Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One Night in Zurich (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-night-in-zurich-1091849/)

Marianna Mar 30th, 2016 02:05 PM

One Night in Zurich

We will have one night in Zurich at the end of our visit to the Lucerne area.
If you have been to Zurich and are familiar with these two hotels, which would you recommend?

We are considering the Hotel Helmhaus and the Hotel St. Josef. We would like to be in the Old Town for this last stop before we depart to other destinations in other countries.

Thanks for any suggestions you have to share.

Dukey1 Mar 30th, 2016 02:58 PM

Old Town is pretty easy to reach either on foot or public transport from lots of Zurich hotels. We'll be in twon for two nights at the opera this summer. We've been before, stayed in several different locations, and I finally used Booking.com to compare prices, amenities, and locations.

Have not stayed in either of the referenced hotels but am sure others who have will comment so topping this for you.

Marianna Mar 30th, 2016 03:35 PM

Thanks, Dukey1.

We (husband and I and son and his wife) are hoping to end our stay with a nice hotel (both seem very nice) for this night in Zurich before we all depart for our other different destinations. I will look into Booking.com as well.

Dukey1 Mar 30th, 2016 03:47 PM

Get ready for somebody to tell you you should spend you last night in Luzern because

Zurich is "mainly a business city" (which is laughable IMO)

It's easy to take the train from Luzern to the Zurich airport

It's easy to take the train to Zurich itself

Nothing in Zurich is nearly as interesting as the things in Luzern

Luzern is prettier

Luzern is more picturesque

Luzern has those fab (however totally reconstructed) bridges

The Luzern swans are friendly, and on, and on, and on.

Stick to your plans!

kja Mar 30th, 2016 05:31 PM

I don't know the Helmhaus, but found the Hotel St. Josef extremely well suited to my needs. It is very convenient to Zurich's Old Town, which is, IMO, seriously underrated. Time of year might be a consideration, though -- IIFC, the St. Josef didn't have air-conditioning, so if you are there in summer, that might be a consideration....

travelgourmet Mar 30th, 2016 08:42 PM

<i>Get ready for somebody to tell you you should spend you last night in Luzern because</i>

All the things you listed are true. Zurich is largely unappealing. I would not switch hotels if the only reason was to add another city to the notches on the belt.

As to the question... Hotel Helmhaus is in a much better location if the intent is to experience Zurich's historic section.

kja Mar 30th, 2016 09:04 PM

Interesting comment, travelgourmet -- I would think the St. Josef better situated for visiting Zurich's Old Town than the Hotel Helmhaus. To each his / her own!

And as already noted, I did not find Zurich "largely unappealing" -- nor did I go there to add a "notch on the belt." I spent time in Zurich because I had a genuine interest in seeing its treasures, and I am very, very glad that I did!