Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > One Type A's pre-trip nervous breakdown - Vogalonga and t-storms, oh my ...

One Type A's pre-trip nervous breakdown - Vogalonga and t-storms, oh my ...

May 6th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

One Type A's pre-trip nervous breakdown - Vogalonga and t-storms, oh my ...

I'm hoping that this is a pre-trip overreaction, but oh my goodness, I think the wheels are coming off the bus for our Italy trip ...

(1) JUST found out that the Vogalonga is scheduled for Sunday 5/11 ... the same day we take the train to Venice from Rome ... and all motorized boats are banned from entering Venice. I'm having nightmarish visions of hours and hours of backlogged tourists waiting to get on the vaporetti, because I can't for the life of me find out when they start running again (we arrive 2:15).

(2) When I researched historical weather patterns for the cities/days we planned to be in Italy this year, it was nothing but beautiful 70-75 degrees as far as the eye can see. Now? Accuweather is predicting massive countrywide thunderstorms on 5/13, the day we are to fly from Venice to Naples, taxi to the ferry dock in Naples, and catch a boat to Capri. I am having even more nightmarish visions of being stranded in Venice or Naples in a torrential thunderstorm with no where to sleep. The only alternative that I can think of - the train - has us leaving Mestre at 7 am and transfering in Rome, and that's not even touching the issue of the $$ we'd be out for the last minute change of plans.

I am FREAKING OUT OVER HERE. Anyone?
Please tell me that Italian planes regularly fly in all kinds of weather? That you had the same issue with the Vogalonga and had a genius resolution?

Help?
May 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM

AccuWeather "sucks", as the young people so brutally put it.

Unless we're in different universes, today is May 6.

So, can you persuade me that anyone knows what weather will be, one week hence on May 13?

For some reason, European forecasts stretch farther into the future -- it is much harder to find such long-term prognostications for NA.

The long-term European forecasts are ALWAYS wrong.

Still remember our Provence trip a few years ago, where the "experts" predicted 10 days of unceasing rain, thunder storms, record winds, low temperatures.

So I completely re-packed for the trip, brought heavy dark clothing, etc. None of this half-baked "layering" strategy -- I went for the full Autumn wardrobe.

The slight haze that clouded the runway cleared shortly after our arrival in Lyon airport.......

And thereafter: we had temperatures in the upper 20s and low 30s. Sun and cloudless skies day after day after day.

I wore the same damn T-shirts over and over again, washing them nightly.

Bottom line: Leave it for 5 days. Check again just before departure.

Seriously!
May 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ted ... you sound like my husband, actually

The kicker is that we leave May 8 from DC, so I only have another ~36 hours for Accuweather to predict what I'd like to see ...
May 6th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Relax and don't make yourself crazy on the weather. I just got back from my Rome trip and weather was supposed to be 78F and sunny when I left the day before. Real glad I left my umbrella back home and had on capris in the cold of 65F and on/off rain yesterday!
May 6th, 2008, 04:37 PM

I agree that the weather forecast sucks. I was going to Rome in Feb. and they said rain everyday. I went out and bought a really cute raincoat, paid dearly to have it altered same day...and really only wore it AT NIGHT, it was about 70degrees and clear every single day!

This year I went to Paris in Feb and had 65+ everyday, no rain....go figure.

As for the Vogalonga, I've gotta think that there will be an alternative into the city, the competition starts in the morning and you are not arriving until mid afternoon.

You've got to chill a bit, it's just pre trip jitters.

May 6th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I have been to Venice to watch vogalonga race twice, 2005 & 2006. It's held on whisun Sunday. I watch both the departure at San Marco around 8:00 - 9:00 and the returning boats on the canal of cannaregio from around 11:00/12:00. I'm not so sure since I don't remember well but when I called the Venice tourist office once for info, it seemed they said the vaporettos on the Grand Canal will be suspended something like between 8:00 and 15:00. On the other hand those going from Ferrovia (Railway station stop) & Piazzale Roma Giudecca counter clockwise seemed keep running with altered routes and timetable. Since I will already be in Venice from 10th of May, I will do without vaporettos during the day on 11th but I understand it would be a pain for those who will be arriving.

Where will you be staying? By 2:15, I suppose you mean 14:15? Then you might not need to wait too long (ok, it may be crowded). Where/which hotel do you have to go to? You may want to consider walking, even with your luggage and all the bridges. Or depending on your hotel location, do the counter clockwise route via Giudecca. I do it often the day I arrive at Santa Lucia and get to my hotels in Dorsoduro, San Marco and Castello. The boats on that route are often empty while those going down the Grand Canal is usually crowded. Also Giudecca route looks long but actually it's not much longer especially compared to slow No1 boat on the Grand Canal that makes every stop.
May 6th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Right, I'm working on the deep breaths bit ... I'm always fine once I'm en route, but right now is not good. I just wrote down the phone # for a slew of hotels near VCE and in Naples just in case we do get stranded. Can't seem to think of any other productive ideas at the moment.
May 6th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

kappa, you are such a help! We are staying at Al Ponte Antico, which is basically on the Rialto bridge. They recommended we take 82 from Santa Lucia. I haven't been to Venice in ~15 years, so I don't have a good sense of where/when I could grab an alternate route.
May 6th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Al Ponte Antico is the sister hotel of the other raved Locanda Orseolo, isn't it? I think I know its approximate location, before Rilato, isn't it? Then vaporetto route via Giudecca wouldn't help. IF (although I don't think the wait will be long), if catching a vaporetto is too hard, the route on foot will be pretty straight forward, on the Spagna street, then onto Strada Nova. Without or with just a small luggage, it would be about 15 min. walk. I can do that but I carry only a small carry-on size suite case... So your choice seems a vaporetto No1 or No2 (No.82 is now No.2 !) that I think you can take with a little wait OR walk. Good luck!
May 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM

> on the Spagna street, then onto Strada Nova ..

There are 2 middle size bridges + a few small bridges. I know it would be a pain when you carry luggage but it depends also how fit you are.

About vaporettos, why don't you write and ask your hotel? They seem very helpful and responsive. They might check and tell you what I said above is true or wrong.
May 6th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Kappa. Yes, Al Ponte Antico is the sister to Locanda Orselo - I do have an email in to them and they are lovely, but they do take ~48 hrs to respond (ish) ... so your directions are really helpful. My husband and I are in our 30's, fit, and pack light, so a 15 minute walk is totally feasible.

Thank you for all your help!!
May 6th, 2008, 06:57 PM

Just take a deep breath and repeat over and over ... "it's all part of the adventure, it's all part of the adventure ..."

Some of the most memorable trips I have taken were those that had last minute glitches.

You will be fine. Enjoy!
May 7th, 2008, 02:48 AM

> My husband and I are in our 30's, fit, and pack light, so a 15 minute walk is totally feasible.

Glad to know that. I'm a bit worrying type myself (try to check things as much as possible beforehand) but you will be alright, vaporetto or walk.

Search this Thread