Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One more week! Moving overseas (Dublin) for the summer - am I overlooking anything?

Search

One more week! Moving overseas (Dublin) for the summer - am I overlooking anything?

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In one week I'll be moving from Tennessee to Dublin, Ireland for almost 3 months with my husband and 7-month old son. We'll be living in a (what seems to be very upscale) furnished apartment in Ballsbridge.

I guess I'm looking for any and all suggestions - especially from others who have lived abroad before.

Any tips? Specific things I should bring besides the obvious (clothing/toiletries/baby items)? I'm moving with an infant here so I'm trying to think of everything.

Thanks for any helpful tips, suggestions, comments.

Hopefully I won't regret this adventurous decision
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM

My family moved to the UK for a year in 1996.
I was only 16 at the time, so had a hard time fitting in because of the classic teenage-agnst.

But, we had some fantastic opportunities to travel - going to more countries in a few weeks, than you would think possible. We drove all over Europe in our British wrong-hand drive car, with my parents throwing baguettes and stinky cheeses into the back.

Looking back, it was a great experience for us as a family - and we definetly dont regret it one tiny bit. Though at the time, I was very homesick.

You'll have a great time. Be sure to take every opportunity to travel around, see the sights, and get to know the community you live in.
One of our best memories from the UK - is all of us as a family sitting in the local pub for Christmas eve. Talking with the locals - who were delighted to have us there. And the bartender giving out Christmas Crackers to everyone.

As for what to bring,
a good attitude, a sense of curiosity & adventure, determination to be as un-homesick as possible, and a good camera & videocamera (some of our videos are a hoot).
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:28 PM

Stevie you sound like a great guy.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Some of this site may help.
http://tinyurl.com/2jj8zw

Dublin is rather civilized and they speak more or less like you. You shouldn't have any serious problems.

steviegene has a lot of valuable insight. Do travel as much as you can and take photos and videos and keep a log book. This time will never come again.

Old May 24th, 2007, 04:43 AM

I second the diary/log book idea. Its nice to have a record of where you visited, things you did, and details about the town you live in. You'll be amazed how much you forget as time passes.

barbarajo, thanks for the compliment!
but im actually of the female persuasion...
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:09 AM

Just bring lots of money. Dublin is quite expensive now!
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:10 AM

And don't forget to bring the baby!
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:53 AM
clz

Just enjoy it! Make a list of everything you'd like to do and DO IT. The time will fly. Take cheap weekend flights. Go for drives in the countryside. Explore your town. Take lots of pictures and write it all down.

One bit of practical advice... the amount of daylight will be a big change and might totally screw with your baby's sleep habits. Think blackout shades!
Old May 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM

One other thought on the diary - it will be especially enjoyable by your son when he's old enough to read (so he can recall what he did at 7 mo old).
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it IS quite expensive, sigh. I think what we are paying monthly on an apartment there is more than our mortgage LOL!

You're right - I should make a list of things I want to do and stick to it. Good idea. And log everything so we can reflect back on it later.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM

LOL sorry stevie I shouldnt have assumed, anyway you are still a person with a lot of insight !!