One way airline tickets - pros & cons?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to England and perhaps other countries next spring but want to keep the routes and times flexible. The trip will begin and possibly end in England. However, I would like the freedom to be able to carry on to Holland, Denmark, France, or even Italy. Having a return or an open-jaw ticket is very limiting, so I'm wondering about booking a flight to England and leaving the return trip open. Has anyone here had experience with doing this? Did you have to pay an arm and a leg to get home (which for me is Canada)? Did immigration officials give you a hard time since you didn't have an ongoing or return ticket?
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Book your CanJet flight on airtransat.ca; Winter 2011-2012: New Gateways South! Winter flights to Europe now available for booking! airtransat.ca: your one-stop shop for ...
www.airtransat.ca

Best deals for doing this does not cost more to do this

with them usuallu

cheapoair.com for other carriers one way LOTS more $$$ usually

sometimes usually lots cheaper for me to book RT and throw

away the return...

So I never do it except with an econo like Transaat.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM

and check your consular advisories you are required to have

an ongoing mode of transport out of the country if you

fly in one way they do hassle you more particularly Gatwick

where my son had a gig in Prague flew into LON no ongoing

ticket they held him for 8 hours in a cell till we bought

the ongoing ticket... so there is another drawback..
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM

so if u comein one way maybe ryanair.com booked in advance

to another country is cheap... skyscanner.net other options
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM

This past spring I went to the UK on a one way ticket as I'd booked on a ship to come home. I had no trouble with immigration, no one has ever asked me to produce an onward ticket anywhere in a life full of travel. I've heard of it happening but have never had the experience myself so wonder if, for the most part, it's an urban legend.

There was a time, not that long ago, when it was prohibitively expensive to buy a one way ticket but that seems to be a thing of the past. I've been looking for a fare myself, one way to China, and find that they are available at a sensible cost.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>so I'm wondering about booking a flight to England and leaving the return trip open. <<<

You will be expected to have a return ticket. You might not be allowed to depart without one.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Another option would be to book a round trip with your best guess of a return date. If you must change the date you'll pay a change fee and whatever the current difference is in price but you'll have the ticket you need to not worry about these issues. It may be worth it to you to not think about it.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

A travel agent told me it is easier to change the date of departure than the place of departure. My concern is that if I go round-trip to London, changing dates for a flight out could be a hassle as it could be right when the Olympics are on.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

PS. Thanks for your replies everyone.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 02:26 PM

"...could be a hassle as it could be right when the Olympics are on."

Then you'd have a perfect excuse to stay longer, poor you!
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may be questioned by immigration on arrival in the UK and possibly even not allowed to stay. They can be quite strict if they think you might stay and work and could ask for proof of funds and also proof you are going home again. Depends a bit on the immigration officer and your answers to the first questions they usually ask. You could take a letter from your company saying you are returning to your job and also proof of ample funds. It is a risk in my opinion.

The other thing is that one way tickets can sometimes cost a lot so check the price of two one-ways against a return. You would be paying in pounds or euros for your return.

Kay
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 03:42 PM

"...You would be paying in pounds or euros for your return."

Not necessarily. If you bought a return e-ticket online from a Canadian supplier using a Canadian credit card and your home address I don't know why you'd be charged in anything but your home currency.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
joannay, I hadn't thought of that. I suppose the computer doesn't know where you are! From past experience I know there are rules about international flights, depending on where your departure city is etc.

Kay
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

If there's a remote possibility of a hassle I'd rather avoid it, so that leaves me with getting a return ticket and leaving from London or somewhere else.
KayF, I'm retired or at least semi-retired so there is no letter from an employer. I would dearly <i>love</i> to stay longer, joannay, but it will depend on how long funds last. Maybe I should plan on longer and book the return ticket for after the Olympics.
Old Oct 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM

I think that's what I'd do, also a semi-retired traveler. Longer is always better and the rest takes care of itself.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 01:24 AM

I've never been asked to produce a return ticket by UK immigrstion but I know it does happen, particularly to young people. Wouldn't hurt to have something that indicates you can support yourself, have a job waiting, or just your first onward ticket from the UK, etc.

We just priced single vs return tickets as we're flying to the US in Feb and coming back by ship in March. A return premium economy on Virgin Atlantic was much cheaper than a one-way. We'll cancel the returns as a courtesy once we get to the States, we won't get refunds except possibly the tax, guess I should check that part.

The European low-cost airlines, flybe, Ryanair, easyjet and many more, all price by single journey. Be careful with baggage charges, taxes,charge for using a credit card, charge for early boarding, charges for blowing your nose and using the toilets. Only kidding about the last two, just.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 02:17 AM

joannay
Upon my first visit to NYC, about 25 years ago, the immigration officer asked me to show him a return ticket to my home country (Italy). That was the only time ever I have had a similar request.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 06:08 AM

Cathinjoetown - my only thought about canceling your return reservation is that, technically, if you cancel (or I suppose even if you don't) when you don't use that ticket you become liable for the more expensive 1 way fare, according to the rules although I'm not sure how the airline would enforce it. More research needed on that point. But the rule exists because it's an obvious way to get around their silly practice of not always offering fairly priced 1 way fares. I suggest you don't call them but instead "miss your flight" as they will sell the seat to those on standby if there are any at the time, so your intent is at least ambiguous.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 06:33 AM

When I was a youngster, 45 years ago on my first trip to Europe, I was held at the airport by British immigration for half a day or so for not having sufficient funds (in their estimation) and was finally released to the "custody" of an English friend who came to the airport to vouch for me. I suspect it wouldn't happen to someone of our dignified age now and in any case, as you say, robomit, I'm no longer asked.
Old Oct 18th, 2011, 06:37 AM

I have never heard of an airline trying to do what you suggest. As far as I'm concerned, I'm buying a round trip non refundable ticket and what I do with it is my business within the constraints of the ticket.

Technically, you MAY be correct but as I have never bothered to check the fine print, I can't dispute what you are saying. I have done this before and have cancelled the return because I like Virgin Airlines and want to let them re-sell the tickets if they can. BTW, the agent who sold me the ticket knew exactly what I was doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -