One Late Night In London

Oct 15th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

One Late Night In London

Can anyone suggest what two "mature girls" can do in London on a Saturday night between flight arrival at 4pm - (Heathrow) and flight departure (6:30 am). It seems all transportation (except $$$ taxi) stops from around midnite and 5:30 am. We'd rather not be stuck in the airport in the wee hours of the night staring at each other.
We'd love to make new friends who would "mentor" us, and we will return the favor if ever in San Diego!
Oct 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM

If it was me -- I'd book a hotel at LHR, drop the bags and head straight in to town. W/ a 4 PM arrival you could check in and get in to the city by about 6:30 or 7PM.

Have dinner, go to a cocktail lounge, maybe walk around looking at the bldgs illuminated,ride the Eye and catch the last tube back to LHR and go to your hotel. The last Piccadilly line train leaves Covent Garden / Piccadilly Circus around 12:30 AM, so you can leave any time up til then - takes approx 50 mins to the airport.

If you stay in town til the last train you'll only be able to sleep/relax for a couple of hours - but that is better than schlepping around a dark London at 3AM. Me -- I'd try to be on the tube by about 11PM just to give me more time to unwind/sleep.
Oct 15th, 2013, 09:32 PM

"It seems all transportation (except $$$ taxi) stops from around midnite [sic] and 5:30 am"

Quite untrue, though I've no idea what a "$$$ taxi" is. Where do you get this nonsense from?

Go to tfl.gov.uk, and use the journey planner. The N9 bus runs throughout the night, at roughly 20 minute intervals, and the density of bus services overnight to get you to an N9 bus stop is probably substantially greater than San Diego has in the middle of the day.

From Green Park, the N9 at night takes 62 minutes to Heathrow bus station. The direct tube - which does stop at 0030 - takes 46 minutes for the same journey.
Oct 16th, 2013, 04:46 AM

I would think you would be pretty tired after your flight - I assume from San Diego. Get a room at Heathrow, drop your bags and freshen up, go into London for a nice dinner and walk a bit, return to the hotel, get some sleep and get up in time for your morning flight.

Frankly, I think I would choose the option of staying at the hotel, getting a good night's sleep and not worry about spending the night staring at each other. You really don't have time to see London.
Oct 17th, 2013, 03:38 AM

I'm with mamcalice on this one. Assuming you are coming in from San Diego (and it would have to be an indirect flight if you are arriving at 16:00, as the only direct flight is the BA one which arrives earlier I believe), you'll be heavily jet-lagged. This will be made even worse by the impending darkness. Find a nice airport hotel at LHR and try to rest.
Oct 17th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Based solely on the flight times I think they are arriving from elsewhere and departing to San Diego. But who knows??
Oct 17th, 2013, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't build my hopes on finding new friends to mentor me through a few hours of a layover, but hey, it happens.

Instead, I would make a plan based on the excellent information above. Maybe find a lively area for your dinner, and who knows what friends you might make.

I don't want to speak for anyone else here, but most of the people that I know who frequent this board are a little older and a little less likely to do any late night mentoring.

Perhaps a few people here can give you suggestions for a neighborhood or area to head to for dinner, where there might be some new friends to be made.