Reload this Page >

one way ferry from london to amsterdamn

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 1999, 09:30 AM
jason

does anyone know a ferry that goes from london to amsterdam? Does the ferry travel late at night and arrive in amsterdam in the morning? Where does ferry arrive/depart? <BR>thanks a bunch.

Old May 13th, 1999, 09:40 AM
Johnny S.M.

Thanks a bunch???

Old May 13th, 1999, 09:41 AM
Johnny S.M.

Thanks a bunch???

Old May 13th, 1999, 09:43 AM
elvira

check http://www.a2btravel.com/ferry.html <BR>alternative is to take the Chunnel to Brussels, than continue on a train to Amsterdam (probably more expensive, but certainly a lot faster) <BR>

Old May 13th, 1999, 02:02 PM
jeff

Jason, <BR> Are you opposed to flying out of Amsterdam? British Midways offers a flight for about $125.00 one way. It's a lot cheaper than the rail or a ferry. It's just a suggestion. <BR>

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 10:06 PM
Rain

7/20/99 <BR>Years ago I took a ferry from a city outside of London that was pronounced Harridge (not the exact spelling) to Hook den Hague. Very long and boring. Take the advice to pay extra to go faster. Wish I could be going on the Chunnel myself. Oh, I had prepaid because I'd purchased a Britrail pass here in Miami. They're invaluable so look for the same or a similar deal as ferry crossings are often included. Good luck and have fun!

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:05 AM
Craig

I can't recall off-hand where the ferries depart in Britain (not London, I reckon), but they land in Hoek van Holland. It is nearby Den Haag and about 45 min by train to Amsterdam. Also about a 30 minute drive to Rotterdam (I blew by the Rotterdam exit and didn't realize it until H.v.Holland appeared on the sign before me).

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 07:41 AM
Neil

Jason <BR>The ferries go from Harwich which is in Suffolk County. There are trains from Liverpool Street in east London which connect wth most of the boats. Thee leave in the evening for a long (and I have to say dreary) overnight crossing to the Hook of Holland (from where you can indeed take another train to Amsterdam). In all honesty, I too would say take the plane. It is much quicker, and pricce wise there is little in it - though it may be cheaper to buy a return and throw away the return sector. <BR>Have fun - Amsterdam is a great city <BR>Neil

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 03:07 AM
Ben Haines

The fare from London to Amsterdam to London on the train, catamaran, and train is 50 or 60 pounds. Leave Liverpool Street station in London on Sndays at 0845 or 1715, arrive Amsterdam Central at 1733 or 0214. Or other days leabve London 0850 or 1725, arrive Amsterdam 1733 or 0214. Eight hours travel. Nothing like the times of the good old days when the boat (not catamaran) was slowed down to give a good night's sleep (is sleeping dreary ?), giving times as Liverpool Street 1930, Amsterdam Central 0840. The boats were defeated by the Channel tunnel, and the expensive Eurostar route, London Waterloo to Brussels South to Amsterdam, seven hours travel. <BR> <BR>All surface travel is now undercut by no-frills airlines from North London. The sites http://www.easyjet.com and htp://www.klm-uk.com will show you several flights daily at about forty pounds. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>