. Sulpice Christmas market, as well as other things in the area which are walkable. Of course, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, Ile St. Louis are always favs of ours. We've never visited Musee Jacquemart-Andre, a great suggestion by you and Maitaitom. From there, we'll likely stroll the Champs. We noticed your comment on another thread about liking the town of Reims. We had been discussing taking a train there on one day. In general, our style is to play it by ear whenever we travel. So that's what we're planning to do on this trip also, with the exception of booking some restaurant reservations through our hotel concierge when we arrive. There are so many wonderful things to enjoy in Paris, as you well know. We're looking forward to a relaxed pace, taking in the beautiful Christmas decorations, festivities, etc. enjoying many of the cafes, bistros, and shops.

Denisea, we wish you a wonderful Christmas, filled with warm memories of your recent Thanksgiving trip!

denisea Dec 19th, 2011 01:15 PM

I did figure out after my post that you were likely leaving after Christmas.

I really did like Reims...the cathedral there is awe inspiring. I prefer it to Notre Dame in Paris. It was, worthy of the coronation of French kings. A trip to a Champagne house never hurt anyone and I did spot the Hotel de Ville in town, which was the childhood home of Nicole Barbe (the widow) Cliquot.

No worries...you don't need to plan really. Paris will always allow you to let the day take you were it wants...I would let it take me to Un Dimanche a Paris! :-)

Judy Dec 19th, 2011 01:31 PM

Have a fantastic trip, tomarkot!! We were there one year before Christmas and stayed in an apartment on rue de Seine, very close to your hotel (is it the Regent?) and loved walking around the immediate area. I remember overhead Christmas lights down rue St Andre des Arts. We liked it so well we've booked an apartment for mid December next year on rue Dauphine! Can't wait for your trip report!

Michel_Paris Dec 19th, 2011 02:01 PM

Lucky you!

You've seen the Cluny?

Some good restos in area, Cafe Bonaparte for a croque monsieur, Petit Zinc, Chez Clement...

I've been to a few nighttime classical concerts at local churches in the area. Perhaps a jazz club?

I will fight any feelings of jealousy :)

cornelius01 Dec 19th, 2011 03:47 PM

It is so Paris to hear a classical concert in a local church...we do one each time that we go. We especially like the one at Ste Chappel. Enjoy!

tomarkot Dec 20th, 2011 11:19 AM

Judy, Denisea, Cornelius01, Michel_Paris: It's great to receive your wonderful suggestions and good wishes for our trip. So many Paris lovers! We do have one classical concert scheduled, and may attend another. A jazz concert sounds good also. Judy, glad to hear your enthusiasm for the area around Rue Dauphine. And we'll follow those restaurant suggestions. Denisea, we think we'll just book Victor's Taxi for our return tranport to the airport. As of now, we just have him lined up to pick us up when we arrive. Thanks, all!

tomarkot Dec 21st, 2011 06:42 AM

In checking the 10-day forecast, we're happy to note temps in the 40's and at least some hints of sun. We're very willing to forego the nostalgia of a white Christmas for decent flying weather.

Regarding booking a return to CDG (hate to think of return at this point!) but for those who've dealt with Victor's Taxi, would you suggest booking online at home for our return? At first, we thought about just booking with the driver on our arrival pick-up, but now are wondering whether the driver would speak English or take care of the "administrative" end. Would appreciate any thoughts about booking the return to CDG.

Michel_Paris Dec 21st, 2011 06:48 AM

I'd book at home. Is there a number you could call the night before leaving for home?

denisea Dec 21st, 2011 07:56 AM

I know Victor speaks English; not sure about his other drivers. I would call Victor a day or 2 before your return to book it. We called the day before for our return to CDG.

Do you have his phone and email info?

tomarkot Dec 21st, 2011 08:57 AM

Denisea, I got Victor's e-mail from one of the posts on Fodor's. I'll look it up. Good to know that he speaks English. I just checked your TR thread, and agree with the idea that having a reliable return to CDG is more even more important than the transport upon arrival.

On the subject of phoning, do you use phone cards, or get a cell phone with local SIMS?

Thanks again, Denisea, for your helpful and prompt response. I'm sure we'll have a few more questions before our departure day. We're getting more excited with each passing day. Just reading about all the cafes and restaurants makes us salivate for the flavors of Paris. We're relieved that the weather on our end (midwest) and in Paris looks to be OK for travel. One less worry. And easier to pack.

denisea Dec 27th, 2011 04:56 AM

Sorry to not be so prompt here with a response. I think you are already there.

I am a bit lazy with phones. I turned on the international plan on my iPhone for the trip only and then turn it off when I return. I make very few calls, so I don't really need a phone while there. I only needed to call Paris Perfect on arrival with my cell phone. The PP apartments have phones for local calls AND to US landlines, so a cell is not really a necessity. My second choice would be a local SIM card.

I hope you are having a great time!

TPAYT Dec 27th, 2011 06:45 AM

We'll be looking forward to your TR.

denisea----as far as calling your apt., the nice people at one of the info booths in the arrival hall of CDG called the apt. service for us---now that's a welcoming service.

denisea Dec 27th, 2011 10:10 AM

Good to know, TPAYT.