Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One night in Frankfurt before flying home or is there an interesting small town not too far from the airport?

Search

One night in Frankfurt before flying home or is there an interesting small town not too far from the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We fly from Vienna to Frankfurt, arriving at 6:30 pm. Our flight leaves the next day at 1 pm. I can't decide if we should just stay at an airport hotel - most of which seem to be in an industrial area with not sights or restaurants, or take the train into Frankfurt for the night for a brief look around old town and a night at a hotel there. Or perhaps there is a town near Frankfurt that would be a pleasant, but not too tiring, way to end our trip. If anyone knows it will be someone on this board! I'm open to any and all suggestions, either regarding what to do with our short time or any hotel recommendations. Many thanks in advance. ps this is my last reservation to make.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:05 PM

Würzburg has very nice small altstadt and it is only 1.5 hours by ICE from the Frankfurt airport.

Regards, Gary
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:06 PM

Mainz is always suggested, but I'm not sure how it fits in vis a vis travel from Vienna.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Wiebaden is close by. Nice pedestrian zone, inexpensive hotels and a hot-spring spa.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:54 AM

That would be "Wiesbaden", of course.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:08 AM

I don't have a town to suggest, but, if you have some spare time, there is a rather moving Holocaust Memorial trail in a wooded area on the south edge of the airport--on the northern edge of the town of Walldorf. The entrance is near the intersection of Farmstrasse and Nordendstrasse.

http://www.moerfelden-walldorf.de/le...ussenlager.asp

http://www.kz-walldorf.de/
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I agree Würzburg, Weisbaden and Mainz are all pleasant, nearby and a good place to end your trip.

You may also want to consider just staying in Frankfurt. Check out "destinations" to see if it offers something you'd be interested in.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Pinchme_iam_dreaming

I agree with going to Wurzburg. We went from Wurzburg to Frankfurt on the train for our flight out. Frankfurt is not a very entertaining city we felt. The old town is nothing more then a few restored building in a square that take at best 2 hours to see. Wurzburg is a beautiful little city with great restaurants and cool things to see. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there.

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Wurzburg is too far for just a few hours.

Mainz or Weisbaden seems to be the logical choices.

Depending on what you enjoy, there is plenty to do just wandering around Frankfurt.

However, how about Heidelberg? How about any of the towns along the Rhine?

It seems that you have a few hours in the evening to get out and see some additional sights. It might be too little time to do very much of anything.

Have fun!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:31 AM

We spent several hours in Frankfurt near the Hauptwache visiting churches and having a meal during a long layover. It is only 5 stops from the airport on the Metro to get downtown.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Heidelberg cannot be reached without changing trains in either Frankfurt main station or Mannheim, so I'd cut that out since it's such a short stay and they'll be laden with luggage.

Würzburg can be reached on direct trains, which is an advantage. It's a bit of a train ride, though.

Anyway, I'd still suggest either Mainz or Wiesbaden (not "Weisbaden", please...) - these are the two easiest options, and both are worth a visit.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions - I'm about to check some of the websites now. I knew I'd get good advice here! Many thanks!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Wiesbaden is a charming little city and only a train ride away from the airport.

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:24 AM

another vote for Mainz. Not a small town but a city right on the S-bahn line with a pleasant Altstadt and famous Romanesque cathedral, Chagall stained glass windows in another church, Gutenberg museum, etc.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Sorry guys, what is for you a small city? Wuerzburg has much more than 100000 inhibitants and Mainz and Wiesbaden more as 200000 each.
If you are looking for a small place nearby I would consider Koenigstein or Bad Homburg. Easy to reach by S-Bahn (commuter train) and very pleasant.
Better check out their websites too.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM

I'd pass staying in Frankfurt itself. A few suggestions:

If you're an early riser, try Auf Schonburg in Oberwesel - we've stayed here before a flight, but you'll need to get up early to enjoy

Schlosshotel Kronberg in Kronberg im Taunus - this is our usual standby place that we stay at before leaving Frankfurt.

Hotel Krone in Assmannhausen - sleep near the vineyards, although if you have a room facing the Rhine, you can hear the river and the trains
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:26 AM

You have little time to sightsee with the time that you have considering collecting your luggage and getting out of the airport as well as when you have to arrive for your fliht the next day. There is little more time than for dinner and breakfast the next day.

I have been in a simialr situation several times but most often with a little more time. Once we went into Frankfurt and that was fine. It is a big city and there is enough to see for the few hours that you have. Ther is also more that is open late than smaller cities nearby. We also once stayed in Wiesbaden, a place that we enjoyed and once stayed over in Offenbach- a small city that is reachable from the airport by train or a short taxi ride (about 15 minutes). Offenbach is small, and pleasant - a good place for a stroll but there is not a whole lot in the way of tourist attractions.

Considering the time factor, IMO Frankfurt is your best bet.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the suggestions - more research to do! I've been away for a bit which means no internet so now I have to get busy again. What can be better than travel research? (well, the actual travel, I guess!)