One night Nuremberg at Christmas??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi fellow travellers, after finally deciding to do the White Christmas this year we have booked one week in beautiful Berchtesgaden from the 20th December.

However, due to a change in Qantas scheduling and better connections, we will now arrive into Frankfurt at 0520 on the 19th of December.

Would train to Nuremberg and an overnight stay be a reasonable use of this night do you think? I am attracted to the Christmas market reputation that Nuremberg has but also concerned about how we will be feeling after the long haul from Oz. The hotel that I contacted have said there is every possibility that we could be given the first room available at around 1030 (after I had enquired what rate they would charge us for the night before so that we could check in on arrival) which I think is very decent of them.

The other option is to head straight to Berchtesgaden but I had been leaning toward a day trip (lengthy I know) to Nuremberg from there anyway.
At this stage we will travelling by train, trying to minimise time driving in what will be very unfamiliar (potentially snowy) territory for us although we may be brave for a few days from Berchtesgaden if necessary but not on arrival!

The other option I considered was Rothenberg but this does not seem to be as easy to do by train as Nuremberg?

Any thoughts would be very welcome, thank you.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 06:10 AM

A stopover in Nuremberg sounds like a very good idea in your case. You have direct trains from Frankfurt Airport, and if you book a hotel near the central station you won't have long walks with luggage, and the walk to the Christmas market and around the city centre is also easy. Nürnberg is one of the most famous Christmas markets with a lot of local tradition. It is the middle of the week, so the crowds will be bearable. I'd say, book that hotel and go for it.
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks quokka, sounding like a plan!
Old Feb 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM

Go for it! As quokka said 'since it is midweek' that will be a great time to be there and it is the Granddaddy of all Christmas markets. You can nap in the afternoon and be there after dark. You will love it. I'm jealous. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 01:09 PM

Nürnberg is also a very nice city. Within walking distance of the Christmas market are three medieval churches (partially rebuilt after WWII bombing) that are a marvel to me. The old city makes a great setting for a Christmas market. Our pictures:

http://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-...5027155_Sbmj4v

Regards, Gary
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 06:53 PM

Nuremburg has a great Christmas Market, Albrect Drurer's house and wonderful sausages that are sold in threes. Another option would be to fly into !unich and spend a night there. They have lots to offer including huge Christmas Markets.
Old Mar 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM

Nuremburg is the only Christmas market I've visited, and it was super. The sausages...yum!
Old Mar 3rd, 2012, 01:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys and Gary your photos were great! Think we've made the decision, have booked Hotel Drei Raben who have been wonderful to deal with and have ordered snow!
Looking forward to the sausages!