Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One more try-Hotel Krone, Sarnen, Switzerland, Anyone been there?

Mar 24th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Jeri

Just curious and wonder what the facility is like and how friendly the staff is?

Mar 24th, 2002, 10:05 PM
chris

I haven't acutally stayed at the hotel, but I live not too far away. Before I would recommend you stay in Sarnen (not a very charming town) I would need to know exactly what your plans are in Switzerland. I think you could probably find much better location.

I saw from your other post you thought it would be central-from that I gather you want to visit, Luzern and the Interlaken/Jungfrau Region. How many days? Will you have a car? If you'll be relying on public transport then I think you should consider staying in Meiringen or Hergiswil.

Mar 26th, 2002, 02:03 PM
jeri

We are traveling up from the Italian Riveria and we will be driving. Thanks so much for the reply, we are flexible, what would you suggest? Yes we would like to visit Interlaken and Luzern, we only have 2 days and nights. Are you familiar with Pension Alpenblich in Hasliberg-Reuti? Would that be a better location?

Mar 26th, 2002, 10:20 PM
chris

Again, I haven't stayed in the Pension in Hasliberg, but the views from Hasliberg-Reuti are divine! I was just there on Sunday snowboarding. It is "on" Bruenig Pass (turn left when you get to the top). You can drive to the Jungfrau Region (Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald) in less than an hour and to Luzern in just about an hour. For things to do I would recommend you go to Luzern one day with a ferry ride on the lake-I always recommend to my visitors to take the ferry to Stanstad (1hr) and train back to Luzern (15 min.) (perhaps if it's early enough you could do Luzern on your way up from Italy if you'll be driving through Milan? the most time in Luzern you really need is about 3-4 hours), and spend the second day at Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald doing one of the mountain excursions from there (Wengen/Jungfraujoch, First, Muerren/Schilthorn). If you have time strongly suggest you do the Brienzer Rothornbahn not too far from Hasliberg. And as you might know already-Hasliberg-Reuti is connected to Meiringen by cable car-which is definitely worth a visit. Of course, you must be flexible if the weather turns out to be not so brillant.

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:23 PM
jeri

Chris, thank you for your help. We will do the lake trip and return via train as per your suggestion. I still don't know where to stay, I do want beautiful views and I don't want to stay in a city, but I want to be closer to Luzern than an hour. Do you know of any bed and breakfasts or guesthouses closer to Luzern? I am still a little confused about our route. I think we will take A-2 to Luzern and then A-8 to Meringen. Doubt we will do Luzern that day, maybe the second. I wanted to see Interlaken. Which city would you suggest. I think 2 nights is not enough, but at least we'll get a small taste of your country. You were right coming up from Milan, I thought we would pass through Interlaken first, but my husband, the navigator just set me straight. Any more advice?

Mar 30th, 2002, 08:37 AM
jeri

Chris,
Where do we get the ferry to Stanstad?
Thanks Jeri

Mar 30th, 2002, 01:47 PM
jeri

Chris, If you have time read my last two entries and continue our conversation... Did you snowboard today. Happy Easter if you celebrate that.

Mar 31st, 2002, 05:34 AM
jw

Hello again Jeri, this is your thread as well. If you have not found it already, there is a site called bnb.ch which lists a lot of small places. Maybe you'll want to take a look. But Chris makes HR sound terrific, and is an hour really so long when you're driving through beautiful scenery? J.

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:32 AM
Ingo

There is another good website for small, familiar and cosy hotels: www.rooms.ch

Ingo

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:59 AM
jeri

Thanks JW & Ingo. I have tried and will continue to search those two websites. I agree that if the area is beautiful it won't be a hassle, but I am still setting up our itinery and I think we will be driving that route back and forth because we want to sightsee in opposite directions. Don't want to be in the car when we can be outside. I will try google again for
B & B ideas using different terms like "E & G" rooms? I'll see what happens. Any other info greatly appreciated. We only have two days and want to make the most of it.

Apr 1st, 2002, 07:50 AM
ingo

I had a look at Pension Alpenblick’s website in Hasliberg-Reuti. I guess it is pretty good . www.Pension-molki.ch

In my opinion Hasliberg is not too far off the beaten track. For example there is a fascinating trip by bus from Meiringen via Schwarzwaldalp and Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald. From there take the gondola to Mannlichen. From there you have two choices: Go by cable car directly to Wengen or hike to Kleine Scheidegg (1:30 h) and take the train via Wengen to Lauterbrunnen. From there back to Meiringen by train via Interlaken-Ost.

If you are looking for a bnb or Pension near Lucerne you should have a look at the villages around Lake Lucerne.
www.weggis.ch
www.hergiswil.ch

Ingo

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:50 PM
jeri

Ingo & JW thanks for the help, we will stay in Luzern just booked a pension room. Will chat again for specifics about dining?