One or 2 nights in Versailles?

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One or 2 nights in Versailles?

July in France. Want to stay overnight in Versailles.
Would a 2-night stay be too much to see the palace?

Thin,aristocrat 🦌
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We were in Paris for 3 weeks a couple of years ago, and visited the Palace twice. Once to see the fountains flowing "fully" (only on weekends, I think), and another time to visit the interior. For the interior visit, we got there when it opened (9am I believe), and took the private King's apartment tour, followed by the self-guided tour of the rest of the stuff. It was exhausting visiting the interior - mainly fighting the crowds (we were there in late Sept & early Oct).

On Sat (fountain tour) there was a huge line to get into the interior - I guess about a 2 hr "stand in line". However, the entrance to the gardens are elsewhere with no lines.

If I did it again - I would visit it on 2 different days. It is overwhelming & difficult to absorb and I'm pretty sure both my wife & I would be dragging if we tried to see it all at once.

Here is my wife's Shutterfly book from our visit. Click on "Full screen". Versailles starts on page 64
https://stududley.shutterfly.com/61

I would be interested to know how long the lines are with "social distancing". Please report back

Stu Dudley

Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 07:03 AM

Here's a link from our Pal:

https://francetravelplanner.com/go/p...lles_town.html

And another from a google search:

https://www.solosophie.com/an-altern...rsailles-town/

I hope you'll do a report, thin.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Two nights is one too many.
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 02:02 PM

I could have used two days. Last time we were there we could only see the garden as it was a Monday and the palace was closed, and I would have liked to see some of the town as well, which we did not really have time to do. We used the paddle boats on the lake and ate in the restaurant in the garden, as well as a long walk around the gardens. We would have taken a look around locally but we had friends who were also visiting Paris and we went off to see them in the evening on the first night (the night that France won the soccer, very exciting!). On the second night after our day in the garden we had to return the car and go to our airport hotel. If we had been able to go into the palace this time, obviously we would not have had the same time to walk around the gardens. You might not be as interested in the gardens, but we were travelling with three children between us who needed to burn energy.

I can highly recommend Hotel Le Versailles. It's really close to the palace and has its own parking. It is a little pricey but I would definitely stay there again.

Lavandula
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you. We will stay two days. We want to see everything and not be rushed. We have not been to Europe in almost two years because of COVID-19.

Thin, aristocrat 🦌
Old Jun 3rd, 2021, 08:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
You can stay in the new hotel on the grounds of Versailles for about 1700 euros/night.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/l...les/index.html
Old Jun 4th, 2021, 07:11 PM

We had a lovely two night stay at the Hotel Versailles Residence du Berry a few years ago in July when we attended a midnight masquerade ball. We booked L'appartement because we had a niece with us. It is a smallish but quite lovely place, well located and reasonably priced. Breakfast was lovely, too. Easy 10-15 minute walk to the palace entrance.
Old Jun 8th, 2021, 05:27 PM

We booked on a day when the Musical Fountains were on; it was a welcome respite from the sea of humanity inside the palace. I preferred the Grand Trianon to the palace. In the gardens no one realized they were not allowed on the grass and there was a guard of sorts running around blowing a whistle any time someone dared to tread on it. Two full days there would have been lovely.

Old Jun 14th, 2021, 06:27 PM

It's very pretty. Four hours.
Okayyyy, five.

~Roberta