Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One Last Visit - What Would You Want to See Again One Last Time?

Oct 14th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm feeling a little melancholy tonight, so it's my turn for one of these "list" posts.

Feel free to respond with non-European sights - I am fascinated with how we are all moved by different things.

If my ticket was soon to be punched, I would want to go back to two places for that final trip (I started the list so I get two). In no particular order;

ROZENHOEDKAAI (Quay of the Rosary) - Brugge, Belgium

- A smile always crosses my face and a calm drifts over me whenever look across it. At night it is indescribable. I do not stop and I do not pass Go when I hit Brugge - it's straight to the Kaai.

BAMBERG RATHAUS - Bamberg, Germany

- as viewed from the Geyerswoerthstrasse footbridge. Every trip to Bamberg begins with a walk across the bridge on the way to Schlenkerla. Then, back to the bridge. Sometimes you just need to get your cantilever on.
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:12 PM

OK then, I'll choose 2 places also. I love road trips and grand scenery so I would go back to Norway and go further north this time and then I'd redo New Zealand and spend more time on North Island.

I always think Paris is good for unlimited visits, but if my number is up I want to go somewhere in the majestic outdoors.
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Tunnel view at Yosemite, or the sun setting behind Iona from Fionnphort, or Dunnottar Castle, or Inchmahome Priory.

But I need to get to more places . . .
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Try and be really specific - describe a vista. It's hard to look up Norway or New Zealand to see what moves you Parrothead, but I am going to check out Tunnel View, Fionnphort, Dunnottar.
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM

OK, descending down the trollsteigen into Geiranger Fjord is breathtaking (Norway).

As for New Zealand, it's hard to choose between the turquoise waters of Abel Tasman or Doubtful Sound for all it's glory.

All of these places are breathtaking. Go to Google images and explore away!!
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Oct 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM

My choices would be Boulders Beach south of Cape Town,South Africa where the penquins walk freely on the beach and probably Rome as it always brings a smile to my face!
Oct 15th, 2010, 12:02 AM

First choice: Go to my favorite city, London, sit on a bench on the Thames near Embankment with my SO, and look across the river at the South Bank with the Millennium Wheel and other structures in the background.

http://millenniumwheel.com/

Second choice: If I'm getting ready to meet my Maker, I would like to go back to Jerusalem, pray at the Garden of Gethsemane and the Western Wall, and wade in the River Jordan. I loved Jerusalem; it has a vibe unlike any other city I've ever been in. As for the river, didn't want to get out of the water.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...tern_Wall.html

http://www.biblestudy.org/biblepic/t...ethsemane.html

http://www.pitt.edu/~agtaylor/Israel/JordanRiver.html

Second choice (tie): Several years ago I checked into my room at the Mena House Hotel in Cairo. Set down my bags, opened the drapes onto the balcony, and literally screamed. The Great Pyramid loomed in front of me and looked close enough to touch. Absolutely awesome. I've never forgotten it.

http://www.oberoihotels.com/oberoi_menahouse/index.asp

Third choice: Sydney, Australia. Go to Circular Quay, sit on the grass, and look across at the Sydney Opera House.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Opera_House
Oct 15th, 2010, 12:04 AM

I'd sit at the Trevi Fountain in Rome at 3am under a full moon, and watch a sunset from St Mark's Square in Venice.
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:44 AM

Preah Kahn temple at Angkor, Cambodia
Place Seffarine in Fez, Morocco
Healey Pass on Beara Peninsula, Ireland
Oct 15th, 2010, 01:58 AM

A campsite in the Serengeti for me. It is sunset. I have had a shower after a day on a game drive. I am tired and happy having seen so many wonderful sights. There are elephants passing by, zebra calling in the background, wildebeest mooing (or however you describe that noise!), a Masai serves me a drink by the campfire, the fever trees aglow in the dying rays of the sun.
Oct 15th, 2010, 03:31 AM

Venice. at night standing on the rialto bridge with my DH.
Oct 15th, 2010, 03:48 AM

Just because it was wonderful, Arles in France - some of the Roman buildings, e.g. arena.

For peace as I go, the view of the lake at Glendalough, Ireland. The picture looking up the lake always instills an amazing sense of peace. I have to get back there.
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:58 AM

Aramis, those photos are beautiful. I've never been there. Thanks for posting.
Oct 15th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Botswana
Oct 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM

oops. meant to post a photo link
http://www.kodakgallery.com/imaging-...775103/jpeg/BG
Oct 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Two weeks revisiting Ireland, without my 80 yr old MIL and grumpy SIL. Just the wife and me. Then I could really enjoy it without having to be the caretaker, psychologist, medical technician and all round handyman.

dave
Oct 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Any more?
Oct 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM

2 heavenly spots:

1) Zion National Park - morning hours, halfway up the trail to Observation Point just before Echo Canyon. Turn around and watch the sun and shadows do their magic on the red canyon walls below.

2) Ach, Austria - Hotel Burgblick in a room on the river, upper floor, doors and windows wide open, facing the Salzach River and Burghausen, Germany during their Summer Solstice Festival. (It's an all-night jazz festival). The music, the bell tower, the river, the warm air...it leaves an indelible imprint of happiness.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO