One way rental, no drop charge?

Apr 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

One way rental, no drop charge?

I'm considering renting a car for a week to drive from Zurich to Rome June 30-July 6 one way. The sites I've checked the car rental companies are adding a drop charge (often surreptiously) of $300-$400. Anyone know of companies that do not charge for one-ways? TKS
Apr 11th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Try easyCar.com....
Apr 11th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Drop charges are almost always added. Try calling Kemmel or AutoEurope for their rates, also Dollar rental car in Europe offers reasonable rates and there may not be an addtl drop fee.
Apr 11th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Nope - other ideas? Dollar and EasyCar do not have Zurich offices, Kemwell and AutoEurope are both adding a $387 drop charge. Other ideas?
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:51 PM

This is a pretty major problem. I looked for a way to rent a car in Venice that I was going to drop off in Cannes, and finally gave up. I'm not renting one car in Venice and dropping off in San Remo, taking a train the couple of miles to Menton and then renting another car that I will drop off in Paris. Although it's two separate rentals, it comes out a whole lot cheaper than one rental with the drop-off charges.

You might look for a place where you can do something similar, depending on your route. Drop off the first car in Lugano and pick one up in Stesa for example??
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
ira

Hi jeff,

If you are crossing international borders, you should expect drop-off charges.
Apr 11th, 2004, 03:29 PM

In late May/early June, I'll be renting a car in Germany and dropping off in Austria. I'm going through www.gemut.com, and the drop-off charge is about $150. They guarantee the lowest car rental rates in Europe.
Apr 11th, 2004, 05:56 PM

My, how much diffence a single letter typo can make. Above, I meant "I am NOW renting. . ." I didn't mean "I am NOT renting. . ."
Apr 11th, 2004, 06:17 PM

Across borders you can count on a drop off charge. Basically, the rental companies have to ship that car back to the country from which it was rented. It's their charge for that service. Within the same country theri is no charge, usually since the car can be returned or sold back to the car manufacturer from which it was acquired. You also have to deal with the licensing and registration laws of different countries. So, the car has to go back from whence it came.

By the way, one time I got lucky in Frankfurt renting a car to be dropped off in Paris. They had a car that was French registered and I had the drop off charge waived since I was returning the car for them.
Apr 11th, 2004, 07:13 PM
rex

I don't know how long you are in Switzerland - - but you could consider:

1. train only in Switzerland, including Zurich-Lugano - - or a shorter term rental in Switzerland and drop it off in Lugano.

and then,

2. a second rental of an Italian car. You may be able to get an Italian car, even though you are still in CH at the Lugano airport, or if not, then perhaps a bus or train from Lugano to Como, where you ought to be able to get a car with no drop charge for Rome return.

Best wishes,

Rex
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:17 PM
kr

ttt