One day trip to Pompei..train or tour..

Apr 25th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

One day trip to Pompei..train or tour..

Thank you for all of the great ideas. I have another question as I dig through all of my notes. I see that Pompei is a possible daytrip from Rome. Given that there are 5 of us would we be wise to take a private tour out of Rome or should we take the AV train? Has anyone done this "day trip" with kids? We would also like to see the Muse Archeologico Natzionale during the same day. Thanks...again
Apr 25th, 2006, 12:52 PM
ira

Hi H,

It is a looooonnnnnnggg day.

You can get train prices for Rome to Naples at www.trenitalia.com.

If the kids are under 12, you get the "Famiglia" rate for one of them.

You then take the Circumvesuviana commuter line (basement of the station) to Pompei Scavi.

The Museum is one stop from the Naples train station on the Metro.

Apr 25th, 2006, 12:56 PM
LJ

I have done this with a student tour group and, for once, we did not attempt to self-lead our high-schoolers. Take a tour and be sensitive to the likelihood that they will drop out of the official tour early...it is a LONG day.
Apr 25th, 2006, 12:59 PM

If you want to include the archeological museum, and I highly recommend it, I would opt for the private guided tour if it is at all affordable.

It will be a long day, but see if you can arrange with the guide for good midday pizza break.

If you are going in summer, be sure to take sun protection.
Apr 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM

PS: If you can possibly overnight in the area, it is worth it.
Apr 25th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I took a daytrip to Pompeii from Rome and had a wonderful time. Sure its a long day, but nothing too difficult. We took a 7:00 a.m. train and got to Pompeii around 10:30. We spent about 5 hours there and were back in Rome in time to have dinner.

Still, if you are looking for a similar experience but a lot closer I urge you to look into Ostia Antica. It's a very large ancient ruined port town. Its a lot less crowded than Pompeii, and you can get there by public transportation in about 30 minutes.

Tracy
Apr 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Hooked - FYI - the AV train currently only saves 15-20 mins on the Eurostar - and costs 50% more.

Steve
Apr 27th, 2006, 06:45 PM

Hi, We really wanted to see Pompei and the Museo also on a day trip from Rome. We splurged on a car and driver and I felt it was worth every penny. You might have trouble fitting five people in one car, but maybe you could find a van. Remember the train costs about 45 euro, if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure our car cost about 500 euro which we split between us. If you want the website, I can find it again. The car picked us up about 8am and we had plenty of time to tour Pompei in the morning. Then, we went to Naples and this being Italy found the museum "temporarily closed" Our driver recommended a good restaurant nearby for lunch and when we were done, the museum was, luckily, open once again. The museum was just fantastic, it really "makes" Pompei come alive--the mosaics and frescos are amazing considering their age. But, when we were done, we were very tired and I was so very glad to have the car waiting. Also, the weather was cool-if you are going in the summer, it is supposed to be very hot there....