One night in Milan or head out immediately for Cinque Terre

Notices

Old May 5th, 2004, 03:13 AM
efg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and I will be flying mid-day into Milan via Easy Jet from Paris and had planned to stay the night in Milan and then take train to Cinque Terre area. After reading posts on Milan, I'm wondering if we should plan to head out that same day? Also, any budget hotel suggestions in Milan or perhaps neat places to stay enroute to Cinque Terre... Thank you for your wonderful help - my husband teases me because I'm so hooked on Fodors.com and all your wonderful threads!
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Don't write off Milan completely; there are things to see and do there worth at least one night. I've put some links and tips on http://www.straughan.com/italy/milano.htm and listed some restaurants on http://www.straughan.com/italy/restaurants.htm

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:28 AM

We flew into Milan and stayed at the Casa Mia B&B for 1 night. Its about a 10 minute walk from the train station. The breakfast was very good. The room was tiny and the price was reasonable, although I can't remember how much we paid. We spent the afternoon wandering around Milan - saw the Duomo, the Galleria, passed by La Scala, had a light supper and went to bed. We took a train to Manarola the next morning and stayed at Casa Capellini for 4 nights.
Old May 5th, 2004, 05:02 AM
DRJ

I would agree that Milan is an unfairly denegrated city that deserves better press. Having said that, an option that I have taken is to bus from Malpensa to Genoa Central Station and train down the coast to CT. I guess the Malpensa website would have the bus schedule (maybe).
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:02 PM

If you plan to see the Last supper - I recommend getting tickets in advance. We were only there one day and did get tickets in advance...thank god because they were sold out when we where there and they turned people away. FYI..
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:36 AM

Hi

I think that you should take the time to at least check out the Duomo. It is an impressive building and it is amazing both inside and outside. I recommend that you go to the rooftop terrace and check out the view from there And as mnetioned already...if you want to see the Last Supper you have to call in advance to book tickets. My wife and I went to Milan in June last year. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:55 AM

I agree that the Duomo is a wonderful place to visit. The rooftop was especially memorable. We did not stay at a budget hotel, but got a very good deal at the Hotel Andreola through venere.com.
Whether or not you decdide to spend one night in Milan, I'm sure you will have a great time. The Cinque Terre area is so beautiful. Good Luck.
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM

DO one evening/night in Milan. WOrth it. Rest and train out early to 5 terre. We stayed right near the Duomo &and a metro stop at Hotel Speronari, budget hotel, clean,large room, 88 euro for the 2 of us with private bath. Lots of stairs but thats Italy for ya! it'll help you get ready for Cinqueterre!
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:13 PM

We spent the first and last nights of an Italy trip in Milan and enjoyed it. The Duomo is spectacular; do as previous poster peggy-bauer suggested and go to the rooftop. Then wander around the Galleria and the Piazza Duomo. Look for the mosiac of a bull on the floor of the Galleria; legend has it if you spin on your heels on the bull's testicles you will have luck! (or maybe you will return to Italy, but whatever, it is fun to do!)

Also, the Brera and the Navigli (canal) neighborhoods were interesting to wander in. There is a great antique/flea market on one Sunday a month along the sides of the canal. We did this in the morning and then caught an afternoon train to Santa Margherita for a night on the way to the Cinque Terre area.

We stayed in the hotel Zurigo; about 15 minutes walk to the Duomo through a business-type neighborhood (quiet on the weekend and at night), or there is a nearby metro stop. I'd stay there again but had a bad experience at another hotel in their "group" -- the Ariston.

I've read a lot of negative things about Milan on this site, but I think it is interesting for a day or two.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:01 PM

I always fly into Milan before heading out to the CT. The entire trip to the CT takes about 5 or 6 hours - dependent on your trains. The route I usually take leaves Milano Centrale station and stops in Genoa, then again in Sestri Levante, then finally your CT town. If you are arriving ~ 12 noon, it is entirely feasible to get to the CT by 7 pm or so. I have stayed overnight in Milan when I had an early flight out, I found it best to stay close to the Milano centrale train station, then hop on the Malpensa shuttle bus (leaves every hour outside the train station) for the 50 minute ride out to the airport.
Old May 8th, 2004, 12:51 AM

I have to agree with everyone else. Milan might not have the sights of Venice or Rome, but it does have it's beauties.
I agree with the idea of the rooftop of Duomo, but if you want to get a good look, try something else. Or in addition to...
Go to the top of the dept. store "La Rinacente" and eat outside on the terrace which looks out onto the Duomo rooftop. It's very cool to look at and adds to lunch conversation.
Brera is a nice area too, and worth a visit. The city is manageable on foot, or with public transportation.
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:10 AM

On top of all the other stuff, go to the Brera museum, which is terrific and hides its light under a bushel
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Just back from Milan and really enjoyed it! THe only downside was the awful weather! The Duomo and La Scala were also covered in scaffolding, which I am sure is necessary but was disappointing. We stayed near the centrale station in a clean hotel, Hotel Demo. Only downside was the road noise.
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:26 AM

We'll be doing the opposite....driving up from the Cinque Terre and spending our last night in/near Milan. Are there any recommended hotels which have car parking and close vicinity to the Duomo.
Old May 9th, 2004, 05:36 AM

I just picked up the latest (actually 2003) Eyewitness guide to Milan and the Lakes and they have a nice map of parking lots in central Milan (page 211). The book advises not trying to drive in town, but if you're feeling lucky, go for it.
I work for a Milan-based company, so am down there from time to time. Although I don't think I'd want to live there (I'd rather live in Como and commute by train, as many of my Italian colleagues do), I think it's worth a visit.
Old May 10th, 2004, 05:24 PM
efg
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions. We've decided to stay in Milan for the night - the next dilemna is whether to stay near the train station at a nice but less expensive hotel, which would be handy for boarding train for Cinque Terre in the morning ... or near the Duomo, which seems more scenic but is far more expensive. Hope to also see the Last Supper during our limited time. All suggestions are much appreciated!
Old May 11th, 2004, 06:51 AM

I'd stay near the train station. There is a nice Hilton there that would make you and your daughter feel safe and secure. From the train station, you can take the metro to the center of the city. You can get off at Duomo or San Babila (and then walk along all the shops which is part of the experience), and walk the rest of the way to Duomo.
If the Hilton doesn't have a good price, there are lots of smaller hotels in the area to choose from.
The train station is not a great place to hang out at in the evening, but the sun doesn't set till 9pm and if you're out after that, I'd just get a taxi back to the hotel.Not that it's dangerous, but it's better to be safe.
See you soon in the city!
Melissa