one more day in Paris or Spain????

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one more day in Paris or Spain????

My husband and I are torn as to what to do (isn’t it nice to forget about the big problems in life and major in the minor things once in a while?) so we are going to throw it to the experts here on the boards and go with the decision that gets the most votes. Scenario: We will be flying into Paris with the extended family on December 15 and going straight up to Normandy to tour before heading back to Paris for 4 days over Christmas. On the 26th my husband and I will fly to Madrid and spend 7 days in Seville/Cordoba before heading back to Paris to get our flight home. Since our flight back to US leaves at 10:00 am from CDG, we have to fly back the night before. Here is the conundrum: If you had the choice, would you take the 8:00 a.m. flight so you could have a day and night in Paris (without the family!!!) to shop and have a romantic dinner for anniversary and stay at a nice hotel in the city (we were married in Paris last Christmas) or would you take the last flight from Madrid at night to have another day in Spain but have to stay at Sheraton at CDG due to 10:30 pm arrival. We are torn and will go with whatever gets the most votes.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM

I love both places (we're going to both for our 25th anniversary!), but the part that got me was the idea of spending time together WITHOUT the family, so I would vote for option 1 on that alone. (However, I wouldn't want to spend anytime in Europe--or anyplace else for that matter--with the extended family, so my POV is very tainted by this.)
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:56 PM

I don't know why you didn't have your travel agent arrange for you to fly back from Sevilla (via Madrid) instead of having to waste another good day traveling (backtracking) from Sevilla to Paris.

All that said, I'd go with spending the last night in Paris to break up what will be one long day in the airport and heading back home. At least you should be able to enjoy your last night.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:02 PM

Sounds to me like you want to go to Paris. And I don't blame you. Have a lovey dinner!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM
tod

No contest - Paris get my vote!
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 08:27 PM

I would definitely choose to stay in Paris.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:22 AM
ira

Hi als,

Definitely Plan A.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:13 AM

I'll go along with Robert2533's first suggestion: Have you given any thought to open-jaw (i.e., home from Madrid)?? I suggest this not just so you avoid backtracking but because the weather the first week of January might get in the way of your plans.

It shouldn't be much of a problem finding TransAtlantic carriers that are 'Star Alliance Partners' or that code-share (Air France & Continental?)
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 03:21 AM

Another Spanish fan voting for a night in Paris.

Seven days in Sevilla/Cordoba seem plenty to me. I would even consider sacrificing another day and spend TWO nights in Paris

On the other hand, a night in Granada, overlooking the Alhambra, is something to consider.

The four initial days in Paris will be over the Xmas holiday and hours of opearations might be limited in many establishments. The extra day would give you some flexibility.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:28 AM

Exactly which day would you be either staying in Spain or flying to Paris? Is it a Sunday or a statutory holiday? (Note: January 2 is a normal work day in France.) If it is a Sunday or a statutory holiday, then don't bother coming to Paris because almost nothing will be open.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:31 AM

Maybe almost all stores and some restaurants may be closed, but Paris is not shut down totally on Sunday and holidays.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:04 AM

francophile:

Your point is valid as a general proposition (I live in Paris and do know that not everything shuts down on Sundays and holidays). However, als0107 said that the reason for going to Paris was to "shop and have a romantic dinner for [our] anniversary". If all or most of the shops and restaurants are closed, and there is a greater likelihood of more places being shut on a Sunday (e.g. the shops in the Marais quartier that are usually open on Sundays) if the Sunday in question is adjacent to a major holiday like Jan 1, then two of the stated objectives for their visit would be frustrated. Their time and money might be better spent elsewhere.
Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Looks like Paris wins!!(I wasn't too transparent with which way I was leaning was I? ;-) Thank you all for your votes!
Robert2533 I agree that in a perfect world we would have booked it that way, but the round trip LAX-CDG was a gift from my parents so we could go with the family on the NOrmandy/Paris at Christmas leg of the trip with the whole family and it is unchangeable w/o fees that cost more than the add on Madrid flight. We just wanted to add on something at the end.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this itinerary in Spain? (NOte: we are trying to maximize use of Starwood properties since we have tons of points and the rooms are free in Seville and Madrid)

12/26 Arrive Madrid Barajas 9:15 a.m.
AVE to Seville
Spend nights of 12/26,27,28 in Seville
12/29 Depart for Granada
12/30 ???
12/31,1/1 Madrid
1/2 Depart for CDG

My husband loves to drive (and I can't be lifting bags on and off a train right now) so we are going to rent a car for some or all of this trip.
Any thoughts? Ideas when and where to rent?