COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One More day in Dordogne area -- what to do?

Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

My mom and I have one more day in the Dordogne area and are not sure where to put our priorities or what we want to do. We would LOVE some suggestions -- if you only had one day left in the area, where would you go?

What we have already visited:
Domme
La Roque Gagnac
Font de Gaume
Sarlat -- a little

I'm not terribly interested in Castelnaud --was a little interested in a Canoe trip though I'm not sure they rent them out right now. I heard the gardens at Marqueyssac were beautiful, but I'm not sure we want to drive 45 minutes for them.

Would love to hear your thoughts -- you have definitely steered me right in the past (oh how glad I am I did not try to do the alps, barcelona, paris, the riveria.....in one trip -- THANK YOU for saving me!!)
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Beynac and its wonderful castle.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM

One thing we did last summer was take the tour of the Chateau Milandes where Josephine Baker lived. It was very interesting because of who she was and here story-they also have a fascinating show of falconry. All in all it was much more interesting than we thought it would be:

http://www.milandes.com/

Tel: 05 53 59 31 21
Fax: 05 53 29 17 33
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Well, not knowing where you're staying or what exactly your interests are, we loved visiting Chateau des Milandes. Also the cloister at Cadouin. Monpazier? Martel? Beynac? A boat ride if they're not letting canoes yet?

I did enjoy Castelnaud. We ran put of time before we ran out of things to do. We also drove over to Rocamadour and stopped at Carennac and some other places on the way home. That was a long--and great--day.

Have fun.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:15 PM
blh

I would agree that Chateau Milandes is very interesting. You would need to check their schedule on the website. We also enjoyed the gardens at Marqueyssac. I would think you would have time to do both as they are not far apart. If the boats are running, that is also a fun thing to do. It only takes about an hour. http://www.gabarres.com/us/gabare-boat-trip.htm

We also enjoyed the castle at Hautefort which is in another direction.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 02:45 PM

I also would vote for Beynac and the castle. Beautiful setting! We did the boat ride at the water's edge that was also nice and relaxing.
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone -- I completely forgot about the Josephine Baker chateau and Beynac sounds wonderful. I'll go research now I'm so glad I came here -- I really love this area!
Old Mar 29th, 2009, 07:30 PM

While others are less taken by it, I like the cave at Rouffignac, and if you're lucky, you will have a guide whose English is very good.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:49 AM

I'm a little confused. You say that you're staying in the Dordogne, but 45 mins frm Marqueyssac. You must be staying up north near Brantome, west of Bergerac, or you're really not staying in the Dordgone at all. If so, Rocamadour, Carennac, Martel, etc could be quite far away.

You stated that you had already visited Roque Gageac, Domme, Fond du Game, & Sarlat. Is that "had" like on a previous visit, or you will have visited them prior to your "one more day"?

If the sites you've already visited just includes this list - then there are probably 30 other "things" that you could visit in the Dordogne & surrounds. How about Lascaux, Padirac, Ch Hautefort, Perigueux, market in Le Bugue or market in St Cyprien, St Cirq Lapopie, Pech Merle, Cahors, Figeac, Collonges la Rouge, Turenne, Belves, Gardens near Salignac Eyviques, Limeuil, boat trip on the Dordogne, small/cute villages etc, etc, etc in addition to the wonderful sites others have suggested?

Where are you staying and what will you have already visited prior to this extra day?

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:25 AM

Stu pretty much has it covered, though I'd add Siorac and maybe the walnut mill in Sainte-Nathalène. And I'm confused about where you are too.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Stu and StCirqu -- I had already left for the day when you sent your message Maybe Marqueyssac is closer and I just got it wrong -- I'm staying in Sarlat.

So -- just to update you all on what I did do -- I couldn't visit Chateau Milandes because it doesn't open until April 1 (a reason for another trip!), I spent half a day in Sarlat and ended up going to Castelnaud and Beynac. Can I just say that I was completely wrong about Castelnaud? I didn't think I would like it, but it really touched me. There was almost no one else there and it felt like I was alone in this amazing building. It was very intimate and interesting. The views were gorgeous, but what I really liked was that you just got to explore. There was no tour, you just explored the castle -- going up those little stairways was amazing.

Thanks again -- off to Provence tomorrow morning!
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:38 AM

Katimari -- I came across your message too late to help, but I just wanted to add that your discovery of Chateau Castelnaud is exactly why I encourage people to go there. I didn't want to visit it the first time because I thought a museum of medieval weaponry would be a "deadly" bore, or sort of a "guy" thing with a bunch of swords and cannons. But it's such an excellent museum, and the setting so spectacular, that you can find yourself really being drawn into the subject. And the views are stupendous!
You're just lucky you weren't there when the castle was full of a bunch of schoolchildren there on a visit. Not quite so much fun then!