Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One way car rental, Europe-Which company to use (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-way-car-rental-europe-which-company-to-use-881939/)

3gentravel Mar 14th, 2011 10:22 AM

One way car rental, Europe-Which company to use

Hello Experts-

We will be doing a 7 day rental in Europe-yes, we are aware of the HIGH additional fees we will encounter, but we are prepared. Currently, I have only spoken to National. Then before confirming the reservation-he suggested call Europcar (thier partner) to see if I could get a better deal. However, when I googled Europcar, there were a TON of complaints about additional charges, poor customer service, etc.

so, I come to you experts to find out which company to rent from in either Basel or Bern Switzerland, with a drop off in Venice? (Probably Basel as Bern airport closes at 1430 on Saturdays).

Again-thank you thank you thank you!

StuDudley Mar 14th, 2011 10:31 AM

Use either AutoEurope or Kemwel (they are really the same company). They are brokers & will find the best rates from EuropCar, Hertz, Avis, etc. If you have problems with the rental - you'll deal with AutoEurope/Kemwel - which will look out for your best interests (instead of you dealing directly with Hertz/Euopecar in Europe). We only had a 150E drop off fee when we picked up the car in Prague & dropped it in Budapest. I've rented 30-40 cars from AutoEurope/Kemwel.

Stu Dudley

ira Mar 14th, 2011 10:45 AM

I agree with Stu

ira Mar 14th, 2011 10:46 AM

PS

Also check www.gemut.com

ira Mar 14th, 2011 10:48 AM

PPS

You will need an International Driver's Permit in Italy and a road tax sticker (vignette) in Switzerland if you want to drive on the Autoroutes

bobthenavigator Mar 14th, 2011 11:29 AM

Train to Torino or Como and get the car there---you will save a bundle.

Bellarosa Mar 14th, 2011 11:40 AM

I agree with Stu--we have used AutoEurope several times, and they have even waived the one-way fee if they have a car that needs to go back to its country of origin. Otherwise, the 150 Euro one-way fee was much less than what some of the US car rental companies wanted to charge. You also need the road tax sticker and hazard stuff in Austria, even if you are only driving through it. You can get them at any Autoroute rest stop. Also, if you rent a car in most any other company than Italy, your credit card may cover the excess insurance (AE does, and one of my MC's does).

3gentravel Mar 14th, 2011 12:22 PM

Ok,

so this is what I have so far-

We can pick a car up in Basel Switzerland, then drop off in Venice. I need the following:

International DL For Switzerland, Austria, Italy. (Will be calling AAA for this).

Road tax sticker for Austria & Switzerland (Can these be purchased at the rental car agency?)

The rental will actually end in Italy when we arrive. We will be using Rail/bus for all of our Italy Travel-however, this probably still means we need a permit, correct?

Also, If I do the reservation, will my mom be able to use her credit card for payment so we can eliminate the I pay, she pays me, I send money to the bank, etc?

I pay for everthing with a debit card-will this pose a problem with Kemwel?

StuDudley Mar 14th, 2011 01:08 PM

If you pick up the car is Switzerland, most likely there will already be a Swiss sticker on the car.

In Austria, I don't recall having to purchase a sticker. Somehwere between Germany & Hungary, I did purchase one, but I think that was when we entered Hungary. There was a large "booth" just as we crossed the border.

I don't think it makes any difference whose credit/debit card is used to pay Kemwel. I used a debit card for many years. However, on one of my 30 or so car rentals, the clerk at the place where I picked up the car would not accept a CC for "deposit" with my name on it, because the rental was in my wife's name. We had to use one of her cards.

I rented a car from Kemwel about 2 hrs ago and received a 5% AAA discount. You'll have to call them to get the discount.

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Mar 14th, 2011 01:10 PM

>> car is Switzerland<<

car in Switzerland

Stu Dudley

StuDudley Mar 14th, 2011 01:15 PM

>>Italy Travel-however, this probably still means we need a permit, correct<<

Permit for what? I've never purchased a permit for anyting in Italy.

Stu Dudley

3gentravel Mar 14th, 2011 01:36 PM

Stu Dudley-

Well Thank you!! You are so helpful! :) Now that I have a handle on the car rental issues, once reservation is made, I will have to tackle the rail system in Italy! haha

Thank you for all the info and for answering my question as to whether or not the car would have the appropriate stickers for the country it was in!

I will be more relaxed when all the planning is done! :)

ekscrunchy Mar 14th, 2011 03:25 PM

You do not need a permit for Italy.

Dave1980 Oct 28th, 2012 09:46 AM

Anyone know how much the drop off fee would be if we pick up in Lisbon Portugal and travel through Spain, France, Italy (optional), Switzerland and drop off in Frankfort.

bobthenavigator Oct 28th, 2012 10:44 AM

Wild guess---500E
The expense of sending a man to pick it up and return it to home.

DebitNM Oct 28th, 2012 10:53 AM

We just rented using Kemwel. As we were doing a one way rental, I wanted to be sure that we got a company that did not charge 1way drop off fee. Rather than using website, I simply called the and requested EuropCar.

I also strongly suggest getting car insurance from American Express, if you have a card. We have a basic card, so for $24.95 we got converge on the rental that was full coverage, no deductible and was primary coverage. Good thing to as the car got lots of scratches getting around some very narrow streets, including the drive into our gite!

StCirq Oct 28th, 2012 11:01 AM

<<Anyone know how much the drop off fee would be if we pick up in Lisbon Portugal and travel through Spain, France, Italy (optional), Switzerland and drop off in Frankfort.>>

The car rental companies know. Call and ask them. But figure on about 500E.