One week in Paris and then where else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning two weeks in Europe in July. Our family consists of three people: myself, my husband and our six year old daughter. I'd like a week in Paris. Then where to? We went to Italy two years ago and loved it.

Perhaps the Cote d'Azure? Provence? The Loire valley? I would like to see at least one chateau.

We live in on the east coast of the US. I am hoping to get to under 10K including airfare.

Thanks!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 04:47 PM

July can be hot in France - some beach time might be nice for you daughter. Menton or some other small town would be my choice.
You can also do a number of day trips from most towns on the Cote.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
There's so much to see in Paris that a week is not enough IMHO.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Normandy. Brittany. Loire.

Nice and cool that time of year.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Rent a car and drive to Normandy, stopping in the Loire Valley enroute to see a chateau or two. There will be plenty to keep you busy for a week - Rouen, Caen, Bayeux, D Day beaches, Mont St-Michel.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM

Your daughter would probably love the Dordogne. Castles galore and prehistoric caves, gorgeous scenery, great food, canoeing on the rivers.........

But really, there are castles all around Paris, too, and just about everywhere else in France. A few hints about what else you'd like to see and do would help.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 04:24 AM
ira

Hi ana,

Within a few hours by train you can be in Strasbourg for Alsace, Dijon for Burgundy, Libourn for the Dordogne, Avignon for Provence, Normandy, or London, England.

Old Apr 11th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. My daughter has enjoyed looking at pictures of Versaille so I think that's what she'd like. Castles enchant her. She also likes beaches a lot.

My husband said he liked Carcassone. How far is that from Paris? Is there anything else to see in that area that anyone recommends?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 08:05 AM

Carcassonne is the largest walled medieval city in France, and a long way from Paris. It will be absolutely mobbed in July. You won't want to spend more than 2-3 hours there anyway. I surely wouldn't make it my primary destination outside Paris. There's plenty to see and do in the area, but I would not make Carcassonne the focus; rather, perhaps, a stop on the way to the coast or Provence. But really, I would go with one of the suggested areas above and forget about Carcassonne for now. If your daughter likes beaches, take the train to La Rochelle and spend a few days on the Ile de Ré. Or head to Normandy or Brittany.