Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   One day train trip to Florence from Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/one-day-train-trip-to-florence-from-rome-413961/)

jfdut84 Aug 15th, 2008 05:23 PM

One day train trip to Florence from Rome

My wife and I had a great trip to Italy earlier this summer (7 night cruise and then 4 nights in Rome). One part of our agenda was a one day train trip from Rome to Florence ad back to Rome. We caught a 9AM non-stop train to Florence, got there at 10:40AM. We had Noon reservations at the Accademia (the David) and 4:45PM reservations at the Ufizzi Galery. It was a great day, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, did not feel rushed, had casual dining experiences and caught the 9PM non-stop train back to Rome. I share this experience with all because before we planned our trip out I had inquired about this idea and many gave me feedback on Fodors that it would be too tough, too much to see in Florence, etc. I just wanted to let folks know it can be done and done enjoyably. By the way, we used one of our 4 full days in Rome to do this, and still were able to do all the major sightseeing we wanted to do in Rome. It was a great trip decision for us to include the Florence day trip.

zeppole Aug 15th, 2008 05:55 PM

I'm not sure what your point is. That you got bad advice on Fodor's from people who sincerely thought you might care enough about art and architecture and Renaissance history to grieve once you got to Firenze and saw the mind-boggling treasure trove there, and realized you had to go back to Rome the same day without having time to begin to see it?

You've come back to announce "it can be done." What can be done? A three-hour round-trip train ride plus a look at David and a walk through the Uffizi, between lunch and dinner? I doubt anybody on Fodor's told you that couldn't be done.

You probably never wanted to see much of what is in Firenze, and that's fine. I'm sure you'd enjoyed your day and that's all that counts. Obviously you don't need or want to go back.

Others plainly will miss out if they follow your advice.

zeppole Aug 15th, 2008 06:20 PM

Well, here is jfdut84's original thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...ut84&fid=2

Actually, most people encouraged him in his already fixed idea of doing Firenze as a day trip from Rome. A few pointed out that he'd be taking away from Rome to see very little of Firenze. He announced himself not to be much interested in art, architecture or history -- no shame there -- and therefore doubted he and his wife would want more than a glance at the Duomo and the famous stuff in Florence.

Unsurprisingly, he has returned from his day in Firenze, satisfied with his limited sightseeing.

What has this got to do with anybody else's trip?

LoveItaly Aug 15th, 2008 07:21 PM

Hello jfdut84, I am glad to hear you enjoyed your day trip to Florence. With a short amount of time it is important for each traveller to work out what works for them. And obviously the train to Florence, getting a taste of Florence and returning to Rome worked great for you. Your post for others that do not have a long time in Italy will be of interest I am sure. Wishing you many more trips and wonderful days as you had in Florence and in Rome.

zeppole Aug 15th, 2008 07:42 PM

I wish him more happy days too and I shouldn't have crabbed at him like that, but if you look at his original thread, 9 out of 10 people encouraged him to take the day trip once he explained why he wanted to do it.

I'm just rather irked he left the impression with this post that he overcame some mighty discouragement from Fodorites -- who offered him sincere advice and encouragement toward making the most of his brief stay, including information about making museum reservations -- and that others needed to be warned in some fashion against collective bad advice.

Not so, as the record shows.

Shanti Aug 15th, 2008 07:53 PM

jfdut84, glad that you were able to work out your schedule to visit Florence & that you enjoyed it.

vincenzod Aug 16th, 2008 01:56 AM

May I say my personal opinion ?
Very often the best way to appreciate the Italian towns, the very famous as Rome, Florence and Venice and, even more, the less famous meaning the hundreds small hill towns, is to stay there during the sunset, then to dine there choosing the right restaurant and also sleep there at least one night in a charming little hotel. Otherwise it happens that you become someone who flags his check-list of the things to see rather than try to fall sweetly and in a lovely way under the atmosphere of these places, that often is a magical atmoshere but often it is hidden during the day and appears when the dark becomes the king.
It is only my personal opinion, that's all.

Vincenzo

kfusto Aug 16th, 2008 04:36 AM

Vincenzo, I agree completely! The best parts of my visits to Italy are in the early mornings watching the cities come awake and then enjoying the piazzas in the evening during passagiata. I am not a "drive by" kind of traveler.

Some folks like fast food and fast trips that just hit the highlights. I am a slow food gal who likes to stop and smell and capuccino:)

adrienne Aug 16th, 2008 05:43 AM

You're right on, Vincenzo! One of my very memorable experiences in Florence is walking into the Piazza Signoria early on a Sunday morning with very few people about and listening to a violin busker in the square. I believe he was playing for enjoyment rather than to earn money since it was so early and he wouldn't have earned much money. It was a wonderful experience.

Everyone travels differently and looks for different things to enjoy from their trips. That's the beauty of this forum - that there's something for everyone here and we can all share our experiences.

johnwm Aug 17th, 2008 04:57 PM

Hi, jfdut84!

Thank you for sharing your recent experience. I was always curious as to whether one could do a quick visit from Rome up to Florence as a daytrip. I'm glad to hear that it can be done successfully. I myself have visited Florence several times, but would certainly enjoy a quick trip solely to visit the museum.

Once again, thanks for sharing.