Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One week out of Rome in March 2010: Vienna? Budapest? Athens? Other?

Feb 6th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

WHERE would you recommend for a one-week trip, out of Rome? Here's my situation:

We fly into Rome on March 6 and leave our Rome apartment on the morning of March 12.

We fly home out of Milan on Monday March 22, after a weekend with an old Milanese friend (March 20/ 21).

Originally I thought of renting a car for the intervening week and an apartment in Tuscany (or other region between Rome and Milan). But we've done that 4 years running.

Now I'm thinking of taking a cheap flight to a NEARBY country. But no more than 2 hours in the air.

I can get a return flight to Athens for $145 Cdn ...or a return flight to Vienna (FCO-VIE-MIL) for $206... You get the picture.

Even North Africa is a possibility. The only countries I exclude are France and Switzerland.

Given that March is NOT a warm month in most of Europe, WHERE would you recommend for a one-week trip, probably centred in the destination city, with the possibility of day trips?
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:01 AM

Spain.
Vueling has cheap flights from Rome.
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:14 AM

You can fly to Seville , visit Granada ( Alhambra) and Cordoba.
http://www.vueling.com/?language=EN
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Do they have tickets to Fez, Morocco?

That would be my choice for something completely different & exotic & I would stay here:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/0...seffarine.html

Andalusia is a great idea too. I'm here now in a beautiful white village, near the Med sea and it is a warm and sunny day (typical winter in Europe's warmest spot).

Granada area & the Alhambra could work:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/03/la-alhambra.html

We adore Seville:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/0...blime-sev.html

Or fly into Malaga & go to Ronda?

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/0...-to-ronda.html

Sintra & Lisbon won't be as warm as southern Spain, but also a delight!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2008/0...llating-s.html

Music is divine in Vienna, but as you say, weather tends to be pretty yucky in most of Europe at this time (thus the reason this is the 4th year that we have wintered in sunny Spain )
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:34 AM

Morocco??

You can stay in Fes a few days, then see Meknes, Volubilus (sp?), and Rabat or Marrakesh.

I was there in February and the weather was springlike.

Different from Europe and so perhaps a nice change for you.

What do you like to do?

Vienna has a lot of culture - art, music, etc. Lots to do.

Budapest would not be enough for me for more than 3 days but that's just my opinion. Did love the foie gras there though!

Prague is charming and would keep me busy for 4 days...Lots of music there of every sort if you like music. I really was taken in by Prague.

Morocco would be like a whole other vacation though. Really different from all the other spots. Lots of craft in Fes - if leather dying, rug making, embroidery, spices, and all of that is of any interest to you. Plus the architecture is unique and the food different from Rome and wonderful. For my daughter and I Volubilus was really special and a nice tie in to your Roman holiday. But, it is a developing country in a lot of ways, so a bit rougher sometimes than Western Europe. As in bring your hand wipes!

If you have not been to Spain, Alhambra is pretty special too as is the Real Alcazar. I was underwhelmed by Seville beyond Real Alcazar and the whole Tapas thing was seedier than I expected. My 18 year old netted it out - "spring breakish" was her take. We were there the last week of March so perhaps it was spring break! Still, if you like a great Cathedral and old windy streets and a look at Flamenco, then Andalusia is very nice that time of year. We visited Seville, Granada, and Rhonda. Unfortunately we didn't have time for Cordoba. The weather was nice - we even sat around the pool a few times. (We're from New England though.)

My vote is Morocco!!

gruezi
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

I am very tempted by the suggestion of Spain but I wonder if I can do it justice, with so little time to plan. The other places I mention are places I have visited before, whereas I have never been to Spain.

I'll check out the flight situation, including costs. ALso the Morocco option -- We both speak good French so the N African ex-colonies are an attractive possibility.

Thanks to the posters above. Meanwhile I hope a few others will offer a competing suggestion or will elaborate on those above.
Feb 6th, 2010, 07:42 AM

Spain is a large and wonderful country; it is hard to
"do it justice" in one trip anyway.
With the time you have , you can at least see some of the south .
BTW, it is 18C in Seville right now, -12C in my hometown.
I wish I were in Spain!
Feb 7th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

How would Barcelona be at that time of the year? Spring-like?

(Barcelona seems to be Vueling's hub and from there I could fly direct to Milan. By contrast, Seville requires an inconvenient connection via Barcelona, to get to Milan)

If weather were compatible with Rome (15 C avg. daily high), I would not have to bring 2 entirely different set of clothes...
Feb 7th, 2010, 06:29 AM

I would see Sicily--you can fly to Catania or Palermo.
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

I already checked the Alitalia flights from Rome to Catania and Palermo but they run around $6-700 return. Just not economic, alas, compared to other destinations. Plus we'd need a car thereafter.
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:16 AM

Ted, I was in Barcelona last March ( with a friend during her Ontario school March break - not sure of dates)for 5 days .. the weather was lovely , we had lunch outside every day, but as most places in the spring ( including Rome!) there is always a possibility of some rain.
Barcelona is a fantastic city !
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:21 AM

p.s
it is 7C in Rome, 11C in Barcelona right now!
I would imagine one set of clothes would be fine in both places.
Feb 7th, 2010, 09:26 AM

hi tedgale,

given that the connections to Barcelona are so good, that woudl get my vote. we went for 3 days in September and had a great time, with our main complaint being that we didn't have long enough there.

with 5 days you would have plenty of time to get your bearings, have a couple of day - trips, wander around aimlessly..perfect.

www.derbyhotels.com have had some great deals recently.
Feb 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

It's coming down to a choice between Barcelona and Vienna + Budapest.

My "northern" side and my "southern" affinities are in full conflict. I feel like one of those "repressed yet yearning" (English, Edwardian) characters from an E M Forster novel:

1. The return flight to Vienna is just $210 Canadian and we can get good rates at hotels we know and trust in Vienna and Budapest.

Plus I feel I have some unfinished business in both places -- I never did all the things I meant to do in either of those cities, Vienna especially.

2. OTOH: the Derby group offerings in Barcelona seem quite attractive and there are some quite hip properties. A friend who is a Barcelona junkie has castigated me for never visiting Spain and I do want to dip my toe in those Iberian waters, so to speak....

3. I checked out trains from Rome to the South and if you're going anywhere past Salerno the travel-time is truly punishing.

I'll be back with further questions, no doubt. Thanks for the excellent advice so far.
Feb 7th, 2010, 03:45 PM

As much as I like Vienna ( never been to Budapest), Barcelona would be my choice in March ( or any time).

another Barcelona junkie
Feb 7th, 2010, 07:13 PM

Boy that Derby Hotels collection sure looks enticing. That and the warmer weather in Barcelona would do it for me.

Wherever you go, Tedgale, several of us will follow you in the future.... you always seem to find just the kind of places I really like.

Good luck and safe trip.