Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   ONE Hour Sale Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-hour-sale-europe-560064/)

tuscanlifeedit Sep 21st, 2005 07:05 PM

ONE Hour Sale Europe

Just lucked into a USAirways sale that ends at midnight. 498 including taxes and fees, PIT to FCO, 3/1 to 3/13

someone may want to check it out

francophile03 Sep 21st, 2005 07:54 PM

I believe all the major airlines had a European sale within the last few days. Air France began their sale last week late. It ends Sept. 22 as well.

grandmere Sep 22nd, 2005 10:21 AM

Tuscanlifeedit, your great deal must be different from the sale that ends today, 9/22? If so, how did you find it? That's a great fare from PIT to FCO. Congrats!

tcreath Sep 22nd, 2005 11:02 AM

That is a great deal. However, I personally think that finding a great fare deal depends on the "luck of the draw". Some of the best fares I have found haven't been from sales but more to do with timing. For instance, I purchased flights back in March for St. Louis to Paris leaving this November 3rd. The airfare with taxes and fees came to about $320 per person. This wasn't a sale; I used the travelocity.com "flexible dates" feature and it came up. Four days later the price was double and hasn't been under that since.

By the way, I'm incredibly jealous! I love Rome and can't wait to go back.

Tracy

grandmere Sep 22nd, 2005 11:37 AM

I imagine you're right, tcreath; I guess I just don't persevere long/often enough to find the really good deals.

tuscanlifeedit Sep 22nd, 2005 01:50 PM

Hi Grandmere

How are you? I got an email from USAirways saying there was a sale, so I started to search for fares by price, knowing we wanted to go no earlier than March, and would have loved April.

It took a long time to find dates that worked at the cheapest fare (415 USD) without fees and taxes. My first choice was to go at the end of March, and fly into Venice, but having a huge wedding for DD next month, we couldn't spare anything extra without scaring the heck out of ourselves.

I find that Italy is always expensive to fly to and I am just thrilled with this fare. I've been searching a couple of times a week to break the pre-wedding tension, and this is way below any fare I've found.

I've not used the Travelocity flexible date thing... maybe next time.

tcreath: I agree with the luck of the draw thing, but Pittsburgh has been a captive city to USAirways for so long, that I've just about given up using anyone else. They have had us at their mercy for years.

And I use their credit card, Internet booking, and anything else I can find to collect FF miles on them. Thus...

tcreath Sep 22nd, 2005 01:57 PM

tuscanlifeedit, I know how you must feel. Being from St. Louis, we rarely enjoy the great sales that many east coast cities or even Chicago seem to endlessly offer. And since American (for which St. Louis is a hub) dropped a lot of the flights from St. Louis after 9/11, getting a non-stop flight to Europe is non-existent. And your absolutely right; that airfare is great. I have been to Rome twice, and both times my tickets were well over $600. I can usually find decent fares to London, Paris or Amsterdam, but rarely does a good deal come around for Italy.

Tracy

grandmere Sep 22nd, 2005 05:09 PM

TLE, I am fine! Have fun with your daughter's wedding; having a family wedding is such a good time--too bad they are so expensive! :-)

Guess I will have to wait until I retire to be able to search for the very best fare; I'm kind of locked into summer, holiday times, sp. break, etc. And I guess the days of any non-stop flights from PIT are gone forever.
Alas. :-(