Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night in Salzburg from Vienna--is it worth it?

Feb 9th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

First, thanks to all who've posted on my other messages regarding my upcoming Vienna trip.
Summary: I have 11 days in Austria at the end of Feb/beginning of March. First 7.5 days are vacation, last 3.5 days are business. I have a room booked at Le Meridien...but at the end of the leisure portion I have one "bridge" day...I can check out of the Meridien and go over to the hotel assigned for the convention OR...I could take an early morning train to Salzburg, spend a night there, catch a morning train back and get to work.
I have been to Salzburg before, in the summer, on a day trip, so spending a lot of time on the train for a short trip doesn't bother me. Also, after living in mostly flat Belgium and now in the mostly flat UK (at least the part where we're living), I need a mountain fix! I want to get out and look at those Alps and breathe mountain air. (Also, this is not my first trip to Vienna, it's my 10th in 4 years, although there's still a lot I want to see, I really love the city.)
I can get a room at the Radisson Salzburg for 99 euros, including taxes and breakfast. Any thoughts on that hotel? Also has anybody eaten at the Blaue Gans in Salzburg?
Opinions/advice welcome. Thanks.
Feb 9th, 2005, 08:09 AM

I'd go for it, BTilke.

I found my 2-night side trip to Salzburg during a stay in Vienna to be more than worth the time to get there. The route from Vienna via Linz to Salzburg goes through some rolling, slightly hilly country, lots of farms and meadows, until the very end, when a view of the Alps to the south and the east appears like something in a dream.

In Salzburg, I thought the most dramatic view of the mountains was from the ramparts and watch tower of the fortress. On my way back to Vienna, I took a long-ish detour so I could go through the Semmering Pass, but I don't think you would have the time for that on this trip.
Feb 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I've been a frequent day-tripper out of Vienna to many locations. Since I consider a daytrip to Salzburg from Vienna well worth it, certainly a night spent there would be even better.
And on the return trip, I'd suggest a stop for a few hours at the Melk Abbey if you've never seen it up close. The Abbey is easily visible from the train compartment window as you approach Melk(on the left side if headed in the direction of Vienna).
Feb 10th, 2005, 08:00 AM

I ate at Blaue Gans last summer, and was underwhelmed, but then, I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the meals I had in Salzburg . . .We ate much better in small towns farther south, which you won't get to.
Feb 10th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. It looks like an overnight is out, as I have to move to the conference hotel immediately after checking out of the Meridien (the convention hotel room is prepaid).
So now I'm thinking of doing a day trip to Graz via the Semmering Pass. I've been to Graz before (the year before it was a Capital of Culture city so much of it was under scaffolding being spruced up) when we spent our summer vacation in Styria, about an hour north of Graz..At that time, we drove down from Seckau/Knittelfeld. How is the train ride from Vienna to Graz? Good mountain scenery along the way? Any restaurant recs for Graz? Good Steiermarck cuisine preferred. Pumpkin oil, local wine or beer (although our fav Austrian beer is from Murau), etc..
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Hi BTilke,
Although I transferred to a train in a town slightly to the north of Graz, I recall that the scenery going through the Pass was astounding. I kept thinking that I'd like to come back in winter and see even more snow and snow-capped mountains (from the comfort of a nice warm dining car, of course). All around me were people who had obviously done this trip many times or were regular "commuters". I think they were amused, in a nice way, at the foreign lady with her nose pressed up against the window saying wow, oh wow!

I don't know if ancient armour and weapons are your thing, but apparently one of the world's best museums on that subject is in Graz.