Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   one extra day in Prague or Dresden? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-extra-day-in-prague-or-dresden-785346/)

danon May 19th, 2009 07:31 AM

one extra day in Prague or Dresden?

I have planned on staying 5 nights in Prague ( 4 full days) and 2 nights in Dresden ( 1/2, 1 and 1/2 days).
Should I add another day to Prague and shorten the time in Dresden?
I am going to Berlin after Dresden.

Christina May 19th, 2009 07:39 AM

I really do like Prague better than Dresden, and this is purely subjective, really -- however, since you only have 2 nights in Dresden to begin with, I would not shorten that stay to add to Prague. A lot of people find four days in Prague enough, from what I've read, although I love it there and have spent more time than that on multiple occasions. I didn't love Dresden, but still think you should not cut that time short unless you have a good reason. YOu didn't say why that was even appealing to you, so who knows -- I would not compare Dresden to Berlin, if that's what you are doing (ie, all Germany is the same).

dfr4848 May 19th, 2009 07:45 AM

Agree in general with Christina, although we really did like Dresden. The juxtaposition of old and new is quite amazing and found it an eminently enjoyable city. We only spent a day and really regreted not being able to stay longer. I would definitely not shorten the time you have planned. 4 full days in Prague will give you a nice visit.

danon May 19th, 2009 07:56 AM

Thanks for your replies - it is my first time in all 3 cities .
Any suggestions for a hotel in Dresden? ( I am staying in a private home in Prague, hotel Malia in Berlin).
I'll have 5 full days in Berlin.
Interested in : museums, galleries, art, history architecture etc....I prefer to take it easy and not plan my days ahead of the trip.

danon May 19th, 2009 08:11 AM

that is... Melia

Delaine May 19th, 2009 08:24 AM

I loved both Prague and Dresden; I also liked Berlin, but not as much. While it has wonderful museums and history, I prefer the "feel" of the other cities.

I don't know your budget, but I stayed at the Hilton in Dresden and would recommend it. It is very centrally located, just minutes from the Frauenkirche, the Residenzschloss, the Brühlsche Terrasse, the Zwinger, etc.

I share your interests in art, history and architecture, and you should find all of these in these 3 cities to your heart's content.

danon May 19th, 2009 08:36 AM

thanks Delanie,
Hilton in Dresden fits my budget , but the booking at "my" price in non-refundable so I might wait until I finalize my plans ( the trip is in mid -July).

Ingo May 20th, 2009 02:54 PM

Why didn't you tag the thread "Germany" as well?

Regarding the interests that you listed I'd add another night to Dresden - but then again, I am biased ;-)

You won't even have time to visit one of the amazing smaller towns or palaces/castles in the vicinity of Dresden, which is a shame (thinking of Meißen, Pirna, Freiberg, Bautzen ... Moritzburg, Weesenstein, Königstein etc.) since they're within an hour reach.

I don't like the Hilton; it so lacks any charm. I highly recommend the Radisson SAS Gewandhaus Hotel. Much nicer. Another good option is the Steigenberger de Saxe. Don't know if the Kempinski Taschenbergpalais is in your budget range; it would be No. 1. That's where Pres. Obama will stay 4/5 June.