Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

One-day trip from Dublin, where should I go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Maria

I am planning a five days trip to Dublin during March. I was wondering, If I had a spare day where should I go outside Dublin? I don't know the distances, so what would be the best for one day trip with bus or train? Or it would be better If I could rent a car?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:28 AM
Mick

Hi Maria<BR><BR>It all really depends on what your interests are. There's a ton of different things to see and do around Dublin.<BR><BR>One that I would recommend (especially if you are into scenery/nature or hiking) is to check out Glendaloch. It's about an hour or so away from Dublin, by car or tour bus. (A very popular tourist destination = tons of tour busses, etc, that can take you up there from Dublin City Centre). There are ruins there which date back more than 1000 years, there are two lakes, mountain splendor, etc. Def. worth a visit. Also, it is along the Wicklow Way, a major hiking trail. Just a few hours out along it and a few hours back will be very rewarding.... views of gorges, watrefalls, panoramic vistas of hills and valleys, etc.<BR><BR>If that's not your bag, then setting out in about any direction from Dublin will bring you to something equally cool. There's a castle in Maynooth, fer instance. Or, just spend the time shopping or doing whatever you like.<BR><BR>Anyway, tere's some more info on my website. Best of luck!!<BR><BR>Mick<BR>www.dfaguide.com <BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Tim

Ummm, isn't it Glendalough?

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 06:43 AM
mikey

I agree with Mick's suggestions as my first choice also. You could also take a train trip to Kilkenny (a wonderful medievel town) and spend some time walking around.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Bill

Glendalough (good to see the spelling police are out) is a great choice and is pretty easy to get to by bus. If I were only going to have a car for one day, I don't think I would rent a car. It may not be worth getting used to driving on the left for one day.<BR><BR>Another excellent choice in the opposite direction is the Newgrange area which has a number of prehistoric passage grave sites. Stonehenge kind of stuff. It is also VERY interesting. Both place are listed by Michelin as one of the top spots to see in Ireland.<BR><BR>Have a good time.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 12:42 PM
kam

Glendalough or Newgrange if you are a history buff. Kilkenny is just a jewel for everyone. Drive out to Kildare if you love horses. But,know that you can easily stay put in Dublin for 5 days without a problem.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Maria

Thanks to all of you for your advice. Is it maybe a bad idea to go to Glendalough during March? I understood that you have to walk two hours to go from the one lake to the other. I think that this must be ideal for summertime, but I am afraid that the weather won't be so nice this time of the year. <BR>Anyway, how can I go to Newgrange? <BR>Have you anything else to recommend me?

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:56 AM
xxx

I visited Glendalough last January. Yes, it was cold, but well worth the visit. The history was awe-inspiring and the area was beautiful. Just be sure to wear a warm jacket, comfortable shoes and don't let a little cold weather from letting you see this site.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Vern

As an American living in Dublin, I frequently get the opportunity to host friends and relatives visiting from the States. Day trips are many and varied, and almost anywhere in Ireland is accessible from Dublin within a few hours. The Tourist Office off Suffolk Street is a "must stop" and provides information on numerous day trips out of Dublin and return. On your own, the train trip from Dublin to Galway on the western coast of Ireland is a three hour journey under generally pleasant circumstances. My favorite trip has been the bus ride from Dublin to Enneskerry, breakfast at Poppies "Counry Cooking", and a short hike up to Powerscourt. Otherwise, there is absolutely plenty to do in Dublin itself.<BR><BR>Vern

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:48 PM

Maria, It is not a two hour walk between the lakes at Glendalough. Whoever told you that must have crawled on their hands and knees. It might take 15 or 20 minutes at a regular walking speed. If you take a tour they will probably drive you from one lake to the other. Dont miss Glendalough it's worthwhile at any time of year.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:58 AM