Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One Week in Ireland: Self-Catered - Good Nightlife?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My fiancee and I are planning our second trip to Ireland, for our honeymoon in April. We would like to get a small, self-catered place where we can relax, and most importantly, enjoy local pubs. We enjoy the west/sw areas the most, and just need to find a place where there is great local nightlife, along with a good location to make day trips from. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Look at options in Lahinch, Co. Clare. We stayed at the Links holiday village [you can find it online] which was a 60-second drive and a 5-minute walk from the town center. EXcellent pub grub at the Corner Store and at the Shamrock Hotel. There's a sizeable Centra [grocery store] stuck off behind the main street, too. The home we stayed in had a nice fireplace, and we bought turf at the convenience store on the corner of the main street. It's a very cozy fire, and the smell is heavenly. There are several pubs in Lahinch, some offering live music...but you're also just a short drive from Doolin, which is considered the ultimate location for traditional music. Also in Lahinch there's a nice beach, and some decent shopping. For more, Ennistymon is just a 5-minute drive away, and beyond it, Ennis, which is a LOVELY town. In fact, on my PREVIOUS trip we stayed in a B&B in Ennis, called the Fountain Court, which was heavenly.

Clare is a great location for both natural beauty -- the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren -- and antiquities such as the Poulnabrone Dolmen, and many, many old monasteries and such. Stop in a gas station and buy [for about 8 - 10 euro, well worth it] one of those detail map books, the kind that has one page for about 10 square miles or so. They pinpoint every single old pile of rocks in the countryside, lots of things you won't have read about anywhere. I find i actually like the more off-the-beaten-path things.

Another self-catered place in Lahinch is The Wharfs Apartments, which is right on the ocean. The Wharf and the Links are the only 2 i know of for sure, altho there might be others. But both were VERY convenient.

Congratulations on your marriage.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I second the Lahinch recommendation!Many good self catering units in the town..Links, Summer Cove,etc Check the Irish Tourist Board site. Just be sure they are three or four star. Many good pubs with pub grub within walking distance. There are other higher end restaurants within a few minutes drive...Byrne's in Ennistymon is great..Lazy Lobster in Doolin. Much to do in the area.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Consider Clonakilty, home to DeBarras. Good, central location for SW Cork / Kerry. Wife and I will be nearby, in Kilcrohane (Sheep's Head), the FIRST week in April, for our 35th Anniversary.

Bob
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM

What a fun honeymoon!

Well we really loved doing self-catering in Westport. There are a number of townhouses for rent, scattered in or near the truly hopping center of town. The pubs there are lively! And there are so many with great music! Matt Malloy's and the Porterhouse are probably the best.

The landscape around Westport - Clew Bay, Clare Island, Achill Island - was very special and made for amazing day trips. We went on great hikes, walked on the islands and took lovely scenic drives through Connemara.

Staying in the center of town made us feel so, well local - shopping at the butcher shop and the grocery store. Very fun. There are many self-catering places in Westport - we stayed in one on Church Lane which was a block or so from the town center and perhaps 2 blocks from Matt Malloy's. There were also some river view ones on the mall that looked charming.

Try these sites:
www.irelandwestholidayhomes.com
www.selfcatering-ireland.com
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:45 AM

I'd take a look at Dingle. I think the peninsula is among the most beautiful places in the world, and the town is full of great pubs. You'll find music every night of the week.

I have self-catered in Clonakilty and think that's another good suggestion. Nice little town and a good location for a variety of day trips.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Hi

Have you thought about staying in Galway city. Lots of apartments for rent. Plenty of pubs and nightlife, easy access (you need a car) for day trips to Clare, Mayo and the gaeltacht areas of Galway.